HOW MANY GLIDER PILOTS DOES IT TAKE TO CHANGE A LIGHT BULB

Old September 21st 05, 10:26 AM
Derrick Steed

FS 110V, 60 Watt Bulb, NDH.

Joe=20

Joe,

We took your advice and procured these lights and fitted them throughout
the club at a nominal effort of five members per light bulb:

CFI to direct operations and advise on technique

Safety officer to point out the hazards and prescribe which techniques
are allowed

Club Secretary to negotiate with light bulb suppliers and get the best
deal

Club Web Marketing guru to document the effort and publish on the club
web site

Tugmaster to perform the essential "tug" of the light bulb to ensure
that it is secure in its fitting

HOWEVER, we have one complaint: Our first attempt to use these bulbs
resulted in blown fuses and the complete destruction of all the light
bulbs and we now find ourselves having to go on a recruiting drive for
female members so that we can fill the requirement for a sixth light
changing team member - a woman to tell all us men what we are doing
wrong.

Yours,

Frustrated, UK.

Old September 21st 05, 11:52 AM
Helen Evans

Troubled by the impending dark
Northern Hemisphere winter nights?

Want to know those nice people in
Scotland, UK, are getting more
performance from the same lightbulbs?

Then see the October-November S&G,
out next week :-)

Helen

Editor, Sailplane & Gliding
www.gliding.co.uk

Old September 21st 05, 11:57 AM
Helen Evans

Troubled by impending dark winter nights
in the Northern Hemisphere?

Want to know how pilots in Scotland
are extracting more performance
from their existing lightbulbs?

Then see the October-November S&G,
published next week

:-)

Helen
Editor, Sailplane & Gliding
www.gliding.co.uk

Old September 21st 05, 12:45 PM
COLIN LAMB

Isn't the perceived light level affected by oxygen deficiency? At some
level of oxygen deficiency, the pilot will think the light bulb is burned
out, when actually it is his loss of oxygen.

Colin

Old September 21st 05, 01:12 PM
Stanford Korwin

At 11:00 21 September 2005, Helen Evans wrote:
Troubled by impending dark winter nights
in the Northern Hemisphere?

Want to know how pilots in Scotland
are extracting more performance
from their existing lightbulbs?

Then see the October-November S&G,
published next week

:-)

Helen
Editor, Sailplane & Gliding
www.gliding.co.uk

They're called candles up there Helen.

Or should it be 'forkandles'.

The noo !

sta13.

Old September 21st 05, 02:15 PM
Ray Lovinggood

Y'all can actually get a glider pilot to change a light
bulb? Consider yourselves fortunate. In our club,
we don't want to do anything but fly. Yea, we can
get a few to tow and a few to instruct, but ask them
to change a light bulb? Not with us. We have to pay
an A&P to do it. Then we raise club dues to cover
the fees to the A&P.

Nope, we don't change no stinkin' light bulbs in our
club. We pay to have it done.

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

Old September 21st 05, 02:39 PM

Andrew you must be really new here ........ you forgot to mention the
'relative merits/demerits of flying a PW5' thread switch

Old September 21st 05, 03:02 PM
309

It should be pointed out that 1-26 lightbulbs, while all quite old, are
still very functional, quite fun and require superior pilot skills to
achive badges with.

Seniors Contest Bob Fidler Soaring 68 March 17th 05 03:50 AM
LS-4 ? What about 1-26 ? Ian Cant Soaring 63 December 1st 04 03:27 PM
Did commercial glider pilots used to give instruction? Mark James Boyd Soaring 7 December 19th 03 07:51 AM