Hurricane relief

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 5th 05, 07:28 AM
cjcampbell

Default Hurricane relief

gregg wrote:
john smith wrote:

While I sympathize and agree with you: seems to be so many people doing
nothing but sitting waiting for Uncle to save them, one buddy of mine did
suggest that maybe that's all we're seeing because that's all the media
outlets are reporting.

Has anyone seen any reporting of some people improvising, adapting,
overcoming?

I haven't. But I bet they are there.

I have seen news reports of it. Several of them, in fact. I never
ceased to be amazed at the ingenuity of some people.

I suppose that some of the scavengers who are out to make a buck by
recycling the garbage will be looked down on by some, but it seems
better to me than just adding to landfills.

Speaking of which, Seattle once was below sea level like New Orleans.
Instead of levees to keep water out, though, early Seattlites just used
boats to navigate streets when the tide was in. After the great Seattle
Fire, though, the rubble and material from some neighboring hills was
used to raise the level of the whole city. I wonder how much of the
rubble from Katrina could be used for that in New Orleans, assuming it
is not all too contaminated to be useful? Biloxi, Slidell, and several
smaller towns have an awful lot of garbage they are going to have to
find a home for.

Hurricane relief Dave Stadt Piloting 94 September 8th 05 07:02 PM
Hurricane relief Gary Drescher Instrument Flight Rules 51 September 8th 05 03:33 AM
Hurricane relief [email protected] Owning 2 September 5th 05 09:14 AM
Hurricane relief [email protected] Piloting 0 September 5th 05 01:02 AM
Hurricane relief Gary Drescher Piloting 0 September 4th 05 02:27 AM