Article about John Cochrane

Old December 28th 08, 01:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold[_2_]

Default Article about John Cochrane

http://tinyurl.com/7sux2t
Old December 28th 08, 02:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

On Dec 27, 6:21*pm, Greg Arnold wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/7sux2t

Well, the article isn't *about* BB, but he is front and center in the
article.

I do have to register huge support for his position -- arguing with
the free market is like telling a thermal where its center is. How I
wish I could do that.

~ted/.02NO
Old December 28th 08, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HoUdino

It might be interesting to compare the ideas imbeded in the Black-
Scholes model with our current thermal prediction models. I wonder if
John would comment if there is something worth persuing?

LT
Old December 28th 08, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Dec 27, 6:21*pm, Greg Arnold wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/7sux2t

BB was also interviewed by Lianne Hansen on NPR's Weekend Edition this
morning.
Old December 29th 08, 02:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MickiMinner

John will probably be the first nobel prize winner that I have ever
met. His interviews and articles are interesting and easy to
understand. No wonder he is such a great professor, and you can
really tell that he is used to teaching, when you read his soaring
articles. Way to go, BB !!!

keep soaring with the eagles, instead of pecking around on the ground
with the turkey's.
micki (who hates pork barrel politics)
Old December 29th 08, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Dec 28, 9:40*am, HoUdino wrote:
It might be interesting to compare the ideas imbeded in the Black-
Scholes model with our current thermal prediction models. *I wonder if
John would comment if there is something worth persuing?

LT

Thanks for the plugs guys. We were all disappointed with the Bloomberg
article, but I guess everyone thinks they're a lot clearer and more
eloquent than what the reporter writes.

I haven't found a use for Black-Scholes in glider flying yet, but my
MacCready theory articles are straight translations from the classic
"optimal portfolio" theory. An investor goes through life with
occasional opportunities (thermals) of varying promise (strength) but
a constraint that wealth (altitude) must never be negative. As you can
see, if you just change the letters you've got the same problem.

John
BB
Old December 29th 08, 06:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Dec 28, 9:38*pm, MickiMinner wrote:
John will probably be the first nobel prize winner that I have ever
met.

The odds of a free market economist winning the Nobel prize are about
zero, at least these days. To be in the running, you need to be a
shill for government power, planned economies, Keynesianism and
monetary inflation. Kinda like Paul Krugman, in fact :-|.

-T8
Old December 29th 08, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Dec 29, 10:35*am, wrote:
On Dec 28, 9:38*pm, MickiMinner wrote:

John will probably be the first nobel prize winner that I have ever
met.

The odds of a free market economist winning the Nobel prize are about
zero, at least these days. *To be in the running, you need to be a
shill for government power, planned economies, Keynesianism and
monetary inflation. *Kinda like Paul Krugman, in fact :-|.

-T8

I kinda like Krugman too.

Our own BB (John Cochrane) on NPR DRN Soaring 5 October 3rd 08 09:42 PM
GPS article hiruma222 Piloting 0 August 23rd 07 01:42 AM
GPS article hiruma222 Instrument Flight Rules 0 August 23rd 07 01:42 AM
GPS article hiruma222 Instrument Flight Rules 0 August 23rd 07 01:42 AM
ATTN: John Meyer, others interested in points John made about my photos Just Plane Noise[_2_] Aviation Photos 0 July 29th 07 01:27 AM