Proper Radio Procedures for Off-Airport Operations

Old April 22nd 05, 08:13 AM
Richardfl

Default Proper Radio Procedures for Off-Airport Operations

When performing off airport helicopter operations in controlled
airspace what is the proper radio procedures/calls when taking off
after a few hours on the ground? Should I just call with my position,
stating i am off airport requesting take off clearance?

Thanks

Richard

Old April 22nd 05, 08:35 AM
Peter Duniho

"Richardfl" wrote in message
oups.com...
When performing off airport helicopter operations in controlled
airspace what is the proper radio procedures/calls when taking off
after a few hours on the ground? Should I just call with my position,
stating i am off airport requesting take off clearance?

Define "controlled airspace". You'd have to be pretty close to an airport
to actually be IN controlled airspace (in the US, anything other than Class
G) during takeoff.

If you're in Class D, C, or B (I'm assuming not A), then you need to make
the required radio calls. Just tell the controlling agency who you are,
where you are, and what you want. If you're in Class E, then you're pretty
close to an airport and you probably will want to make some sort of traffic
call on the CTAF.

If you're in Class G, I see no reason to make a radio call. On what
frequency would you transmit? Why would you think anyone was listening? In
other words, no radio required in that situation.

Some other questions:

* What did your rotorcraft instructor tell you when you asked him this
question?

* For those sponsoring you, how large will their logo, name, whatever be
on your clothing? How do they know you're holding up your end of the
bargain?

Pete

Old April 22nd 05, 09:02 AM
H.P.

What class airspace and what segment is above and adjacent to you? How far
are you from the airport pattern? What's your intended altitude? If you're
taking off through the floor of- or within- a Class B, a clearance to enter
is mandatory. Near or within a Class C shelf/cylinder or Class D
cylinder/ifr approach, establish two-way communication with the tower,
advise position, state intentions and ask for traffic advisory. If near or
within a Class E airport, listen for traffic, put your head on a swivel,
call your position and avoid playing bumper cars. This, from a VFR PPL
perspective.

oups.com...

Old April 22nd 05, 01:37 PM
OtisWinslow

If you're actually IN controlled airspace .. as in within a
C, D, or B surface area then I'd talk to the controller there. An example
might be landing at a hospital that's fairly close to a Class C airport. On
the way in I'd give the controller a heads-up as to how long you'll
be on the ground and that you'll call him back at lift off.

If you're not in an area that goes to the ground then I'd call the
appropriate agency upon reaching 700 or 1200 AGL, whatever
applies.

OW
Rotorhead

oups.com...

Old April 22nd 05, 06:37 PM
Richardfl

Pete,

Thanks for your reply, with regards to sponsoring i will be posting
photos during the rest of my training. I think i may have gotten a
studen loan though. I find out this afternon and if so i will only be
about $5000 short. So with a litle skimping and saving i should have
enough. WOO HOO!!!!!! Thank you very much for your interest and your
help!!!!

Richard

Old April 22nd 05, 07:01 PM
Richardfl

WOW.. Thanks for all the instant replys. It is much appreciated. I
haven't asked an instructor yet it was just a curious question that
popped into my head last night. The area i was thinking of is about a
half a mile inside class D airspace.

As a low time PPL its nice to have a place to get those "what if"
questions answered. Thanks a ton!!!!

Richard

Old April 22nd 05, 08:44 PM
Kris Kortokrax

"Richardfl" wrote in message
oups.com...
When performing off airport helicopter operations in controlled
airspace what is the proper radio procedures/calls when taking off
after a few hours on the ground? Should I just call with my position,
stating i am off airport requesting take off clearance?

Thanks

Richard

You won't receive a takeoff clearance. The contoller can only clear you to
takeoff from or land on a movement area on the airport (i.e. runway,
taxiway). From an off airport area, you will get something on the order of
"Landing/Departure will be at your own risk".
I have landed off airport inside Midway's Class C and normally they instruct
the pilot to call them when airborne.

Kris

Old April 22nd 05, 08:57 PM
Steve Foley

There is a Lifeflight helo that is based within Worcester's (ORH) class D.

They receive a 'transition approved' for every operation.

"Kris Kortokrax" wrote in message

oups.com...

Old April 23rd 05, 12:01 AM
Peter Duniho

"Richardfl" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...] Thank you very much for your interest and your help!!!!

Hmmm...if there were any answers to my questions in that post, I didn't see
them.

Old April 23rd 05, 03:26 AM
Morgans

"Kris Kortokrax" wrote

I have landed off airport inside Midway's Class C and normally they

instruct
the pilot to call them when airborne.

Unless you are very close to the tower, you may not be able to raise them
until you are airborne. Repeat calls as you climb, until you get a
response.
--
Jim in NC