USAF(?) unit patch ID

Old April 14th 04, 12:18 AM
BUFDRVR

I've seen one or two
historical unit patches that had the motto in French
- but these units likely had originated there in WW I.
...NEVER in English.

Even units whose history began in France may display their motto in Latin. The
2nd Bomb Wings origins begin in France, yet both its patches had the motto in
Latin. Morto et Destructo - a very cool yet un-PC Death and Destruction and
Liberatus Defensmus (not sure about spelling there) - Defenders of
Liberty(boring!).

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old April 14th 04, 01:02 PM
BUFDRVR

Hey, it's right up there with 'Defensor Pacis" (defenders of peace) on the
4500
ABW T-39s at Langley AFB in the 1970s.

The first USAF squadron I was in was the 740th Strategic Missile Squadron of
the 91st Strategic Missile Wing. The squadrons motto was "Custodius Pacis"
;custodians of peace, but if you look in the dictionary you'll also note for
custodian the definition most associated with the word; janitor. We used to
call ourselves the peace janitors.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old April 14th 04, 04:12 PM
Ed Rasimus

On 14 Apr 2004 12:02:19 GMT, (BUFDRVR) wrote:

Hey, it's right up there with 'Defensor Pacis" (defenders of peace) on the
4500
ABW T-39s at Langley AFB in the 1970s.

The first USAF squadron I was in was the 740th Strategic Missile Squadron of
the 91st Strategic Missile Wing. The squadrons motto was "Custodius Pacis"
;custodians of peace, but if you look in the dictionary you'll also note for
custodian the definition most associated with the word; janitor. We used to
call ourselves the peace janitors.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"

Don't know that I ever, in 23 years, served in a unit with a foreign
language motto on the patch. Most simply had the unit number or the
MAJCOM name---lemme see:

3526 Pilot Training Sqdn--no motto
Muletrain
Hacker (no mottos on flight patches)
4526 Combat Crew Training Sqdn--no motto
388th TFW (oops---Libertas Vel Mors)
421st TFS---"Ready, Willing, Able"
3526 Pilot Training Squadron--no motto
3525 Student Training Squadron (Academics)--"Who Dat?"
311 Combat Crew Training Squadron--no motto
388th TFW (still in Latin--Libertas Vel Mors)
469th TFS ---"World's Finest"
34th TFS ---no motto
401st TFS --- no motto
613 TFS --- no motto
USAFE -- no motto
479th TTW --- (oops ---Protectores Libertatis)
435 TFTS --- no motto
602 TACW --- no motto

For a wealth of patches take a look at
http://www.usafpatches.com/gallery.shtml

Easy organization by unit size (sqdn, group, wing) and numbers.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
Smithsonian Institution Press
ISBN #1-58834-103-8
Old April 14th 04, 04:43 PM
John Hairell

On 13 Apr 2004 23:18:14 GMT, (BUFDRVR) wrote:

I've seen one or two
historical unit patches that had the motto in French
- but these units likely had originated there in WW I.
...NEVER in English.

Even units whose history began in France may display their motto in Latin. The
2nd Bomb Wings origins begin in France, yet both its patches had the motto in
Latin. Morto et Destructo - a very cool yet un-PC Death and Destruction and
Liberatus Defensmus (not sure about spelling there) - Defenders of
Liberty(boring!).

USAF units that have a provenance running back to the Army Air Corps
or the even earlier Air Service had unit crests and heraldry designed
to Army standards by Army historical authorities (The Army Institute
of Heraldry - TIOH - and predeccessor outfits in the QMC), and those
may have French or Latin mottos, or they may be in another language.
Just because a unit served in France doesn't mean it had to have a
French motto, and vice versa. When the USAF was set up as a separate
service many aviation units took their Army-designed heraldry with
them and some of that has passed down to the present day.

There are Army units that have French mottos that have never had
anything in their histories to do with France, and there are Army
units that served in France that have Latin or English mottos. The
specific language of the motto doesn't neccessarily have anything to
do with a unit's history. The devices/symbology on the heraldic
shield is more telling of a unit's history than the motto.

The USAF until recently has been more tolerant of unauthorized patches
or heraldic devices than the Army. The Army has always had rigid
rules for authorized unit insignia and heraldry, and insignia approval
was centralized. The USAF now has a centralized heraldry office which
is applying more rigid rules for approving insignia.

John Hairell
Old April 14th 04, 05:32 PM
Mary Shafer

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 11:43:50 -0400, John Hairell
wrote:

USAF units that have a provenance running back to the Army Air Corps
or the even earlier Air Service had unit crests and heraldry designed
to Army standards by Army historical authorities (The Army Institute
of Heraldry - TIOH - and predeccessor outfits in the QMC), and those
may have French or Latin mottos, or they may be in another language.

Nothing to do with mottos, but these are the people who designed the
old NASA "meatball" logo, with inputs from the Agency. The "worm"
logo was an expensive design by a fancy company and the Agency
returned to the old logo by popular request about a decade after the
"worm" logo was introduced.

Mary

Old April 14th 04, 07:33 PM
Tex Houston

"Ed Rasimus" wrote in message
[...]

Ed,

Squadron patches seldom contain the foreign language mottos, nor do NAFs or
Commands. Seems to be a wing style but as I told John the other day when he
said he had never seen one without the foreign language quite a few contain
English currently.

Examples of Latin...(except 5th)

!st Fighter Wing
2nd Bomb Wing
3rd Wing
5th Bomb Wing
7th Wing
8th Fighter Wing

Six of the first seven I checked. A fairly complete list can be found at...

http://www.maxwell.af.mil/au/afhra/w...oups_index.php

Regards,

Tex

Old April 14th 04, 10:34 PM
SteveM8597

The 391st TFS of the 475th TFW at Misawa Japan in 1970 had a patch that said
Fortuna Audentes Juvat - Fortune Favors the Bold. The 301st patch was a
trialgular shield and the motto was on a rocker. The wing and squadron was
deactivated and many of the personnel assigned to Kunsan AB Korea first to the
3rd TFW later redesignated 8th TFW when that unit left SEA. We, the 391st,
became the 80th Headhunters. Guys began to tear the old patch off and often
the word Juvat on the rocker would reman attached. It begane first an informal
part of the flight suit and later a formal patch. The suqadron members became
Juvats as they are to this day though I doubt if many know the origination or
even the meaning of the logo.

Old April 15th 04, 01:10 PM
BUFDRVR

Just because a unit served in France doesn't mean it had to have a
French motto, and vice versa.

Yes and no. The 2nd Bomb wing is one of the "original" Army Air Corps flying
wings, its emblem is displayed with 7 (I think its 7 others, maybe 8?) other
"original" Army Air Corps wings on the Air Force corridor in the Pentagon. All
8 "original" units have something on their emblem that ties them to France. The
2nd Bomb wing has two Flor de Leis (spelling...help...) and at least one other
unit has its motto in French.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"

Oil Temperature sending unit Corky Scott Home Built 2 October 19th 04 12:58 AM
bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 05:26 PM
D.C. Air Guard Unit Flies New 737s Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 January 15th 04 12:12 AM
A-4 / A-7 Question Tank Fixer Military Aviation 135 October 25th 03 03:59 AM
Chevy 4.3 L V-6 and Misbehaving Engine Control Unit Bushy Home Built 6 August 18th 03 09:33 AM