happy-box for roll steering?

Old June 17th 05, 05:05 PM
Dave Butler

Default happy-box for roll steering?

In CNX80 User Newsletter number 1 at

http://www.garmin.com/manuals/GNS480...st_Edition.pdf

on page 5, the author refers to "... a 'happy-box' that accepts the roll
steering output commands from the CNX80 and turns them into voltage outputs that
mimic the inputs from the HSI/DG heading bug."

I haven't found any other information about such a device. Anyone?

Thanks.

Dave
Old June 17th 05, 07:26 PM
Jim Burns

S-Tec GPSS box maybe?

Old June 17th 05, 08:31 PM
Mike Rapoport

"Jim Burns" wrote in message
S-Tec GPSS box maybe?

No, he is talking about a box that takes in digital roll steering
information and outputs heading commands to the AP.

Mike
MU-2

Old June 17th 05, 08:34 PM
Dave Butler

Jim Burns wrote:
S-Tec GPSS box maybe?

You mean an S-Tec autopilot? Yes, they accept roll steering commands, but I
didn't give you quite enough context. The article was describing a device that
converts the roll steering commands into analog signals that can be interpreted
by a "legacy" autopilot.

The alleged device provides inputs to your non-gpss autopilot such that the
autopilot sees the same signals as if you were turning the heading bug.

It allows a source of roll-steering commands (like your GPS) to drive an
autopilot that only responds to the course-deviation-indicator and heading bug
kinds of signals.

....or maybe you know about and S-Tec product that does that, in which case
Hooray! and thanks.

Dave
Old June 17th 05, 09:02 PM
Jim Burns

http://www.s-tec.com/newsletters/app...9/fly1099.html

Mentions a HDG/GPSS switch to send GPSS analog signals to the autopilot
rather than the HDG bug signals. Note that this is a 1999 article.

The two most common forms for the steering outputs to the autopilot are an
analog AC signal, or a Digital output in the popular ARINC 429 data bus
format. If the output is analog and can be matched to the heading error
signal, it is often only necessary to intercept the Hdg Bug input to the
autopilot with a switch that allows exchanging HDG with the Steering signal.
The autopilot then flies the Steering Command as it would HDG error.

The more popular steering signal is the 429 format. The navigators that
output the 429 signal are all digital, meaning the data elements are already
available in digital format. In our case, we take the 429 signal and convert
it to the equivalent of a HDG signal. However, we provide it with more turn
rate capability than we do the HDG channel. This is to assure that the
autopilot will be able to maneuver adequately when conducting one of the
standardized GPS approaches that have 90 degree turns from the initial
approach segment to the intermediate segment. This is particularly important
at approach speeds.

For the pilot, life is simple. Select the desired way point on the
navigator, and select GPSS mode on the autopilot or on the HDG/GPSS selector
switch, and watch modern science in action.

http://www.dacint.com/ecd/ecdproducts.htm
A quick google for digital analog output roll steering heading produced this
result, a company that makes converters. And also mentions a switch to feed
GPSS commands into your autopilot instead of HDG commands.

Jim

Old June 17th 05, 09:09 PM
Dave Butler

Jim Burns wrote:
http://www.s-tec.com/newsletters/app...9/fly1099.html

Mentions a HDG/GPSS switch to send GPSS analog signals to the autopilot
rather than the HDG bug signals. Note that this is a 1999 article.
and watch modern science in action.

snip

http://www.dacint.com/ecd/ecdproducts.htm
A quick google for digital analog output roll steering heading produced this
result, a company that makes converters. And also mentions a switch to feed
GPSS commands into your autopilot instead of HDG commands.

Excellent, Jim, that's what I was looking for. Thank you.

Now, does anyone have any experience with any of these boxen? Recommendations?
Reviews?

Thanks,

Dave
Old June 17th 05, 09:18 PM
Jon Carlson

I'm a little unclear if this does the roll steering, but Garmin has a
converter box for various input/output conversions:
http://www.garmin.com/products/gad42/spec.html

-Jon C.

Old June 18th 05, 03:30 AM
Mike Rapoport

The Garmine GAD42 converts the 429 digital roll steering to an analog roll
steering command.

Mike
MU-2

Old June 18th 05, 03:10 PM
Mike Granby

I've got a DAC unit half-installed in my Saratoga. I say
half-installed, because we got all the way through putting the install
kit in, only to find that the approved model list for the STC that
they'd supplied to me was not yet approved. Someone in in sales/support
sent it out with authorithy, and so now I'm waiting for mhy airframe to
be officially on the AML before I can finish the install. Also, it
looks like the DAC unit has some problems with the KLN-94 GPS, as a
result of the King unit's over-damped track outputs. Assuming the AML
is fixed soon, I'm going to try it anyway, as I also have a KLN-90B in
the plane that I can run it from in case the KLN-94's oscillations are
too much. I'll report back...