Rumsfeld and flying

Old March 6th 04, 03:54 PM
Ed Rasimus

On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 01:00:38 -0500, "George Z. Bush"
wrote:

"Krztalizer" wrote in message
No kidding? I dont picture Rummy as an ASW type. Must not have liked it if

he
was only on the job for three years. To each his own, I guess.

I think I read somewhere that he was an IP. Maybe the reason he checked out
after so short a period of time was that he felt that he had used up all of his
luck teaching the dummies to fly that bird. Anybody ever think to ask him?

George Z.

You might not have read the full bios. While he spent three years on
active duty, he then spent a full military career continuing to fly in
the Naval Reserves until retiring with the rank of Captain (O-6).

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
Smithsonian Institution Press
ISBN #1-58834-103-8
Old March 6th 04, 04:47 PM
George Z. Bush

wrote:

"Krztalizer" wrote in message
No kidding? I dont picture Rummy as an ASW type. Must not have liked it
if he was only on the job for three years. To each his own, I guess.

I think I read somewhere that he was an IP. Maybe the reason he checked out
after so short a period of time was that he felt that he had used up all of
his luck teaching the dummies to fly that bird. Anybody ever think to ask
him?

George Z.

You might not have read the full bios. While he spent three years on
active duty, he then spent a full military career continuing to fly in
the Naval Reserves until retiring with the rank of Captain (O-6).

Ed Rasimus

I was aware that he had stayed in and retired as an O-6. I guess you didn't
notice that the lump in my cheek was caused by my tongue rather than a case of
the mumps. Maybe I should have included my homemade smiley sign to signify that
I didn't want my comments taken too seriously. (^-^)))

BTW, since you brought it up, don't you ever wonder how he got through the
entire Viet Nam War without any active service during it, considering how much
of a warrior he turned out to be as a civilian? Most of the rest of us who
wanted to do our bit in uniform found ways to make it happen.

George Z.

Old March 6th 04, 04:52 PM
ArtKramr

Subject: Rumsfeld and flying
From: "George Z. Bush" am
Date: 3/6/04 8:47 AM Pacific Standard Time
wrote:

[...]

Yes we did didn't we?

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Old March 6th 04, 05:18 PM
Ed Rasimus

On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 11:47:39 -0500, "George Z. Bush"
wrote:

You might not have read the full bios. While he spent three years on
active duty, he then spent a full military career continuing to fly in
the Naval Reserves until retiring with the rank of Captain (O-6).

Ed Rasimus

I was aware that he had stayed in and retired as an O-6. I guess you didn't
notice that the lump in my cheek was caused by my tongue rather than a case of
the mumps. Maybe I should have included my homemade smiley sign to signify that
I didn't want my comments taken too seriously. (^-^)))

BTW, since you brought it up, don't you ever wonder how he got through the
entire Viet Nam War without any active service during it, considering how much
of a warrior he turned out to be as a civilian? Most of the rest of us who
wanted to do our bit in uniform found ways to make it happen.

Is that your tongue again or do I smell a herring?

If you return to the bios, you'll note that upon graduation from NROTC
(pretty serious commitment and additionally indicative of getting a
college degree without some sort of inheritance or paternal
influence), he fulfilled his active duty commitment in the '50s (after
Korea, before SEA). He could then have drifted out of service upon
completion of ready reserve requirements, but he didn't.

He appears to have moved down a pretty impressive career path before
SEA heated up. The fact that he simultaneously maintained his reserve
qualifications is adequate for me.

But, we can certainly find a lot of SecDefs on both sides of the
political spectrum without ANY spit-shined brogans in their
closet--dare I mention Les Aspin, Robert Strange McNamara, Robert
Cohen, etc?

Old March 6th 04, 06:07 PM
Ed Rasimus

From: Ed Rasimus

If you return to the bios, you'll note that upon graduation from NROTC
(pretty serious commitment and additionally indicative of getting a
college degree without some sort of inheritance or paternal
influence), he fulfilled his active duty commitment in the '50s (after
Korea, before SEA). He could then have drifted out of service upon
completion of ready reserve requirements, but he didn't.

He appears to have moved down a pretty impressive career path before
SEA heated up. The fact that he simultaneously maintained his reserve
qualifications is adequate for me.

Ed Rasimus

WOW ! I'm really impressed. A trained skilled pilot who during a shooting war
got out of all combat commitments. Now that is what I call skill.

Arthur Kramer

Lemme see, Art, aren't you the one who was recently demanding total
obedience to orders. So, we've got this guy who goes through ROTC
(during a shooting war--Korea), then with the war over (not his
fault), he fulfills his active duty commitment, starts his real-world
career and is successful(!) Although he could abandon the military, he
continues to serve his country as a Naval Reserve officer and aviator.
His unit (through no fault of his own) is not called to active duty.
It could be, and he would go, but it isn't. So he serves and he
succeeds.

I don't see any "got out of all combat commitments" going on here. I
know you'd like to find some. Conversely, I might ask how long was
your reserve service after WW II? Didn't you realize there was a need
for your skills? Why weren't you in Korea? How old were you when
Vietnam heated up?--That would be rhetoric and cheap shots, so I won't
descend to them.

You served with honor. So did the SecDef. You had one situation, he
had another. Don't attempt to demean him or others to fit your agenda.
Or, at least if you do, then keep the ROE consistent.

Old March 6th 04, 06:18 PM
ArtKramr

From: Ed Rasimus
Date: 3/6/04 10:07 AM Pacific Standard Time
On 06 Mar 2004 17:37:49 GMT,

From: Ed Rasimus

[...]

Why do you take it that way? I am really impressed. (grin)