Another oldie showcasing Soaring's Finest?

Old January 29th 21, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Default Another oldie showcasing Soaring's Finest?

When I see an aircraft tail number in an old movie or advert I like to look it up to see if the ship is still flying - especially gliders.

I found that N5752S was previously registered to a 2-33A and that registration was cancelled in 1989. So that prettily painted ship is no longer with us (DOA or left the country) and the tail number was subsequently reassigned. Nothing new there. BTW: I could not find any NTSB report for N5752S (yep, I looked in the two NTSB databases for pre-2009 and post-2008 events).

N5752S is currently registered to a Blank L-13 (registered to Silver Creek Glider Club located NE of St Louis*) as of 2002. The odd part is that this L-13 was manufactured in 1967, two years before the car commercial was made!

I'm curious what happened to this L-13 between 1967 and 2002. Lived at another club? Lived outside the US before being imported into the US? Is it flying now with a repaired spar?

Expiring minds want to know.

Thanks, John OHM

* The SSA "Where to Fly" database shows an L-13 associated with the St. Louis Soaring Association but none at Silver Creek. Mysteries inside of mysteries.
Old January 29th 21, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Friday, January 29, 2021 at 11:30:25 AM UTC-5, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
[...]

Snooping around on that website brought up this:
https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/v...ch_results_adp

And now we know why they are called 'Sail-planes'!

Uli
'AS'
Old January 29th 21, 11:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

On 1/29/21 11:35 AM, AS wrote:
[...]

Another Caproni invention perhaps??? This one makes the nine-winged
airliner look absolutely sane. :-)
Old January 30th 21, 12:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Fri, 29 Jan 2021 15:51:24 -0700, kinsell wrote:

Another Caproni invention perhaps??? This one makes the nine-winged
airliner look absolutely sane. :-)

Thinking about that Caproni - it features in "The Wind Rises", a Japanese
anime by Hayao Miyazaki. If you like these films, this is a cracker.

Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old January 30th 21, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Friday, January 29, 2021 at 6:23:44 PM UTC-5, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Fri, 29 Jan 2021 15:51:24 -0700, kinsell wrote:

Another Caproni invention perhaps??? This one makes the nine-winged
airliner look absolutely sane. :-)

Thinking about that Caproni - it features in "The Wind Rises", a Japanese
anime by Hayao Miyazaki. If you like these films, this is a cracker.

Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Got that movie in my collection, of course! :-)

Uli
'AS'
Old January 30th 21, 02:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Friday, January 29, 2021 at 5:51:28 PM UTC-5, kinsell wrote:
Another Caproni invention perhaps??? This one makes the nine-winged
airliner look absolutely sane. :-)

No, I think this one sprung from the mind of an intrepid American.
Can you imagine how much better this thing would have flown without the sails?

Uli
'AS'
Old January 31st 21, 02:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

OMG!Â* Did he leave that glider unsecured?

Dan 5J

On 1/28/21 3:09 PM, Steve Leonard wrote:
Google searching for something else, and stumbled on to this 1969 ad.

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/v...?adppopup=true

Flame Suit on!!

Steve Leonard

Antonov An-22 pics 4 [4/4] - Soviet 1965 post stamp showcasing the An-22 success at the Paris Air Show..jpg (1/1) Miloch Aviation Photos 0 December 14th 19 02:32 PM
Non-Stop Soaring Film Fest: Showcasing The Best Soaring Videos Kemp[_2_] Soaring 20 December 21st 11 10:25 AM
oldie Fabio Aviation Photos 0 January 21st 08 04:31 PM
Battle of Britain in Art - JLM-Nicolas Trudgian-Their Finest Hour3.jpg (1/1) Mitchell Holman Aviation Photos 2 December 17th 06 06:55 PM
Combat exercise showcasing proposed uniform, By Airman 1st Class Terri Barriere Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 June 11th 04 01:47 AM