Why was the USAF.....................

Old January 9th 04, 10:49 PM
BUFDRVR

You want to reread that first paragraph which reads "The defensive tail
armament was changed. The quartet of 0.50-inch machine
guns carried by earlier versions was replaced by a single General Electric
M61 20-mm six-barreled rotary cannon. "

Ahh, I see. I read it to infer that the replacement was made post production.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old January 9th 04, 10:58 PM
BUFDRVR

Is a tail gun necessary on a B52?

No, at least in my opinion. If you ever get a bandit close enough to your jet
to use a 20mm cannon, many things have gone wrong from the OCA push to the
AWACS coverage.

Has one ever been used as a defensive
measure in recent times?

This is debateable. According to several books and official Air Force history,
yes it was used successfully twice during Linebacker II. According to a few
books, including the latest; "11 Days of Christmas", the two supposed
shootdowns were probably F-4s diving away from BUFF friendly fire. Our own Ed
Rasimus who shared those same skys that December doubts they were real kills as
well.

Also, refresh my memory, it was a B52 that Slim Pickens was dropped from
in the movie ( as per BUFDRVR's signature )??

Sure was....yaaahoooo...

And as more of a side note, was BUFDRVR's H
model built before or after the movie came out?

Before. The movie was made in early 1963 and released over Christmas 1963.
There's a scene in the movie where our hero, Slim Pickins, is reading the
contents of the survival kit and says; "shoot a fella could have a good time in
Vegas with stuff". If you watch closely, the word "Vegas" is dubbed in and Slim
actually says "Dallas". This was changed prior to the movies release due to the
shooting of JFK in Dallas in November '63.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old January 9th 04, 11:00 PM
BUFDRVR

Yes, Slim Pickens was the pilot of a B-52 in "Dr. Strangelove"
(or "How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb"),
I can't tell you off hand what model it was supposed to be.

Its a "Chameleon" BUFF. In one scene its a G, the next an H and the next a
"Tall Tale".

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old January 9th 04, 11:01 PM
BUFDRVR

All I remember is it was a tall tail.

In a few scenes, yes it was, but its a G and H in some as well.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old January 9th 04, 11:02 PM
BUFDRVR

He thought General Ripper...snip

That's General Jack D. Ripper to those of us who love him

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old January 9th 04, 11:13 PM
Mark and Kim Smith

BUFDRVR wrote:

Yes, Slim Pickens was the pilot of a B-52 in "Dr. Strangelove"
(or "How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb"),
I can't tell you off hand what model it was supposed to be.

Its a "Chameleon" BUFF. In one scene its a G, the next an H and the next a
"Tall Tale".

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"

Would that be the "I" model?? Or do we skip the "I" and go to "J" so no
one thinks it's a "T"?? ( Huh? )

Old January 9th 04, 11:24 PM
Mark and Kim Smith

BUFDRVR wrote:

Is a tail gun necessary on a B52?

No, at least in my opinion. If you ever get a bandit close enough to your jet
to use a 20mm cannon, many things have gone wrong from the OCA push to the
AWACS coverage.

That was my thought. It seemed to me in recent times ( Gulf I and II,
Afghanistan ), by the time the B52, B2 and B1 were running multiple
missions, the skies were mostly already ours. Chances of anything small
getting close was minimal.

[...]

See, now I'm going to have to rent that this weekend! Hopefully it can
be found!

Old January 9th 04, 11:33 PM
Glenn Dowdy

"BUFDRVR" wrote in message
Yes, Slim Pickens was the pilot of a B-52 in "Dr. Strangelove"
(or "How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb"),
I can't tell you off hand what model it was supposed to be.

Its a "Chameleon" BUFF. In one scene its a G, the next an H and the next

"Tall Tale".

Sounds like something from Dale Brown.

Glenn D.

Old January 9th 04, 11:59 PM
Chad Irby

In article ,
Mark and Kim Smith wrote:

BUFDRVR wrote:

"Stay on the bomb run boys, I'm gonna get those bomb doors open if
it harelips everyone on Bear Creek"

See, now I'm going to have to rent that this weekend! Hopefully it can
be found!

You could just buy a copy. They're less than $20 on DVD.

cirby at cfl.rr.com

Slam on brakes accordingly.