LS-1F New owner interested in your experiences with the LS-1F

Old December 8th 05, 02:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default LS-1F New owner interested in your experiences with the LS-1F

I am a new owner of an LS-1F and would like to hear from LS-1F pilots.
In particular, I would like to hear from you regarding first flights
and your impressions of the feel of the controls during take-off. My
first take off was pretty normal, the second and third were not handled
as well.

The plane has a tail skid, no wheel. I am applying full forward trim
during takeoff. Once she is flying I allowed her to get high and then
over compensated. During this transistion the controls (pitch) feel
very light and sensitive. Question how do you handle the takeoff.
Trim setting? Thanks
Ken

Old December 8th 05, 05:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi Ken, I have about 150 hours in the LS1-f, and I hope that I can
help. If you are operating from a paved runway, the tailskid can make
a lot of noise on takeoff, but it is normal, and you shouldn't worry
about it. On your first several launches, just let the tail drag, and
worry about roll and directional control. If you try to push forward
on the stick too soon to lift the tail off of the ground, you won't
have any control effectiveness at first, and then suddenly you will be
pitched forward and scraping your nose on the ground! This will
surprise you, and you will likely overcontrol the correction. Again,
just let the tail drag! You will have better control of the glider
with the tail on the ground. When you have complete control over the
glider, and you feel like the glider is ready to fly, gently apply
forward pressure on the stick to raise the tail. To answer your
question, I usually moved the trim lever just a smidge forward of my
landing trim setting. Also: be aware that if you move the stick back
and forth after you have adgusted the trim, you will need to readjust
the trim; the trim will usually move if you move the stick!

I hope you enjoy your LS1-f as much as I enojoyed mine! It is a great
glider!
Chris "CF"

Old December 8th 05, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

charlie foxtrot wrote:
[...]

The trim in my LS-1 was very sloppy because there was no way to
adequately tighten the friction due to the knob hitting the fiberglass.
My solution to that was to take a razor blade and very carefully shape
it and put a notch in it so that I could slide it down in between the
washers and add some more thickness in between the support flanges.
This made it to where I could then tighten up the knob and it would hold
the trim in place. Anyone needing more detailed info can email me offline.
Old December 9th 05, 11:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Ken,

I've been flying the LS1-f way back in Germany on the winch and always
enjoyed it. The one vice it has is the type of airfoil and it's
sensitivity to rain and moisture. When rain shower lines were coming
through the area you'd better get the plane on the ground. Stall speed
seems to go way up and the controls get very mushy. It also sinks
pretty dramatically with a wet wing.
As with all gliders, we would always dry the wings with a chamois or a
towel before putting it back in the air.

Herb

Old December 13th 05, 11:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Chris

I thank you for your review of how you are flying the LS1. A couple of
other questions.

The trim on my ship is similar to what you described. Is this a design
feature or is it a result of wear on the fiber washers? I put a couple
of drops of alcohol on the washers and that allowed me to lock the
trim. It did not last from flight to flight.

What type of tape are you using for the ailerons and elevator? I have
removed the tape, it was restricting aileron movement. I have
purchased similar tape (single sided cloth 2 1/2" wide) but have not
installed it.

Thanks

Ken

Old December 14th 05, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Ken,

I believe that the loose trim lever on the LS1-f is common to all -f's,
but some owners have been luckier than others in fixing it! Assuming
you have your glider certified as "Experimental," feel free to
experiment with different washer designs to try to add friction to the
lever, without locking it completely. Obviously, do not fly the glider
unless you are confident that the trim will be both adjustable and
snug. I would start by making sure that the trim is completely clean
of dirt, then try nylon washers sandwiched between standard washers.

As far as tape is concerned, I used Mylar Gap Seal (but I don't
remember which size, and I sold the glider a year ago). DO NOT FLY
WITHOUT GAP SEALS ON YOUR AILERONS! You will have very limited roll
control during the initial takeoff roll without gap seals! Tim up at
Wings&Wheels has a lot of experience with the LS1-f, and he can set you
up with the best tape.

And finally, always keep a new tailskid in your spare parts supply -
they are getting to be difficult to find! And on your pre-flight, keep
a close eye on the screws that hold the tailskid in place - don't let
the tail skid grind down to the screws, or your will have a very
difficult time removing the skid.

I hope this helps!
Chris "CF"

molding plexiglas websites? [email protected] Owning 44 February 17th 05 09:33 PM
part owner Anti-Death-Spec Piloting 12 January 12th 05 04:15 AM
Which aircraft certification is required for R&D? Netgeek Home Built 5 November 23rd 04 05:59 AM
making the transition from renter to owner part 2 (long) Journeyman Piloting 2 April 15th 04 10:19 PM
making the transition from renter to owner part 1 (long) Journeyman Piloting 0 April 13th 04 02:40 PM