Usefulness of Oil Analysis

Old August 19th 07, 12:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Carter[_1_]

Default Usefulness of Oil Analysis

From those that use it, I'm interested in the usefulness of starting an
oil analysis program on a big bore Continental that already has 850 SMOH
and 450 STOH on an 1100 TBO. Does it take so long to establish a
baseline and trend that it would be better to wait until OH or can an
individual engine be compared to the class as a whole?

Kindest regards,
James A. (Jim) Carter, ANS #8215
Rogers, Arkansas

Anyone can do the job when things are going right. In this business we
play for keeps.
- Ernest K. Gann

Old August 19th 07, 02:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Oil analysis is a very usefull tool for showing the status of the
inner workings of the motor. Your first sample will give you instant
results if there is something major failing, based on thousands of
other samples of like engines. At about the third sampling of your
perticular engine trends will develop showing the state of your
powerplant. Oil analysis is a inexpensive way to keep you safe, and at
about 15 bucks a shot a great value in aviation. Do it today....

Ben
www.haaspowerair.com

From those that use it, I'm interested in the usefulness of starting an

Old August 19th 07, 11:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dave[_3_]

Jim, I am part of the "Choir" here...

I have 2 large marine engines and one aircraft engine. (all 3 are
$$$$$)

And.....

I depend on them !!!

I have used oil analysis for 25 years,- boat, heavy trucks, and now
on the plane.

Cheap "peace of mind cost".

It WILL turn up some problems in time for a minor fix, before it
becomes a catastrophic failure.

It will take about 3 tests to set a "normal" baseline for your engine
(s). After that, sudden changes are quickly detected.

We tore down an exhaust system last week, confident the antifreeze
leak was not in the block because if it was, the coolant would have
been detected in the oil. (there was none)

It is part of knowing you have taken EVERY reasonable precaution to
insure your safety flying behind that engine.

Dave

From those that use it, I'm interested in the usefulness of starting an

Old August 20th 07, 04:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ross

Jim Carter wrote:
From those that use it, I'm interested in the usefulness of starting an
oil analysis program on a big bore Continental that already has 850 SMOH
and 450 STOH on an 1100 TBO. Does it take so long to establish a
baseline and trend that it would be better to wait until OH or can an
individual engine be compared to the class as a whole?

Kindest regards,
James A. (Jim) Carter, ANS #8215
Rogers, Arkansas

Anyone can do the job when things are going right. In this business we
play for keeps.
- Ernest K. Gann

When I bought my airplane I started an oil analysis program right away.
I had about 400 hours to go to TBO. ( I was going to go longer, but that
is another story). Then I changed engines and continued the program. I
use Metal Check and get the kits right from the factory. They even now
put the results on the web and can show trend analysis. Something I was
doing on Excel originally.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old August 20th 07, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

On Aug 19, 4:33 am, "Jim Carter" wrote:
From those that use it, I'm interested in the usefulness of starting an
oil analysis program on a big bore Continental that already has 850 SMOH
and 450 STOH on an 1100 TBO. Does it take so long to establish a
baseline and trend that it would be better to wait until OH or can an
individual engine be compared to the class as a whole?

If I hadn't been doing an oil analysis I wouldnt have known to look
for a busted up piston pin plug.

-Robert

Old August 21st 07, 02:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Carter[_1_]

Old August 21st 07, 03:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dave[_1_]

Hi Jim!

I use...

Staveley Services

935 Sunshine Road
Kansas City KS 66115-1122

(800) 332-8055

http://www.staveleyfa.com/public/FLhome.asp

....Formally CTC..

I get the "spectrochemical analysis"' done each oil change.

Davce

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 11:12:14 -0700, Jim Stewart
wrote:

Dave wrote:
Jim, I am part of the "Choir" here...

I have 2 large marine engines and one aircraft engine. (all 3 are
$$$$$)

And.....

I depend on them !!!

Who do you use for your aircraft engine?

Old August 21st 07, 05:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ross

Posted At: Monday, August 20, 2007 10:40 AM
Posted To: rec.aviation.owning
Conversation: Usefulness of Oil Analysis

...I

use Metal Check and get the kits right from the factory. They even now
put the results on the web and can show trend analysis. Something I

was

doing on Excel originally.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
KSWI

How about a URL or contact info. www.metalcheck.com apparently isn't the
right place.

Sorry about that. http://www.avlab.com/default.asp

It is from Aviation Labs.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP

Old August 22nd 07, 03:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
me[_1_]

Robert,

For educational purposes could you please describe all of the indications
that helped you pinpoint the problem you found..

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 19, 4:33 am, "Jim Carter" wrote:
From those that use it, I'm interested in the usefulness of starting an
oil analysis program on a big bore Continental that already has 850 SMOH
and 450 STOH on an 1100 TBO. Does it take so long to establish a
baseline and trend that it would be better to wait until OH or can an
individual engine be compared to the class as a whole?

If I hadn't been doing an oil analysis I wouldnt have known to look
for a busted up piston pin plug.

-Robert

Copper in oil analysis ? [email protected] Owning 8 August 22nd 06 12:31 PM
Regarding Analysis Nag Home Built 3 April 21st 06 11:02 PM
Oil Analysis PaulaJay1 Owning 3 March 16th 04 04:25 PM
Oil Analysis PaulaJay1 Owning 11 November 11th 03 01:29 AM