IDs Please

Old August 17th 07, 11:10 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Boomerang

Default IDs Please

Hey Bob, sorry about the impression I was correcting you on the P5 last week (I didn't mean it to sound as I was) but you're right on with this one...but do you (or any of the group) remember a civil airliner other than the stratocruiser with 4360s? ..and not the R4Q/C119 or the C74/124 or the Mars - they were all very, very military. Don't think there were any.
Old August 17th 07, 11:18 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bob Moore

Al G wrote

"Bob Moore" wrote
Al G wrote
DC-6, a DC-7 with 3 bladed props. P&W 3350's instead of 4360's

DC-6s were powered by P&W R-2800 Double Wasps. 118' wingspan.
DC-7s were powered by Wright R-3350s. 128' wingspan.

Thanks Bob, I was off by a generation...
It was a DC-6 wasn't it?

Yep! We were still flying them at PanAm when I joined them in 1967.
They were used in a "cost plus $1.00" contract to fly U.S. service
personnel in Vietnam on Rest and Recreation flights.

Bob Moore
ATP B-707 B-727
PanAm (retired)
Old August 17th 07, 11:32 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bob Moore

Boomerang wrote
Hey Bob, sorry about the impression I was correcting you on the P5
last week (I didn't mean it to sound as I was) but you're right on
with this one...but do you (or any of the group) remember a civil
airliner other than the stratocruiser with 4360s? ..and not the
R4Q/C119 or the C74/124 or the Mars - they were all very, very
military. Don't think there were any.

You've confused me with some other "Bob", I never posted about the
P-5, but I think that you're correct about the 4360.

Bob Moore
VP-21 VP-46 PanAm

Old August 18th 07, 04:18 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Tom Inglima

It is a DC-6.

Tom Ingima

"Dingo" wrote in message

....... or perhaps, confirmation.

Apart from C-130s, I rarely see/hear any other 4 prop a/c here in
N.Suffolk
so dashed outside yesterday at the sound of something which obviously
wasn't
a Hercules and saw the attached. It wasn't that close and the photo shows
more than I saw by eye.

First thought it was a DC 7 .... but I haven't seen/heard one of those in
probably 50 years. But even so, and given the state of my memory, DC7s etc
didn't have this sort of engine sound. I can only say that some of our
local
tractors sound sweeter than this kite which I think was an Ilyushin IL 18.

Is I right or is I wrong ? ...... and whilst I'm here can any of you chaps
put an ID on the other a/c here ? Sent to me by a friend who thinks it
might
be Italian. I'm not so sure, but ..........

Many thanks,
~~
Dingo ;-)

Old August 18th 07, 09:55 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dale[_3_]

In article ,
"Al G" wrote:

DC-6, a DC-7 with 3 bladed props. P&W 3350's instead of 4360's

Al G

Not exactly. The -6 has PW 2800s. Many differences between the two
aircraft.
Old August 20th 07, 05:09 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Al G[_1_]

"Bob Moore" wrote in message
46.128...
Al G wrote

"Bob Moore" wrote
Al G wrote
DC-6, a DC-7 with 3 bladed props. P&W 3350's instead of 4360's

DC-6s were powered by P&W R-2800 Double Wasps. 118' wingspan.
DC-7s were powered by Wright R-3350s. 128' wingspan.

Thanks Bob, I was off by a generation...
It was a DC-6 wasn't it?

Yep! We were still flying them at PanAm when I joined them in 1967.
They were used in a "cost plus $1.00" contract to fly U.S. service
personnel in Vietnam on Rest and Recreation flights.

Bob Moore
ATP B-707 B-727
PanAm (retired)

Many years ago, at Medford, Oregon, Butler aviation leased a bunch
of DC6's to the Forest service as Boraid(sp?) Bombers. They did a good job,
and I personally known a guy whose house and property were saved by a very
timely and accurate drop.
After a couple of years, they switched to DC7's. They were having
some kind of problem with the engines, and the temps at Medford. We watched
several departures with 1 feathered, and about 10' high as they crossed the
end. Soon the area off the end of the departure runway was a bright orange,
and stayed that way for months.
I over heard a Pilot saying, "The DC6 is a 4 engine airplane with 3
bladed props. The DC7 is a 3 engine airplane with 4 bladed props"

Al G

Old August 20th 07, 06:24 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
redc1c4

Al G wrote:

"Bob Moore" wrote in message
[...]

"Borate"..... http://www.airtanker.com/history/cahistory.html

redc1c4,
here to help? %-)
--
"Enlisted men are stupid, but extremely cunning and sly, and bear
considerable watching."

Army Officer's Guide
Old August 21st 07, 03:19 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John[_8_]

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 11:07:57 +0100, "Dingo"
wrote:

First thought it was a DC 7 ....

This may have been the bird you saw:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?i...t_id=10 64601

Search on Airliners.net for DC-6, then change the order to: year (most
recent first) and this is on the 3rd page along with a couple of other
shots of this aricraft. Quite a few on subsequent pages - seems to
show up all over the UK.

J. W. Alger
Old August 23rd 07, 10:34 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
JOHN BRAUNGART

The lower picture is that of a Lippisch X-113, flown in around 1970. It's
not a true aircraft, being Wing In Ground Effect (probably got that term
wrong). I first saw this photo in a Popular Science from that time period.

Old August 23rd 07, 11:03 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dingo[_2_]

"JOHN BRAUNGART" wrote in message
The lower picture is that of a Lippisch X-113, flown in around 1970. It's
not a true aircraft, being Wing In Ground Effect (probably got that term
wrong). I first saw this photo in a Popular Science from that time period.

Someone else beat you to the ID, John, but thanks anyway for posting.
~~
Dingo ;-)