A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

New $500 FAA ADS-B Rebate ... some motorgliders/sustainers qualify



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old October 13th 18, 01:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 333
Default New $500 FAA ADS-B Rebate ... some motorgliders/sustainers qualify

On Saturday, October 13, 2018 at 1:55:52 AM UTC-4, Darryl Ramm wrote:
Yes! But wait... it's even sillier.... it depends. Some Schleicher motorglider engines are listed as "rotary" and some as "reciprocating", depends on what engine manufacturer they are keyed in under, for basically the identical engine. I should have looked more carefully, I had checked "Mid-West" and that returned "reciprocating".

It would have been great if the SSA was looking at this rebate program.

I am going to try to ask folks in the FAA about it.

---

There is interesting stuff in the FAA registration database. Like what is going on he https://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinq...umbertxt=794FM :-0


Darryl

One of these?
https://www.rcplanet.com/rc-vehicles...-kit-gpma0955/
That's a cheap way to log time...
Ads
  #12  
Old October 13th 18, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,443
Default New $500 FAA ADS-B Rebate ... some motorgliders/sustainersqualify

Wait a minute!Â* Is this about age or date of registration?Â* I guess I
have to dig back into the documentation...

My Stemme was /_registered_/ in Mexico in 2004, but not in the US until
March of 2016.Â* Does that mean I'm not eligible for the rebate?

On 10/12/2018 11:16 PM, 2G wrote:
On Friday, October 12, 2018 at 11:07:26 AM UTC-7, Darryl Ramm wrote:
OK well I goofed there. It applies to non-jet and non-electric motorgliders and sustainers.

Sorry did not mean to leave off the electric. Thanks to Dave Nadler for the correction.


Darryl

On Friday, October 12, 2018 at 10:27:09 AM UTC-7, Darryl Ramm wrote:
It's back.... https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipadsb/rebate

Hopefully may be time for some folks doing ADS-B Out installs over this winter break to get a rebate. Only applies to 2020 Complaint installs (so not TABS/SIL=1).

And the rules make clear...

Type Aircraft = ‘Fixed wing single engine’ or ‘Glider’; AND
Type Engine = ‘Reciprocating’ OR ‘4 Cycle’ OR ‘2 Cycle’

So only applies to non-jet sustainers and motorgliders.

I'm mostly curious how many folks are willing to deal with all the extra effort for $500.

It's of course a silly way of doing this, I would have much preferred to see a program that targeted all aircraft including gliders, maybe targeting those based or flown around busy traffic areas.

It also doesn't apply to rotary-powered aircraft like Schleichers. It is easier to say that it DOES apply to piston-powered aircraft, so Solo equipped MGs are covered. Also, the aircraft must have been registered prior to 1/1/16.

Tom


--
Dan, 5J

  #13  
Old October 13th 18, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,443
Default New $500 FAA ADS-B Rebate ... some motorgliders/sustainersqualify

This is what the FAA says HERE
https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipadsb/rebate/:

*Find out if you are eligible for a rebate:*

*Eligible aircraft:*U.S.-registered, fixed-wing, single-engine piston
aircraft first registered before January 1, 2016.


As I said before, my glider was first registered in 2004 in Mexico.
/First Registered/.Â* Is their intention to say that aircraft of that age
or newer should have come from the factory with ADS-B Out installed?Â* If
that's the case, I'm golden and the $500 represents about 25% of the
cost of acquisition of the hardware (nothing for the installation).Â* But
knowing bureaucracies, that's not what they mean at all...

On 10/13/2018 8:33 AM, Dan Marotta wrote:
Wait a minute!Â* Is this about age or date of registration?Â* I guess I
have to dig back into the documentation...

My Stemme was /_registered_/ in Mexico in 2004, but not in the US
until March of 2016.Â* Does that mean I'm not eligible for the rebate?

On 10/12/2018 11:16 PM, 2G wrote:
On Friday, October 12, 2018 at 11:07:26 AM UTC-7, Darryl Ramm wrote:
OK well I goofed there. It applies to non-jet and non-electric motorgliders and sustainers.

