Locating device mounting

Old June 23rd 18, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Locating device mounting

Recent descriptions of the Nephi accident are driving me to rethink my decision about location of my Spot in the ship.
I have had it mounted on the canopy frame to try to get the best view of the sky for tracking. It kind of gets in the way a little when on the chute harness.
My assumption has been that in the event of a bad thing happening both the glider and I will be in close proximity.
I got it wrong.
My Spot will go back on the harness.
1- It stays with me.
2- Assuming I'm capable I can orient it and activate emergency even if I have bailed out.
FWIW
UH
Old June 23rd 18, 04:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Godfrey (QT)[_2_]

On Saturday, June 23, 2018 at 11:08:49 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Recent descriptions of the Nephi accident are driving me to rethink my decision about location of my Spot in the ship.
I have had it mounted on the canopy frame to try to get the best view of the sky for tracking. It kind of gets in the way a little when on the chute harness.
My assumption has been that in the event of a bad thing happening both the glider and I will be in close proximity.
I got it wrong.
My Spot will go back on the harness.
1- It stays with me.
2- Assuming I'm capable I can orient it and activate emergency even if I have bailed out.
FWIW
UH

Anything you expect to help folks find you needs to be attached to the front of your chute. Otherwise it is camping gear.

I have my SPOT3 on chest strap (works fine). SMAK PAK Survival Kit on right shoulder caries cellphone, whistle, mirror, strobe and space blanket.
Old June 23rd 18, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

Absolutely. Your spot or inreach should be with you. They both work very well even if they have limited view of the sky.
Same goes to your cell phone (and a spare external battery) should be in your pocket, preferrebly a zipped pocket.

Ramy
Old June 23rd 18, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, June 23, 2018 at 11:49:34 AM UTC-4, John Godfrey (QT) wrote:
[...]

Might consider adding a spare pair of spectacles (as needed) to the SMAK Pak or somewhere secure on your person.
Old June 23rd 18, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Saturday, June 23, 2018 at 8:08:49 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Recent descriptions of the Nephi accident are driving me to rethink my decision about location of my Spot in the ship.
I have had it mounted on the canopy frame to try to get the best view of the sky for tracking. It kind of gets in the way a little when on the chute harness.
My assumption has been that in the event of a bad thing happening both the glider and I will be in close proximity.
I got it wrong.
My Spot will go back on the harness.
1- It stays with me.
2- Assuming I'm capable I can orient it and activate emergency even if I have bailed out.
FWIW
UH

Our local rigger has sewn hard points on a few parachute harnesses for us, and made pouches for the SPOT and InReach. Keeps the tracker in a good place during flight, does not interfere with parachute operation and then usable if you really need it.
Here is an example installed on a 2003 Mini Softie with PD235 square.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8s0nnzvffi...oftie.jpg?dl=0
Jim
Old June 23rd 18, 08:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

My SPOT has been on my chute harness since acquired, although I do wonder about the strength of the built-in velcro strap. My mobile phone went back in my zipped/buttoned pocket this season. I still tuck my wallet away in the cockpit to avoid sitting on it but I'm rethinking that. The suggestion of carrying spare glasses is a good one, as is limited survival equipment: my space blanket, first aid kit, etc., are behind a luggage panel now. There's always more we can do to be safer while still enjoying the freedom to fly the way we like. One problem is that with what I'm carrying now, I'm stuffed into the cockpit already. I wore a hole in the skin inside my right elbow area rubbing against a buckle/strap in a long, tense flight at R2N last week due to pressure on my arm from the pocket on the cockpit sidewall.

Chip Bearden
Old June 23rd 18, 08:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Default Locating device mounting....PLB mounting......

Wish you could edit the thread title.......
I first thought an ELT (where to find the aircraft), but you're talking a PLB. Yes, a PLB should be with the pilot although finding the wreckage may help find the pilot if the PLB is in the aircraft.

Good thoughts.

Many other good posts/thoughts down the thread. Glasses is a good one since most of us need them. Even a cheap set from the local pharmacy is better than really long arms.....

Hope my thread title change aids others in a search.....;-)
Old July 15th 18, 04:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

John Godfrey (QT) wrote on 6/23/2018 8:49 AM:
[...]

You have the parachute to keep you warm and provide some shelter. What is the
purpose of the space blanket?

Old July 15th 18, 01:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Godfrey (QT)[_2_]

On Saturday, July 14, 2018 at 11:11:58 PM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:
[...]

Parachute may get hung up on landing (trees, rocks) and not be useable (see YO pictures). Takes up very little volume.
Old July 15th 18, 02:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Sunday, July 15, 2018 at 8:10:06 AM UTC-4, John Godfrey (QT) wrote:
[...]

Also waterproof (and can be used as a field expedient water container), and glints in sunlight, which is very handy for a SAR crew looking for you.

EE help please - - locating Schottky diode [email protected] Soaring 9 April 29th 13 11:26 PM
PowerFlarm mounting question, and an idea for mounting devices brianDG303[_2_] Soaring 2 October 23rd 11 06:51 PM
Need Help Locating a Camloc Latch. Ebby Home Built 1 October 20th 06 02:36 AM
Need Help Locating Owner Ross Owning 2 April 3rd 06 05:30 PM
locating Jiran Paul Gaines Soaring 0 December 10th 05 12:57 AM