Removeable tie down stakes - recommendations

Old July 16th 03, 12:17 AM
Justin Case

I only asked because the number didn't work for me. Well, I didn't
want to wait any longer so I constructed my own patterned after ones I
found on the net. Given the construction time involved, it was not a
money saver. $125.00 isn't a bad price to pay for a nice set of
tiedowns.

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 17:06:09 GMT, "Maule Driver"
wrote:

No, I purposely put up a bad number, Don't know, That's fine with me. Bye.

"Justin Case" wrote in message
.. .
Is that a good phone number? And is there anything on the web about
it? I Ain't paying $12.00 to Belvoir for the article. Thanks

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 23:46:47 GMT, "Maule Driver"
wrote:

Thanks for all the feedback to my 6/20 post where I asked for

recommendations for portable tiedown stakes.

I decided to buy "The Claw" from Hunting Solutions in Pearl

MS.681-932-5832. The set received a good review in the latest issue of
Aviation Consumer. It seemed to address most of the shortcomings of other
systems.

The set is packaged in a nice cloth carrying case. It consists of 3

'claws', 9 stakes, one length of rope and a small claw hammer. I'm
impressed with the well thought out design and the packaging. The weight is
aprox 9lbs according to my bathroom scale. The price was $119 + 10 for UPS
shipping.

I assume it will work as well as the Consumer review and I'm satisfied at

this point. It seems worth the price.

Old July 16th 03, 02:33 AM
Maule Driver

Sorry for the abrupt response.

My fault on the number - the correct one is 601-932-5832.

I did an informal test of the unit. Found that most difficult looking dirt
around the airport and drove one of them in. It was easy to insert though
it took a few minutes. I was impressed by it's apparent holding strength.
I was impressed with the design and the execution. The slightly modified
claw hammer and the carry bag were nice touches. It comes with instructions
that are simple, easy to overlook, but that should be followed.

Funny thing about portable tiedowns - for most pilots it is a less than once
a year requirement. But it only takes one incident to convince one of the
importance. Sometimes it is worse than lost equipment - I had an
acquantance killed by an a/c that flipped on him due to a dust devil.

Regarding Belvoir pubs. Of all their pubs, I've found Aviation Consumer to
be the most easily cost justified. Given the cost of most aviation related
items, making just one correct aviation purchase decision, or avoiding one
incorrect decision, can easily pay for the subscription. The fact that the
entire pub is available online addresses the filing and storage issue.

Old July 16th 03, 05:01 PM
Mike Z.

I just built some close to the EAA plans with a little scrap and the rod and u-bolts from Home Depot for about $20. Plus rope and
the hammer of course.
http://www.vintageaircraft.org/magaz...ft_tiedown.pdf

It helps to have access to a vise and a die set of course.

Mike

Old July 16th 03, 11:24 PM
Ron Natalie

"Maule Driver" wrote in message . com...

Aviation Consumer tests resulted in the Claw failing in one case by pulling
out a large plug of dirt (presumably funnel shaped). When pulled at an
angle, it failed by breaking one of the arms. Failure occurred at 500lbs
(straight up) and 475lbs (at unspecified angle). They stressed that tiedown
strength varies significantly by soil type.

That's not a very good recommendation. 500 lbs is hardly enough.

Old July 17th 03, 02:44 AM
Wayne

We made the EAA ones last year and they worked great but as for total
holding power, the further apart the stakes are, the larger the funnel shape
would be and the heavier right? I think either would be stronger than the
screw type and you could always use longer rods for softer soil. 500 lbs
straight up times three seems like quite a bit of hold down to me. Also I'd
think that if there were a storm so large at an event like Oshkosh, the
planes that weren't tied down at all and the ones that weren't tied well
would be tossed into the ones that stayed put anyway causing plenty of
damage. A friend of mine sold his 172 and where it was after the sale had a
big storm hit. The planes were all tied down to a tensioned cable going
across the apron. The planes all clumped together and flopped over still
connected to the cable. These are temporary tie downs we are talking about.

