Posting quality

Old November 16th 09, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stu Fields

Default Posting quality

"Builder" wrote in message
I seldom post or visit this group any more. The group used to be
relevant and helpful to the aviation home builder with professional,
skilled advice and suggestions. But it seems to be degenerating into
spam posts and personal verbal contests, often with show-off,
insulting and foul language.

This unfortunately happens in news groups with no moderators. Freedom
to anarchy.

As a moderator of the Experimental Helo Forum, I have found that a majority
of the non-moderated forums degenerate into just spam and keyboard trolls
and "Brave" warriors. See for example: rec.crafts.metalworking. We have
pledged to keep the trolls and "Brave" keyboard warriors off ours. I too
want a forum that is informative without the name calling and crap that
quickly clogs up some of them. I almost have to hire someone else to run my
killfile.
There are restrictions to the use of our forum that certainly restrict to a
degree a person's freedom to express himself anyway he choses, but that has
been our choice based on our experience. If we lose some folks that don't
like the restriction, well....It might not be such a loss.

Stu Fields Experimental Helo Forum

Old November 22nd 09, 11:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Garry O

"Builder" wrote in message
I seldom post or visit this group any more. The group used to be
relevant and helpful to the aviation home builder with professional,
skilled advice and suggestions. But it seems to be degenerating into
spam posts and personal verbal contests, often with show-off,
insulting and foul language.

This unfortunately happens in news groups with no moderators. Freedom
to anarchy.

A simple set of filters will remove most of the spam and it doesn't take
long to recognise the sh!t fights and just ignore them.
As to Moderation, I see it as freedom to express an opinion without having
worry about upsetting a moderator, moderated groups tend to descend into
censorship and appeasement just as fast as unmoderated groups descend into
anarchy IMHO and in my years on Usenet Moderated groups seem to die a much
faster death on average.

--
Flying RA Aus, because its cheaper and I can do it more often :-)

Old November 22nd 09, 07:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Webb

You either believe in freedom, and remain willing to pay the price, or you
don't.

For me: give me liberty, or give me spam (doesn't seem like such a high
price to pay!)

Old November 22nd 09, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jim Logajan

"Garry O" wrote:
A simple set of filters will remove most of the spam and it doesn't
take long to recognise the sh!t fights and just ignore them.

Reasonable advice. But the following isn't accurate:

As to Moderation, I see it as freedom to express an opinion without
having worry about upsetting a moderator, moderated groups tend to
descend into censorship and appeasement just as fast as unmoderated
groups descend into anarchy IMHO and in my years on Usenet Moderated
groups seem to die a much faster death on average.

If moderation were as bad as you claim, then hardly anyone would have moved
to the various moderated web forums like POA and those run by AOPA, EAA,
etc. So there is no evidence to indicate that moderation per se kills
groups. Indeed rec.aviation.piloting was a victim of total lack of
moderation.
Old November 23rd 09, 01:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Garry O

"Jim Logajan" wrote in message
.. .
"Garry O" wrote:
A simple set of filters will remove most of the spam and it doesn't
take long to recognise the sh!t fights and just ignore them.

Reasonable advice. But the following isn't accurate:

As to Moderation, I see it as freedom to express an opinion without
having worry about upsetting a moderator, moderated groups tend to
descend into censorship and appeasement just as fast as unmoderated
groups descend into anarchy IMHO and in my years on Usenet Moderated
groups seem to die a much faster death on average.

If moderation were as bad as you claim, then hardly anyone would have
moved
to the various moderated web forums like POA and those run by AOPA, EAA,
etc. So there is no evidence to indicate that moderation per se kills
groups. Indeed rec.aviation.piloting was a victim of total lack of
moderation.

A web forum is NOT Usenet now is it :-) (and I am a member of a few such
forums)
and that was where my opinion (and its just an opinion after all) was aimed
because that was where the question was raised.
I still maintain that a moderated Usenet forum is usually set up as a
private kingdom (but I will concede that it is not the case for all
moderated forums) where no views that diverge from those of the moderator/s
ever make it out alive. What you end up with at the end of the day is a
group of people who all think the same way.

--
Flying RA Aus, because its cheaper and I can do it more often :-)

Quality helicopter sim? AirDolphin Simulators 11 September 15th 06 06:04 AM
100LL Quality vlado Piloting 2 August 25th 06 07:23 PM
Manufacturing Quality john smith Piloting 100 August 13th 06 01:22 PM
Manufacturing Quality Jim Carter Piloting 16 August 8th 06 02:15 PM
What makes a quality mic? John T Home Built 11 October 10th 05 01:04 AM