A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Another oldie showcasing Soaring's Finest?

Old January 29th 21, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net
external usenet poster

Default Another oldie showcasing Soaring's Finest?

When I see an aircraft tail number in an old movie or advert I like to look it up to see if the ship is still flying - especially gliders.

I found that N5752S was previously registered to a 2-33A and that registration was cancelled in 1989. So that prettily painted ship is no longer with us (DOA or left the country) and the tail number was subsequently reassigned. Nothing new there. BTW: I could not find any NTSB report for N5752S (yep, I looked in the two NTSB databases for pre-2009 and post-2008 events).

N5752S is currently registered to a Blank L-13 (registered to Silver Creek Glider Club located NE of St Louis*) as of 2002. The odd part is that this L-13 was manufactured in 1967, two years before the car commercial was made!

I'm curious what happened to this L-13 between 1967 and 2002. Lived at another club? Lived outside the US before being imported into the US? Is it flying now with a repaired spar?

Expiring minds want to know.

Thanks, John OHM

* The SSA "Where to Fly" database shows an L-13 associated with the St. Louis Soaring Association but none at Silver Creek. Mysteries inside of mysteries.
Old January 29th 21, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS
external usenet poster

On Friday, January 29, 2021 at 11:30:25 AM UTC-5, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
When I see an aircraft tail number in an old movie or advert I like to look it up to see if the ship is still flying - especially gliders.

I found that N5752S was previously registered to a 2-33A and that registration was cancelled in 1989. So that prettily painted ship is no longer with us (DOA or left the country) and the tail number was subsequently reassigned. Nothing new there. BTW: I could not find any NTSB report for N5752S (yep, I looked in the two NTSB databases for pre-2009 and post-2008 events).

N5752S is currently registered to a Blank L-13 (registered to Silver Creek Glider Club located NE of St Louis*) as of 2002. The odd part is that this L-13 was manufactured in 1967, two years before the car commercial was made!

I'm curious what happened to this L-13 between 1967 and 2002. Lived at another club? Lived outside the US before being imported into the US? Is it flying now with a repaired spar?

Thanks, John OHM

* The SSA "Where to Fly" database shows an L-13 associated with the St. Louis Soaring Association but none at Silver Creek. Mysteries inside of mysteries.

Snooping around on that website brought up this:
https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/v...ch_results_adp

And now we know why they are called 'Sail-planes'!

Uli
'AS'
Old January 29th 21, 11:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell
external usenet poster

On 1/29/21 11:35 AM, AS wrote:
On Friday, January 29, 2021 at 11:30:25 AM UTC-5, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:

Thanks, John OHM

Snooping around on that website brought up this:
https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/v...ch_results_adp

And now we know why they are called 'Sail-planes'!

Uli
'AS'

Another Caproni invention perhaps??? This one makes the nine-winged
airliner look absolutely sane. :-)
Old January 30th 21, 12:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]
external usenet poster

On Fri, 29 Jan 2021 15:51:24 -0700, kinsell wrote:

Thinking about that Caproni - it features in "The Wind Rises", a Japanese
anime by Hayao Miyazaki. If you like these films, this is a cracker.

--
--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old January 30th 21, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS
external usenet poster

On Friday, January 29, 2021 at 6:23:44 PM UTC-5, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Fri, 29 Jan 2021 15:51:24 -0700, kinsell wrote:

Thinking about that Caproni - it features in "The Wind Rises", a Japanese
anime by Hayao Miyazaki. If you like these films, this is a cracker.

--
--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Got that movie in my collection, of course! :-)

Uli
'AS'
Old January 30th 21, 02:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS
external usenet poster

On Friday, January 29, 2021 at 5:51:28 PM UTC-5, kinsell wrote:

No, I think this one sprung from the mind of an intrepid American.
Can you imagine how much better this thing would have flown without the sails?

Uli
'AS'
Old January 31st 21, 02:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

OMG!Â* Did he leave that glider unsecured?

Dan 5J

On 1/28/21 3:09 PM, Steve Leonard wrote:
Google searching for something else, and stumbled on to this 1969 ad.

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/v...?adppopup=true

Flame Suit on!!

Steve Leonard