I'd like to see that test as well. Like a chain only as strong as the
weakest link. If one failed, the other would be sure to follow. Last year I
was on the lake on my boat, tied off to several other boats watching a
floating concert. There were about 20 boats tied side by side, several of
them were little ones, then out on the end was two 30 foot pontoon boats. A
storm came up quickly and twisted that line into a J shape, ropes started
breaking, cleats started flying around like mad. Many boats were damaged and
most of their owners had done nothing wrong except allowing one other boat
to be added to the line. My buddies now know why I carry a knife with me
almost all the time, so I can cut free before I get stuck in the middle of a
mess like that.

Wayne

"Maule Driver" wrote in message
. com...
The 'Claw' and the EAA design are different. They both use 3 stakes per
tiedown. The 'Claw' uses a collapsible tripod claw that lies flat on the
ground with stake holes that guide the stakes inward towards the center.
The EAA design appears to consist of a plate with stake holes that allow

you
to drive the stakes outward.

Notably, the 'Claw' specifies that tiedowns should be placed directly
underneath the tiedown point (which won't work very well on the tail of a
taildragger). The EAA design specifies that the tiedown should be placed

so
that the tiedown rope will apply pressure at an angle.

Aviation Consumer tests resulted in the Claw failing in one case by

pulling
out a large plug of dirt (presumably funnel shaped). When pulled at an
angle, it failed by breaking one of the arms. Failure occurred at 500lbs
(straight up) and 475lbs (at unspecified angle). They stressed that

tiedown
strength varies significantly by soil type.

It would be interesting to compare the 2 systems in identical soils. I
would guess that the claw would be stronger in a straight up pull but have
no opinion on an angle pull.

Hope I never have to care.

Old July 17th 03, 10:00 AM
Thomas Borchert

Ron,

That's not a very good recommendation. 500 lbs is hardly enough.

They specifically said the soil was not very good and the numbers not
comparable to their tests with other systems. However, the spiral type
things are worse in any case, according to AvCon.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 17th 03, 02:45 PM
Maule Driver

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message news:3f15d088$0$24566
Aviation Consumer tests resulted in ...failure occurred at 500lbs
(straight up) and 475lbs (at unspecified angle). They stressed that

tiedown
strength varies significantly by soil type.

That's not a very good recommendation. 500 lbs is hardly enough.

I agree and so did AC. I think they said a tiedown should be worth 1600 or
2600lbs.

The big question is what can we get from the best 'temporary, installable,
removable' tiedowns? And who makes/designs the best?

Fortunately, I suspect that most pilots, most of the time, are not faced
with having to use temporary tiedowns. The big fly-ins being the big
exception.

OTOH, when I used to fly soaring competitions, there was the need to setup
temporary tiedowns at many airport locations for 5 to 10 days at a time. I
managed it by first, NEVER keeping the ship assembled overnight. Obviously
a glider-only option but one that not everyone exercised. The trailers they
were stored in were beautifully engineered and it was possible to roll them
over without damage to the a/c.

I justified the daily assembly work and the risk of mis-assembly by thinking
1) Any damage means losing the comp and 2) weather is not the only risk -
cars driving around darkened airports where 50' wingspan a/c are parked in
non-standard locations are another. How often do cars hit a/c at the big
fly-ins?

Once the glider is 'in the box' (covered trailer), the question then becomes
how to tiedown the trailer. I never did have a very effective tiedown
system and too often the trailer was vulnerable but there were other
options. Leaving it attached to a vehicle is one. Parking it next to a
building and tieing off there was another. Permanent tiedowns were
sometimes available.

Many of us felt pretty secure with the bird in the box. But I always
remember pics from a comp in Chester SC back in the 70s where a mini-tornado
or downburst of sorts tore thru the line. A half dozen glider, in and out
of trailers as I recall, were thrown around thru the woods. The rest of the
line was almost untouched.