Let's move on

Old August 14th 08, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Default Let's move on

Bob Noel wrote:
In article ,
Stealth Pilot wrote:

I suggest joining Pilots of America
Well, from where I sit, the title is somewhat exclusive...

ditto

Which is more important, the title of the web-based forum
or lack of usenet sewerage?

(of course, I would prefer to have the usenet participants
behave themselves, but I'm not holding my breath...)

Can't speak for others, but my experience on that group is that it is
NOT exclusive in any way at all. In fact, my impression is that they go
way out of their way to make ALL pilots feel welcome there.
Of course there will always be those from Usenet who believe that simply
because the hosts of this forum are from the U.S. that this means it's
an "exclusive" group :-))

--
Dudley Henriques
Old August 14th 08, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
F. Baum

On Aug 14, 5:57*am, "Viperdoc" The ignore approach has been
advocated, but there will always be someone who
takes the bait, and this starts the endless cycle again.

Sad isnt it ? Agree 101 % that the attention starved doofus would just
go away if no one responded.

I simply offered the alternative, which is Pilots of
America, and other boards, that are actually focused on aviation related
topics, and not Anthony.

Im gonna respectfully disagree on the POA argument. I have made a few
passes through that board (And others) and here is what I have
noticed. First, this seems to be a close knit group of mostly East
Coast pilots who all get together on occasion . While this is good for
them, for the rest of us it amounts to a large quantity of non
aviation related "Small talk" amongst aquantances that wouldnt hold
anyone elses intrest. Second, the level of expertertise and experience
over there seems to be quite a bit lower than over here. Once again,
this is good for small talk but if you want meaningfull aviation
discussion you might keep looking. You can post just about any
response you want on POA no mater how inaccurate as long as you dont
flame or use expletitives . In fact, they have their own versions of
MX over there. They are the ones who know anything about everything
and a couple of them sugest or imply much more experience in much
bigger airplanes than what they actually have, just like our well
known troll. Take a look at the post counters and you can see members
with thousands of posts and many of the high post count members also
have the least meaningful (Aviation wise) content.
I am begining to think that it is just the nature of these groups.
FB

Old August 14th 08, 05:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Dudley,

Give it a try.

I might. Thanks for the explanation.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 14th 08, 06:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
Thomas Borchert wrote:

Give it a try.

I might. Thanks for the explanation.

Note that you might want to avoid the "spin zone"... I think the
default is now for new folks not to be subscribed to it.

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)

Old August 14th 08, 06:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 21:52:34 -0500, Viperdoc wrote:

For the real pilots and students, I suggest joining Pilots of America, a
moderated group. It is what this NG used to be, before it was ruined by
Anthony and his likes.

I donno... web based forums suffer from being slow and cumbersome to use.
Besides, the couple of times I've been there, I didn't see any familiar
names and just never got excited about what was there.

--
Dallas
Old August 14th 08, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
Dallas wrote:

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 21:52:34 -0500, Viperdoc wrote:

For the real pilots and students, I suggest joining Pilots of America, a
moderated group. It is what this NG used to be, before it was ruined by
Anthony and his likes.

I donno... web based forums suffer from being slow and cumbersome to use.
Besides, the couple of times I've been there, I didn't see any familiar
names and just never got excited about what was there.

well, there are currently more on-topic threads than in the rec.aviation.* groups

(ps - I much prefer the usenet gui - the web-based stuff is worse than
cumbersome).

Old August 14th 08, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross

Dallas wrote:
On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 21:52:34 -0500, Viperdoc wrote:

For the real pilots and students, I suggest joining Pilots of America, a
moderated group. It is what this NG used to be, before it was ruined by
Anthony and his likes.

I donno... web based forums suffer from being slow and cumbersome to use.
Besides, the couple of times I've been there, I didn't see any familiar
names and just never got excited about what was there.

I now have filters that excludes the known troll traffic. (and Bertie
has shown he can defeat it). I do like this forum for its ease of use. I
like the suggestion to just ignore and do not respond - never, ever. If
it is a safety issue then start a new thread and discuss the topic.
Hopefully, the old regulars will check and migrate back. I would like to
see more discussion on R.A.O.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old August 14th 08, 06:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marco Leon[_5_]

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
news
Can't speak for others, but my experience on that group is that it is NOT
exclusive in any way at all. In fact, my impression is that they go way
out of their way to make ALL pilots feel welcome there.
Of course there will always be those from Usenet who believe that simply
because the hosts of this forum are from the U.S. that this means it's an
"exclusive" group :-))

I've been to POA a few times but what I personally dislike is the setup of
the forums. With over ten different "rooms" that overlap in subject matter
it's hard to get a good picture of what's going on without going into each
one. When I do reply and/or post, I forget which room I did it in. Granted,
I can find threads through searches but it gets real old real quick.

I still find myself going to rec.aviation first. Then again, I've got Mx and
others on my ignore list so I never see their threads and most related
content.

Marco

Old August 14th 08, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Marco Leon wrote:
[...]

The venue is different, that's for sure. Some who are used to Usenet
will never like a web forum. I have trouble myself sometimes figuring
out who is answering whom :-))
The bottom line for me is that ALL forms of public aviation posting have
lost their lustre for me, and I don't post anywhere near as often as I
used to.
To be quite frank, I'm just tired of dealing with it. I still drop a few
lines here and there but I've given up long ago caring who agrees or
disagrees with me on anything.
They say this comes to all who stay on forums for any length of time.
There's some truth to it for sure :-))

--
Dudley Henriques
Old August 14th 08, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
terry

On Aug 15, 12:31*am, Stealth Pilot
wrote:
On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 12:57:57 +0200, Thomas Borchert

wrote:
Viperdoc,

I suggest joining Pilots of America

Well, from where I sit, the title is somewhat exclusive...

I joined POA ( I am an Aussie also for those that dont know), and
while there is certainly no discrimination against non americans, I
find that interesting aviation discussions are few and far between
amongst the general chit chat. Its more like a social chat board than
a genuine aviation discussion group. I guess thats what you might
expect to happen when you have strict rules about how people have to
interact with each other, the friendly types stay around and become
good friends, nothing wrong with that of course but I already have
enough friends ( 3 counting my wife) and I just want somewhere to go
and talk technical stuff about flying.
Terry
PPL Downunder.