what did hobie sorrell mean?

Old March 4th 06, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default what did hobie sorrell mean?

hobie sorell wrote something in the description of his Guppy plans
that is perplexing. I'm almost sure I know what he meant.

"aileron hinge bushings are made from a 1" plastic pipe T.
turn them to 1"od and cut to 1" lengths.
they are adjusted for tightness and made installable by cutting a slot
in them, as required, to make fridicative."

what the hell is the word fridicative?????????

this term is not in the oxford english dictionary so I'm assuming it
is an americal colloquialism.
can any of you guys give me the american meaning of the term?

(and, groan, I know I'm vulnerable to you pulling my leg)
Stealth Pilot
Australia
Old March 4th 06, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

In article ,
Stealth Pilot wrote:

hobie sorell wrote something in the description of his Guppy plans
that is perplexing. I'm almost sure I know what he meant.

"aileron hinge bushings are made from a 1" plastic pipe T.
turn them to 1"od and cut to 1" lengths.
they are adjusted for tightness and made installable by cutting a slot
in them, as required, to make fridicative."

what the hell is the word fridicative?????????

this term is not in the oxford english dictionary so I'm assuming it
is an americal colloquialism.
can any of you guys give me the american meaning of the term?

(and, groan, I know I'm vulnerable to you pulling my leg)
Stealth Pilot
Australia

No colloquialism here, mate; it's a typo, plain and simple, and I have
no idea what he meant to write.
Old March 4th 06, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 09:19:56 -0800, Smitty Two wrote:

In article ,
Stealth Pilot wrote:

"aileron hinge bushings are made from a 1" plastic pipe T.
turn them to 1"od and cut to 1" lengths.
they are adjusted for tightness and made installable by cutting a slot
in them, as required, to make fridicative."

what the hell is the word fridicative?????????

No colloquialism here, mate; it's a typo, plain and simple, and I have
no idea what he meant to write.

It's a possibility he meant "Fricative"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fricative

While it's used in speech, the definition has to do with forcing air through a
narrow channel.

Just a guess, mind you....

Ron Wanttaja
Old March 4th 06, 06:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

("Ron Wanttaja" wrote)
It's a possibility he meant "Fricative"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fricative

While it's used in speech, the definition has to do with forcing air
through a narrow channel.

So I'm reading what Ron W posted and...it loops me over to aerodynamics.
Hmm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fricative
A particular subset of fricatives are the SIBILANTS (sometimes referred to
as stridents). When forming a sibilant, one still is forcing air through a
narrow channel, but in addition the tongue is curled lengthwise to direct
the air over the edge of the teeth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sibilant
THE TERM:
The term sibilant is often taken to be synonymous with the term strident,
though this is incorrect - there is variation in usage. The term sibilant
tends to have an articulatory or aerodynamic definition involving the
production of aperiodic noise at an obstacle. Strident refers to the
perceptual quality of intensity as determined by amplitude and frequency
characteristics of the resulting sound (i.e. an auditory, or possibly
acoustic, definition).

Montblack
"Have Mouse - Will Travel"

Old March 5th 06, 10:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Sat, 4 Mar 2006 15:56:49 -0500, "James R. Freeman"
wrote:

Allmost tight.

"Stealth Pilot" wrote in message
.. .

hobie sorell wrote something in the description of his Guppy plans
that is perplexing. I'm almost sure I know what he meant.

"aileron hinge bushings are made from a 1" plastic pipe T.
turn them to 1"od and cut to 1" lengths.
they are adjusted for tightness and made installable by cutting a slot
in them, as required, to make fridicative."

what the hell is the word fridicative?????????

this term is not in the oxford english dictionary so I'm assuming it
is an americal colloquialism.
can any of you guys give me the american meaning of the term?

(and, groan, I know I'm vulnerable to you pulling my leg)
Stealth Pilot
Australia

I think you're correct. looking at Ron's reference I'd rewrite it as
"as required, to make a snug fit"

learn something new every day.
Stealth Pilot
Old March 6th 06, 12:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

See below ............latin .....to rub

Reference American Heritage® Dictionary

fricassee Frick, Henry Clay

CONTENTS · INDEX · ILLUSTRATIONS · BIBLIOGRAPHIC RECORD

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth
Edition. 2000.

fricative

SYLLABICATION: fric·a·tive
PRONUNCIATION: frk-tv
NOUN: A consonant, such as f or s in English, produced by the forcing of
breath through a constricted passage. Also called spirant.
ADJECTIVE: Of, relating to, or being a fricative consonant.
ETYMOLOGY: New Latin frictvus, from Latin frictus, past participle of
fricre, to rub.

--
Ian Kentish in Bendigo AU
36:46:13 S ---- 144:15:466