Experimental planes at air shows?

Old May 28th 05, 01:35 AM
Eugene Maslov

Default Experimental planes at air shows?

Dear All,
Could you please help me answering the question below?

An idea drills me to build an aerobatic plane with crazy or funny
design, specially dedicated to participation in air shows, festivals,
public celebrations, etc. But, most likely, maximum airworthiness
level that it will get is experimental one, because type certification
is too expensive for a series of one or two. As far as I know, FAA
doesn't allow commercial usage of experimental planes. Does a legal
way exist to earn money with experimental plane flying at public
events? E.g. in USA, Europe, Canada, Brazil, etc...? I cannot find the
straight way in the laws, but actually I see that many military
aerobatic teams, flying planes without FAR certificates, really do
it...

Thank you in advance
Eugene Maslov
http://www.people.nnov.ru/maslov
Old May 28th 05, 03:09 AM
Ron Wanttaja

On 27 May 2005 17:35:12 -0700, (Eugene Maslov) wrote:

Dear All,
Could you please help me answering the question below?

An idea drills me to build an aerobatic plane with crazy or funny
design, specially dedicated to participation in air shows, festivals,
public celebrations, etc. But, most likely, maximum airworthiness
level that it will get is experimental one, because type certification
is too expensive for a series of one or two. As far as I know, FAA
doesn't allow commercial usage of experimental planes. Does a legal
way exist to earn money with experimental plane flying at public
events? E.g. in USA, Europe, Canada, Brazil, etc...? I cannot find the
straight way in the laws, but actually I see that many military
aerobatic teams, flying planes without FAR certificates, really do
it...

I can only speak to the US regulations, Eugene, but:

There are restrictions, but experimental aircraft can be used for some
commercial operations, including air shows. Your plane will have to be
certified in the Experimental/Exhibition category instead of
Experimental/Amateur-Built. Jim Pratt has a copy of the FAA's advisory circular
at:

http://provide.net/~pratt1/ambuilt/8130-27.htm

Experimental/Exhibition is otherwise more restrictive than
Experimental/Amateur-Built, but many airshow planes are licensed in this
category.

Government-operated aircraft, in the US, aren't required to have FAA
certificates. That's why the military teams aren't affected.

Ron Wanttaja

Old May 29th 05, 01:51 PM
Eugene Maslov

Ron Wanttaja wrote in message . ..

http://provide.net/~pratt1/ambuilt/8130-27.htm

Thanks a lot, Ron!

The order states that a moratorium exists on experimental
airworthiness certification of non-U.S. manufactured aircraft for the
experimental purpose of exhibition. Is the moratorium still in force,
requiring manufacturing the plane un the USA?

Eugene
Old May 29th 05, 05:05 PM
Ron Wanttaja

On 29 May 2005 05:51:28 -0700, (Eugene Maslov) wrote:

Ron Wanttaja wrote in message . ..

http://provide.net/~pratt1/ambuilt/8130-27.htm

Thanks a lot, Ron!

The order states that a moratorium exists on experimental
airworthiness certification of non-U.S. manufactured aircraft for the
experimental purpose of exhibition. Is the moratorium still in force,
requiring manufacturing the plane un the USA?

I confess I'm not that knowledgeable on the Experimental/Exhibition, but my
understanding is this moratorium was primarily aimed at the importation of
foreign-built military jets. I looked in the FAA registration database, and
over 400 planes have received Experimental/Exhibition certification since that
Order came out...many of them from foreign manufacturers.

My guess is that you'll have no extraordinary problems, but no one in this
newsgroup has FAA decision authority. Your best bet would be to get in direct
contact with the FAA and lay out what you want to do.

Ron Wanttaja

Old May 31st 05, 05:09 PM
plasticguy

Many gliders are in this category, including my own, and
many licensed in the last few years. The biggest
differences between my Experimental Racing/Exhibition and a
friend's Standard Airworthiness glider is that I can work on
my glider legally, and I can have it inspected annually by
an A&P without IA authority.

T o d d P a t t i s t

Todd.
Do you still need a program letter?