Waxing your trailer(New Thread)

Old March 18th 04, 12:43 PM
Pete Reinhart

Default Waxing your trailer(New Thread)

All,
It's been kinda quiet so that must mean soaring season is on it's threshold
and every one is waiting with bated breath for it to actually start.
While waiting you really must consider if you have done ALL of the
maintenance items you need to attend to, so I propose two questions:
1. Have you waxed your trailer?(this assumes of course that you have already
packed the wheel bearings and balanced the tires).
2. What's the best wax to use? (Weather Block, ETc, Etc,....)
Cheers!
--
Pete Reinhart
Austin, Texas

Old March 18th 04, 07:47 PM
A. Spindelberger

"Pete Reinhart" wrote in message ...
All,
It's been kinda quiet so that must mean soaring season is on it's threshold
and every one is waiting with bated breath for it to actually start.
While waiting you really must consider if you have done ALL of the
maintenance items you need to attend to, so I propose two questions:
1. Have you waxed your trailer?(this assumes of course that you have already
packed the wheel bearings and balanced the tires).
2. What's the best wax to use? (Weather Block, ETc, Etc,....)
Cheers!

Best wax for glassfibre trailers is a good boat (yacht) wax, for
painted metal trailers a liquid car wax. I recommend 1z products,
available at all Cobra dealers.
Please make sure that you work in the shade and not in the sun. The
unpolished wax will react on UV rays,causing yellow or light brown
spots.Use wax only in very thin layers. Put only so much wax on the
trailer that you can easily polish it out in a short time. When the
wax is not very well polished out it will react to light, too.
Heavy dirt has to be removed with an abbrasive polish before waxing.
For both,cleaning and polishing a slow running polish machine, best
with a rubber foam disc is helpful- you can cut the used part of the
foam disc with a metal saw-blade while running easily (works like a
turning machine) . This will give you a new surface of the disc.
Have fun - a glider trailer has a large surface....

AS
Old March 19th 04, 01:14 AM
Marc Arsenault

Hello,

I have just partly finished my Pik 20 trailer(top portion). It is a factory
fiberglass construction. I purchased the glider last year and the trailer,
tough in excellent shape, did have a weathered appearance. Alot of Pik
owners around here have painted their trailer. I opted out of this idea.

I simply used a non silicone based cleaner-de-oxydiser such as Mother Earth
products. After which I applied the same product wax (carnuba wax). The
trailer looks like a million bucks.

A word of advice do not attempt the 30 foot excercise by hand. Physically
speaking, I felt quite degraded next morning! Think electrical buffer. Yes I
was overkeen. Such is life.

Cheers

Marc