FAA fuel waivers

Old June 10th 06, 02:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default FAA fuel waivers

Can anyone back up this claim? It sounds convincing, but I want to
have a second opinion:

----Start quote-----
Apparently, the FAA (the same FAA who was going against our contract
and has cut out budget, cut trainees to replace all the people
retiring, and is attempting to speed up training by rushing through
important steps) is giving airlines a waver on gas. This waver states
that they don't have to fill up the plane all the way so they can save
on fuel costs. This means, they have exactly the amount of fuel they
need to get to their destination +45 minutes. Anything under that +45
minutes means an emergency. So that means these aircraft were getting
close to that emergency point. It's dangerous for the pilot, the
controller, and the passengers espicially.
-----End quote-----

I would appreciate any information anyone has about this. At least if
it's true or not.

Thanks!

Old June 10th 06, 02:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote in message
ups.com

Can anyone back up this claim? It sounds convincing, but I want to
have a second opinion:

FAA regulations are on the web. Check it out and let us know.

--
John T
http://sage1solutions.com/TknoFlyer

Old June 10th 06, 02:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

§ 91.167 Fuel requirements for flight in IFR conditions.
(a) No person may operate a civil aircraft in IFR conditions unless it
carries enough fuel (considering weather reports and forecasts and
weather conditions) to-

(1) Complete the flight to the first airport of intended landing;

(2) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, fly from that
airport to the alternate airport; and

(3) Fly after that for 45 minutes at normal cruising speed or, for
helicopters, fly after that for 30 minutes at normal cruising speed.
--
so i guess this kind of fueling behavior is normal based on these
regulations. this is probably what airlines have been doing all along.

John T wrote:
ups.com

Old June 10th 06, 03:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

It's not a waiver, its a rule and it's nothing new. An airliner has to
carry enough fuel to get to it's destination, divert to it's alternate
plus 45 minutes. You can't have a rule that "you have to fill up".
Filling up might not be ENOUGH fuel. Don't worry about THIS one, almost
all captains, being cautious, add a little extra fuel over the required
fuel so they have some cushion. Fuel exhaustion with airliners is very
rare, it has happened, but it's not likely. They watch their fuel very
carefully.

Old June 10th 06, 03:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Who are you?!?!
Are you any kin to ?

===== did someone leave the Troll Gate open??==========

Old June 10th 06, 03:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Hmm... I don't /think/ I know that person. Maybe. Where do they live?

Old June 10th 06, 04:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

This waver states
that they don't have to fill up the plane all the way so they can save
on fuel costs.

"Filling up" the plane is not a requirment. "Having enough gas" is
(where "enough" is defined in the regs and includes reserves). You
don't have to have "more than enough", otherwise that amount would be
what "enough" would be, and we're back where we started.

Now, "enough" means "enough to get to your destination, fly the
approach, go to the alternate, fly the approach, and fly 45 minutes at
full cruise". Depending on what you pick for an alternate, you may need
more or less gas. Depending on what you pick for a destination, the
same is true.

The "destination" doesn't have to be "where you want to go". What I
have heard some pilots do is to make the place they want to go the
alternate, and pick a "destination" that is short of that. This
requires less gas. If they manage to get a better tailwind, then by the
time they get to their destination (not where they wanted to go), they
may still have enough gas to get to the alternate (which is where they
wanted to go), AND fly to another legal alternate, AND still fly for 45
minutes. IF this happens, they re-file with the new plan and keep
flying. The risk is that if this does NOT happen, they will need to
land short of where they wanted to go.

It sounds like cheating, but safety is NOT compromised, because they
always have a place to land in the plan, and sufficient reserves.

Jose
--
The price of freedom is... well... freedom.
Old June 10th 06, 05:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 9 Jun 2006 19:03:34 -0700, "Doug"
wrote:

It's not a waiver, its a rule and it's nothing new. An airliner has to
carry enough fuel to get to it's destination, divert to it's alternate
plus 45 minutes. You can't have a rule that "you have to fill up".
Filling up might not be ENOUGH fuel.

And filling up might also mean TOO MUCH fuel. The airplane must be
loaded less than its maximum takeoff weight. Satisfying that
requirement may entail leaving the tanks partially empty. For a short
trip, an airplane taking off with full tanks could still have so much
fuel aboard on arrival that it would above its maximum landing weight.
In that case, the aircraft must depart with less fuel.

Operating with reduced fuel loads has always been a part of safe and
legal operation of the aircraft. Filling the tanks completely could be
illegal and unsafe in some circumstances.

RK Henry
Old June 11th 06, 06:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

One well known author for Flying magazine and pilot with U.S. Airways
once asked the flight department to research if any pilot had ever
asked for a 767 to be topped off in the history of the airline. He
found only one case. It costs a lot of money to take fuel, carry it up
to 33,000 feet and then carry it home unused. Airlines have never (to
my knowledge) carried such an arbitrary amount of fuel. Worst case, the
plane doesn't have enough fuel to wait for the weather at your
destination to improve and they just take you to another airport.

-Robert