Russian Military Technology

Old January 7th 04, 10:33 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Fred J. McCall" wrote in message
"Keith Willshaw" wrote:

:
:"Fred J. McCall" wrote in message
.. .
: "Keith Willshaw" wrote:
:
: :You are a fool.
: :
: :The Soviet Army included Georgians, Armenians, Ukranians,

ByeloRussians,
: :Uzbeks, Kazajhs etc. etc.
:
: Uh, on this one, you may be, too, Keith. Combat units tended to be
: 90%+ ethnic Russians. The lesser races were relegated to support
: formations.
:
:
:Its certainly the case that SOME nationalities such as the Uzbekhs
:tended to end in pioneer units but thats not universally true
:
:Kristapor Ivanian an Armenian commanded the Red Army artillery
:during the battle for Berlin
:
:One of the two soldiers who raised the flag over the Reichstag was
: Meliton Kantarija, a Georgian
:
:The army photographer who captured the image was Yevgeni Khaldei,
:a Ukranian. In fact around 25% of the red army were Ukranians.
:The Soviets could not afford such niceties during WW2.

Practice during WWII does not reflect more recent practices on the
part of the Red Army prior to the breakup of the Soviet Union.

Maybe not but we were discussing the Red Army in WW2

Keith

Old January 7th 04, 10:37 PM
Krztalizer

Obviously you haven't watched an aircraft fire a cannon into the air at

night.
Basically, it looks like a little chain of pearls and yes its quite visible
from a ways off.

Is that tracer?

Nope - just big blobs of 20mm dancing off into the night. No tracer in the USN
A-7s and F-14s that I have seen shoot at night - the A-7 guy emptied his gun at
the moon in preparation for a night belly landing and we could clearly see each
individual 20mm in the long chain of shots. Quite dramatic, actually.

There's been a lot of argument for a long time about whether tracer
shells are any use in combat for air gunnery: might be useful for
strafing (where are my shots really going?) but for air-to-air the main
use is to alert an enemy.

agree. I know of an Iranian AH-1 pilot who was damn thankful the Iraqis had
tracer - an Mi 24A pulled in behind the un-alerted AH-1 pilot and fired on him
from directly astern. The AH-1 guy saw the tracers passing down the left side
of the cockpit, realized that the Hind would correct his aim so the AH-1 broke
directly _into_ the tracers, knowing that the "corrected" shot would be nailing
him if he stayed in place. End result, two gun kills - a Gazelle and the
aforementioned Hind.

Now, if you're training, TP-T makes sense for several reasons (like,
"see what the dispersion, shot pattern, et cetera really is", and "is my
gun boresighted? Even if it is, how precise is it really?" and so on.

But with live ammunition, tracers just warn the enemy they're under
fi and the number of shots taken to "warn the aircraft" are grossly
exceeded by the number of shots fired to "kill the aircraft". Aircraft
guns don't use dual-feed, so you either load tracer or you don't.

Sorry, Paul, just bein' a putz.

From you I'll grin and bear it, Gordon.

) thanks!

v/r
Gordon
====(A+C====
USN SAR

Donate your memories - write a note on the back and send your old photos to a
reputable museum, don't take them with you when you're gone.

Old January 8th 04, 01:35 AM
tadaa

D'oh! You're right, most Flagons were bright metal. As you say, still
doesn't help much at night. (The Canadians had the right idea - put a
searchlight on their CF-188s that you can shine into the cockpit. Ignore
_that_!)

Finnish airforce F-18's have high-powered sidemounted searchlight

http://www.ilmavoimat.fi/filebank/2144-hn13.jpg

few other pictures of those F-18's

http://www.ilmavoimat.fi/index.php?id=27

Old January 8th 04, 03:20 AM
Andrew Chaplin

TJ wrote:

As to Brun's debris evidence of a 'great air battle"

"1) a fragment of composite material marked on one side BRUNSWICK, NJ UNION
MADE IN USA PVC10-MIL PIPEWRAPI and LR.4 B30 on the other side. The MIL
indicates it is military"

This is basic Home Maintenance / DIY stuff. PIPE WRAP comes in various
thicknesses the "10 MIL" is the thickness of the pipe wrap. 10 MIL
(Millimetres).

Actually, it's based on the SAE system where 1 mil = 1/1000 of an inch
(or it did when I bought 6 mil poly in 1968 for a school project).
Vapour barriers for insulating houses are usually 6 or 8 mil.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old January 8th 04, 03:36 AM

"tadaa" wrote:

D'oh! You're right, most Flagons were bright metal. As you say, still
doesn't help much at night. (The Canadians had the right idea - put a
searchlight on their CF-188s that you can shine into the cockpit. Ignore
_that_!)

Finnish airforce F-18's have high-powered sidemounted searchlight

http://www.ilmavoimat.fi/filebank/2144-hn13.jpg

few other pictures of those F-18's

http://www.ilmavoimat.fi/index.php?id=27

Any idea what the candlepower rating of that light is?
--

-Gord.
Old January 8th 04, 04:54 AM
Krztalizer

Mango, I was wondering why you are in Mexico, proudly proclaiming Russia as the
best spot on earth - why not move there, ya little racist puke?

You sound like a wannabe chilango to me - ashamed of your Mayan roots. Where
are you from anyway, Puebla? The people I know from Mexico would consider you
an absolute embarrassment to their race, so perhaps loving Russia is the best
you can do.

Old January 8th 04, 07:20 AM
Captain!

"Fred J. McCall" wrote in message
"Keith Willshaw" wrote:

:You are a fool.
:
:The Soviet Army included Georgians, Armenians, Ukranians, ByeloRussians,
:Uzbeks, Kazajhs etc. etc.

Uh, on this one, you may be, too, Keith. Combat units tended to be
90%+ ethnic Russians. The lesser races were relegated to support
formations.

oh oh, you better plonk him then goof

Old January 8th 04, 01:10 PM
Fred J. McCall

"Keith Willshaw" wrote:

:"Fred J. McCall" wrote in message
.. .
:
: Practice during WWII does not reflect more recent practices on the
: part of the Red Army prior to the breakup of the Soviet Union.
:
:Maybe not but we were discussing the Red Army in WW2

Ah, but I was not. Verb tense is important! :-)

--
"Rule Number One for Slayers - Don't die."
-- Buffy, the Vampire Slayer
Old January 8th 04, 11:16 PM
Paul J. Adam

In message , Krztalizer
writes
Obviously you haven't watched an aircraft fire a cannon into the air at

night.
Basically, it looks like a little chain of pearls and yes its quite visible
from a ways off.

Is that tracer?

Nope - just big blobs of 20mm dancing off into the night. No tracer in the USN
A-7s and F-14s that I have seen shoot at night - the A-7 guy emptied his gun at
the moon in preparation for a night belly landing and we could clearly see each
individual 20mm in the long chain of shots. Quite dramatic, actually.

Wouldn't have guessed it - thanks for the info. (I was watching a 30mm
trial recently and while I could spot the vortex trail left by the
shells when I knew exactly where and when to look, in daylight the
shells were quite invisible if the tracer didn't function)

--
When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite.
W S Churchill