Sorry did not mean to leave off the electric. Thanks to Dave Nadler for the correction.


Darryl

On Friday, October 12, 2018 at 10:27:09 AM UTC-7, Darryl Ramm wrote:
It's back....https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipadsb/rebate

Hopefully may be time for some folks doing ADS-B Out installs over this winter break to get a rebate. Only applies to 2020 Complaint installs (so not TABS/SIL=1).

And the rules make clear...

Type Aircraft = ‘Fixed wing single engine’ or ‘Glider’; AND
Type Engine = ‘Reciprocating’ OR ‘4 Cycle’ OR ‘2 Cycle’

So only applies to non-jet sustainers and motorgliders.

I'm mostly curious how many folks are willing to deal with all the extra effort for $500.

It's of course a silly way of doing this, I would have much preferred to see a program that targeted all aircraft including gliders, maybe targeting those based or flown around busy traffic areas.

It also doesn't apply to rotary-powered aircraft like Schleichers. It is easier to say that it DOES apply to piston-powered aircraft, so Solo equipped MGs are covered. Also, the aircraft must have been registered prior to 1/1/16.

Tom


--
Dan, 5J


--
Dan, 5J

  #14  
Old October 13th 18, 10:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,221
Default New $500 FAA ADS-B Rebate ... some motorgliders/sustainers qualify

On Saturday, October 13, 2018 at 5:45:24 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Saturday, October 13, 2018 at 1:55:52 AM UTC-4, Darryl Ramm wrote:
Yes! But wait... it's even sillier.... it depends. Some Schleicher motorglider engines are listed as "rotary" and some as "reciprocating", depends on what engine manufacturer they are keyed in under, for basically the identical engine. I should have looked more carefully, I had checked "Mid-West" and that returned "reciprocating".

It would have been great if the SSA was looking at this rebate program.

I am going to try to ask folks in the FAA about it.

---

There is interesting stuff in the FAA registration database. Like what is going on he https://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinq...umbertxt=794FM :-0


Darryl

One of these?
https://www.rcplanet.com/rc-vehicles...-kit-gpma0955/
That's a cheap way to log time...


That seems like a serious and irresponsible use of the FAA registration system.... the . Eagle 2 is an airplane not a glider :-)

I would love to buy the owner a beer and find out what is going on there.

  #15  
Old October 14th 18, 05:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 333
Default New $500 FAA ADS-B Rebate ... some motorgliders/sustainers qualify

On Saturday, October 13, 2018 at 5:12:16 PM UTC-4, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Saturday, October 13, 2018 at 5:45:24 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Saturday, October 13, 2018 at 1:55:52 AM UTC-4, Darryl Ramm wrote:
Yes! But wait... it's even sillier.... it depends. Some Schleicher motorglider engines are listed as "rotary" and some as "reciprocating", depends on what engine manufacturer they are keyed in under, for basically the identical engine. I should have looked more carefully, I had checked "Mid-West" and that returned "reciprocating".

It would have been great if the SSA was looking at this rebate program.

I am going to try to ask folks in the FAA about it.

---

There is interesting stuff in the FAA registration database. Like what is going on he https://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinq...umbertxt=794FM :-0


Darryl

One of these?
https://www.rcplanet.com/rc-vehicles...-kit-gpma0955/
That's a cheap way to log time...


That seems like a serious and irresponsible use of the FAA registration system.... the . Eagle 2 is an airplane not a glider :-)

I would love to buy the owner a beer and find out what is going on there.


Clever guy, he registered his airplane as a glider so he could fly it without a medical.
  #16  
Old January 10th 19, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 475
Default New $500 FAA ADS-B Rebate ... some motorgliders/sustainers qualify

I am in the process of doing an ADS-b out install on my experimental 27b. So far I have a Trig T22 and a T72 GPS installed and operational. I now have a ground/air pressure switch which I will put in next. Two questions for the list;

1) How do I take advantage of the $500 rebate being offered by the FAA?
2) I have heard of some flight test that needs to be performed to confirm functionality of a SIL=3 install. How do I do that?

