fitting a cruise/climb switch on the stick

Old January 31st 18, 01:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

Default fitting a cruise/climb switch on the stick

Anyone come up with a clever way to add a cruise/climb switch to the stick of an ASW27?

Thanks,

Matt
Old January 31st 18, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, January 30, 2018 at 7:42:12 PM UTC-6, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
Anyone come up with a clever way to add a cruise/climb switch to the stick of an ASW27?

Thanks,

Matt

Matt, nobody I know does manual cruise/climb anymore. Except for the really ancient varios, most today employ an airspeed trigger for going to cruise, set it to 65 knots and forget it.
Old January 31st 18, 02:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On a flapped ship, my personal preference goes to a magnetic switch installed on the flap control rod. On my Arcus, it is made of a mag reed switch and two small magnets.
Then the computer must be setup appropriately (NO vs NC switch, correct remote switch input).
You may always change the setting in the computer, if later you find that automatic based on airspeed is better suited to determined situations

Aldo Cernezzi
Old January 31st 18, 02:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Matt I added a flap switch to my asw27 just last week I put a magnetic proximity switch on the flap control arm. I glued a magnet to the arm and screwed the normally closed switch to the fuselage and ran the wires down the side under the seat pan. seems to work in both flap positions 4 and 5 where all of my thermalling takes place
Old January 31st 18, 03:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

I also have the magnet reed switch on the flap mechanism and it triggers the LXNav device just fine. Wish I had done that in my previous glider.

I had the climb/cruise/ switch and it's too easy to forget to do the switch.

I also fine that the automatic "Circling" detection on most of the flight computers is just too slow for me.

Mike
Old January 31st 18, 03:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, January 30, 2018 at 6:42:12 PM UTC-7, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
Anyone come up with a clever way to add a cruise/climb switch to the stick of an ASW27?

Thanks,

Matt

My Ventus has a flap switch but I don't really like it. I often prefer to have thermal mode on when flying under cloudstreets no matter what speed/flap setting.

I drilled a hole in the stick, then filed it out to the shape of the switch. Then wired the switch and used a black rubbery glue to secure it. I didn't want to use glue that was too permanent in case it needs to be rewired/repaired.

Chris
Old January 31st 18, 03:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

On Tuesday, January 30, 2018 at 5:55:31 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Tuesday, January 30, 2018 at 7:42:12 PM UTC-6, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
Anyone come up with a clever way to add a cruise/climb switch to the stick of an ASW27?

Thanks,

Matt

Matt, nobody I know does manual cruise/climb anymore. Except for the really ancient varios, most today employ an airspeed trigger for going to cruise, set it to 65 knots and forget it.

sometimes I like to "taste" the air when cruising before turning...
Old January 31st 18, 03:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

On Tuesday, January 30, 2018 at 7:07:22 PM UTC-8, SoaringXCellence wrote:
I also have the magnet reed switch on the flap mechanism and it triggers the LXNav device just fine. Wish I had done that in my previous glider.

I had the climb/cruise/ switch and it's too easy to forget to do the switch.

I also fine that the automatic "Circling" detection on most of the flight computers is just too slow for me.

Mike

I agree with the lack of responsiveness of the circling trigger, Mike
Old January 31st 18, 04:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

I had a small switch on the top of the stick on my Ventus b. It became second nature to flip it for cruise and climb. I use the speed setting to switch now in my V2 with the V7. I have mine set at 80 knots for switching modes.
Old January 31st 18, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

On Tuesday, January 30, 2018 at 7:42:29 PM UTC-8, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
On Tuesday, January 30, 2018 at 5:55:31 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Tuesday, January 30, 2018 at 7:42:12 PM UTC-6, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
Anyone come up with a clever way to add a cruise/climb switch to the stick of an ASW27?

Thanks,

Matt

Matt, nobody I know does manual cruise/climb anymore. Except for the really ancient varios, most today employ an airspeed trigger for going to cruise, set it to 65 knots and forget it.

sometimes I like to "taste" the air when cruising before turning...

Matt,

If you have an S80 use the taster function and a momentary button similar to a push to talk switch for Climb/Cruise. Every time you push the button it changes to the other mode.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com