Too Old?

Old September 1st 08, 10:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Lou

Default Too Old?

On Aug 31, 11:39 pm, Stella Starr wrote:
Ramsey wrote:

If you call that an answer, you're a dumb ass.

Boy, you sure contribute a lot to the discussion.
Bet you're proud when people google all your thoughtful contributions.
Why bother?

Well Stella, what do you expect from someone
named after a condom?
Lou
Old September 1st 08, 02:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Zebulon

Ramsey wrote:

If you call that an answer, you're a dumb ass.

Boy, you sure contribute a lot to the discussion.
Bet you're proud when people google all your thoughtful contributions.
Why bother?

Well Stella, what do you expect from someone
named after a condom?
Lou

A Ramsey condom? Yep, you're a dumb ass.

But not to worry, it's not too late.You and Stella can still answer him
directly and fill this thread out to 200 or 300 posts as usual.

Arguing the fine points of yanking the medical of thousands of healthy
pilots, just because of their age, could make a really nice fire that would
undoubtedly burn for days.

So by all means, have at it.

Old September 1st 08, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

It's the marital arts training that keeps me going {;-)

Jim

--
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
without accepting it."

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message

Loved
martial arts training.

--
Dudley Henriques

Old September 1st 08, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Gezellig

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 19:53:20 -0700 (PDT), Ol Shy & Bashful wrote:

On Aug 31, 3:13*pm, Gezellig wrote:
Recently a 72 yo went blind in flight (stroke?) and safely landed in the
drink in FL. Several comments were that age should be considered in
keeping your PPL. I can see this makes sense /but/ it would prolly be
illegal.

Too old? If so, at what age do you place the cutoff?

I'm still flying 70-80 hours a month at 72. I will keep on flying
until I bust a physical. Flying seems to keep me younger than my
contemporaries or is it my 2x week workouts in Aikido (2nd degree
black belt)? Perhaps its my 2 year old son?
Some people age quickly and some don't. I don't.

Best of luck to you, I am mid 50s and would hate to think that there
might be a mandatory retirement for a PPL.

We fly in a hostile GA environment and I can see an airport manager like
the moron at VGT taking any ball he can and attempt to run with it. If
he can claim experimentals unsafe, training unsafe, why not elderly age
unsafe?

The PPL exam is pretty much a joke which doesn't help as a defense.
Old September 1st 08, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Gezellig

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 18:12:33 -0500, Viperdoc wrote:

The physical exam does not verify anything, and is largely a screening tool.
Besides, you don't fly anyway, and it doesn't matter to the rest of us who
do.

MOF I do (if you meant me) and I agree on the medical. Which draws
attention, imo, to a potential issue that could be use to support the
need for a PPL age cutoff.
Old September 1st 08, 06:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_5_]

No, I meant Anthony. He doesn't fly, and by his own admission couldn't pass
a medical or even the PPL test.

Old September 1st 08, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Ben Jeffrey

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
Orval Fairbairn wrote:

I know quite a few pilots flying well into their 70s -- some in
high-performance planes.

Hell Orval, it took that long for some of us to get proficient :-)))

--
Dudley Henriques

I have a friend in our soaring club who flew Corsairs as a USMC pilot in WW2
and still flys regularly in our club - usually the first to launch and the
last to land. To top it off, most of the time he flys his Pitts to the club
from his home field.

Ben Jeffrey

Old September 1st 08, 06:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Orval Fairbairn wrote:

I know quite a few pilots flying well into their 70s -- some in
high-performance planes.

Hell Orval, it took that long for some of us to get proficient :-)))

--
Dudley Henriques

I have a friend in our soaring club who flew Corsairs as a USMC pilot in WW2
and still flys regularly in our club - usually the first to launch and the
last to land. To top it off, most of the time he flys his Pitts to the club
from his home field.

Ben Jeffrey

Some of the "older" pilots are in phenomenally good health. I deal with
a lot of them on a daily basis. They're amazing!

--
Dudley Henriques
Old September 1st 08, 06:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

In rec.aviation.owning Gezellig wrote:
On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 20:25:08 GMT, wrote:

In rec.aviation.piloting Gezellig wrote:
Recently a 72 yo went blind in flight (stroke?) and safely landed in the
drink in FL. Several comments were that age should be considered in
keeping your PPL. I can see this makes sense /but/ it would prolly be
illegal.

Too old? If so, at what age do you place the cutoff?

When you can't pass the medical; that's what it is for.

Everyone's biology is different.

I think just about everyone knows people who are healthy as a horse
and in their late 80's and people who've dropped dead in their 50's.

Jim, the medical isn't much comfort imo. Yes, everyone is different and
the same. We all age..at differing rates, for sure. My concern is that
much like all kinds of Federal legislation that an age is picked which
envelopes those that do need to be out of the air with a majority that
do not.

Then you shall never have any comfort nor a guarantee.

I guy I knew in his mid 40's had recently passed his Army physical fitness
test with good scores, had a recent physical complete with EKG, treadmill,
and the whole 9 yards, and dropped dead while drinking a cup of coffee.

In these litigious days it is highly unlikely there will ever be an
absolute cut off age for flying, driving, or anything else.

About the only reasons one exists for airline pilots is international
treaties and a general lack of interest.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.