Wing cleaner

Old July 8th 03, 11:43 PM
G.R. Patterson III

One's Too Many wrote:

You don't generally leave your airplane soaking in cleaning solution
for extended periods of time.

No, but any cleaning solution will creep into joints and rivet holes. No
matter how carefully you rinse, some will stay there.

George Patterson
The optimist feels that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The
pessimist is afraid that he's correct.
James Branch Cavel
Old July 10th 03, 01:44 AM
John Galban

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message ...
One's Too Many wrote:

You don't generally leave your airplane soaking in cleaning solution
for extended periods of time.

No, but any cleaning solution will creep into joints and rivet holes. No
matter how carefully you rinse, some will stay there.

I don't know if I'd use it on the wing, for the reason stated above,
but I regularly use it to clean off my greasy nosewheel pant and the
fiberglass cowl. Nothing works as good on old oil stains. I just
make sure to thoroughly rinse it off.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old July 10th 03, 02:54 AM
H. Adam Stevens

Military backed off.
Me too.
ELBOW GREASE

m...

Old July 11th 03, 01:37 AM
Clay

One's Too Many wrote:

You don't generally leave your airplane soaking in cleaning solution
for extended periods of time.

No, but any cleaning solution will creep into joints and rivet holes. No
matter how carefully you rinse, some will stay there.

I don't know if I'd use it on the wing, for the reason stated above,
but I regularly use it to clean off my greasy nosewheel pant and the
fiberglass cowl. Nothing works as good on old oil stains. I just
make sure to thoroughly rinse it off.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Try Stoddard Solvent. This is a the stuff that most shops use to wash
down engines. Works very well.
Old July 11th 03, 03:43 PM
Ron Natalie

"Clay" wrote in message m...

Try Stoddard Solvent. This is a the stuff that most shops use to wash
down engines. Works very well.

Also known as Varsol or Texsolve. Any airplane, auto, or print shop has
tons of the stuff. If not, you can find it in small cans at home centers.
Mineral Spirits is a close match as well.

Old July 12th 03, 02:30 AM
Neal

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 10:43:44 -0400, "Ron Natalie"
wrote:

"Clay" wrote in message m...

Try Stoddard Solvent. This is a the stuff that most shops use to wash
down engines. Works very well.

Also known as Varsol or Texsolve. Any airplane, auto, or print shop has
tons of the stuff. If not, you can find it in small cans at home centers.
Mineral Spirits is a close match as well.

I use a low-vapour "naptha" like what you use in a mechanic's
parts-washer. Probably the same kind of stuff you mentioned by brand
name. My bro-in-law bought some generic in bulk for his machine shop
and I scarfed a couple gallons from him. Works great on the belly of
the plane and doesn't irritate your hands like mineral spirits can.
After cleaning the belly off with this stuff, I then go over it with a
spraycan of Lemon Pledge. This solvent does no harm to the paint
either, but then it's pretty much impossible to hurt the paint on my
plane.
Old July 15th 03, 03:26 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Ron Natalie wrote:

Naptha is another common name for mineral spirts. It's pretty close
to stoddard solvent.

Not exactly. Mineral spirits have oil in them that naptha does not have.

Old July 15th 03, 05:03 PM
Jack McAdams

But really rinse well. At my last annual the lineboys were told to
wash my plane prior to returning it to me. They apparently used Varsol
and water to clean it but didn't rinse it afterwards. Left major paint
discoloration and a real mess that would not wash off.

The shop had to have my plane completely detailed (Compound & wax?) to
make it right. They didn't argue about it at all. A later discussion
with the service manager revealed they were very much afraid that they
had permanantly etched the paint and might be going for a paint job.

And there I was designing my new paint scheme! Oh, well..............