Anything else I should know?

Thanks in advance for your help.
  #17  
Old January 10th 19, 03:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,837
Default New $500 FAA ADS-B Rebate ... some motorgliders/sustainers qualify

Pure gliders are not eligible for the rebate
  #18  
Old January 10th 19, 03:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 182
Default New $500 FAA ADS-B Rebate ... some motorgliders/sustainers qualify

On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 8:49:48 PM UTC-6, Tony wrote:
Pure gliders are not eligible for the rebate


Are sustainer equipped experimental aircraft eligible?

Thanks -

Lou
  #19  
Old January 10th 19, 04:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 160
Default New $500 FAA ADS-B Rebate ... some motorgliders/sustainers qualify

On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 8:54:53 PM UTC-6, MNLou wrote:
On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 8:49:48 PM UTC-6, Tony wrote:
Pure gliders are not eligible for the rebate


Are sustainer equipped experimental aircraft eligible?

Thanks -

Lou


Also, I believe the Tn72 is not full 2020 compliant, for that even in an experimental you must use the $1900 Tn70, as far as Trig made products.
I wish this whole topic was simpler, or at least as Simple as I am!!
  #20  
Old January 10th 19, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,443
Default New $500 FAA ADS-B Rebate ... some motorgliders/sustainersqualify

Start he https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipadsb/rebate/

The biggies are that the aircraft must be:Â* U.S.-registered, fixed-wing,
single-engine piston aircraft first registered before January 1, 2016.

My Stemme is Type Certificated but registered in the US in March of
2016.Â* I queried the FAA about that, telling them that it was first
registered in Mexico in 2004.Â* They came back with a legal opinion that
it met the requirements.Â* I was going to install ADS-B anyway for the
increased situational awareness that it gives, but it was nice to get
the rebate.

Starting with the link above, everything you need to know and accomplish
is laid out in step-by-step fashion.Â* This is actually pretty amazing
for a government program!

For my first test flight, I was in mountain wave at 18,000' MSL and in
contact with ABQ Approach Control and flew for about 1.5 hours. During
that time, there was a GPS drop out due to interference testing and,
because of a 0.08% loss of signal, the test failed.

A couple of days later, I did a simple flight with about 0.6 hours in
ADS-B airspace and landed before any GPS testing could get in the way.Â*
We have a lot of that testing going on in my location... Filing a test
report is simply a matter of going to the proper website and filling out
the request form.Â* Be aware that there is a different site to use if
you're requesting a rebate but a link to that site is given when you
reserve your rebate.

Hope that helps.Â* There's nothing that I could see in all of the FAA
stuff that said you needed self launch capability, only that it must be
single-engine piston powered.Â* Too bad if you have a jet sustainer!



On 1/9/2019 8:37 PM, Scott Williams wrote:
On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 8:54:53 PM UTC-6, MNLou wrote:
On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 8:49:48 PM UTC-6, Tony wrote:
Pure gliders are not eligible for the rebate

Are sustainer equipped experimental aircraft eligible?

Thanks -

Lou

Also, I believe the Tn72 is not full 2020 compliant, for that even in an experimental you must use the $1900 Tn70, as far as Trig made products.
I wish this whole topic was simpler, or at least as Simple as I am!!


--
Dan, 5J

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Would it qualify for hazardous duty pay? Byker Aviation Photos 0 September 1st 15 03:42 AM
Sustainers and Self-Launchers- How often and for how long do you runyour motors (after launch)? son_of_flubber Soaring 5 April 21st 14 06:56 PM
FAR 61.58 regarding HpH 304SJ,Jonker JS1-CJT, et al jet sustainers [email protected] Soaring 2 May 23rd 13 04:52 PM
73 old planes that qualify for Light-sport [email protected] Piloting 1 September 14th 10 12:35 AM
Don't Know If It Would Qualify... Jay Beckman Home Built 4 March 30th 04 07:17 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2019 AviationBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.