Lightspeed Battery Box Warning

Old July 8th 03, 02:45 AM
Justin Case

Default Lightspeed Battery Box Warning

Lightspeed seems to know everything about all of their problems and
they all seem infrequent. Just too many infrequent problems for me.

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 21:45:22 GMT, Sydney Hoeltzli
wrote:

Just got back from our annual jaunt to NW MA. Might write more
later (have I mentioned recently how much I abhore flying or
driving through the state of Ohio, no offense intended to anyone
living there)

Anyway, landing at a fuel stop on the return trip, husband
said batteries were low in my new Lightspeed 30 3G (pilot
gets to use it). Went in the FBO, lunch, wx, came out to
preflight while husband filed (VFR in 1800 ft ceilings,
wanted me to fly it, such a nice guy). Replaced batteries
in Lightspeed 30 3G.

Went back into FBO to change 3 yr olds wet undies for pullup,
get the glad tidings on who gets to fly in what from DH.
Thanks. I think. What does Louisville Approach have against
small airplanes bopping around in 6 miles vis at 2000 MSL?
You'd think I was scud running or something. Anyway, I
digress.

10 minutes later opened plane to hop in, stench of burning
plastic.

Sniffer traced to 30-3G battery box, which had been left
lying across the yoke.

Batteries were almost too hot to touch. Hot enough to
have melted the plastic of the battery box. Holy S***.

Lightspeed is sending replacement UPS red. But. This is
a known (though infrequent) problem. Caveat Lightspeed
User; don't leave your **** battery box lying on anything
expensive or any plastic part of the plane it would be a
PITA to replace. 'Cuz that puppy was Hot Hot Hot.

Love the Lightspeed comfort; like the Lightspeed NR;
Lightspeed QC needs some d*** ketchup. Maybe they oughtta
try to hire someone away from Dave Clark (alternatively
maybe someone at Dave Clamp ought to hire an ergonomics
guy away from Lightspeed).

Hola!
Sydney

Old July 8th 03, 03:13 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Justin Case wrote:

Lightspeed seems to know everything about all of their problems and
they all seem infrequent. Just too many infrequent problems for me.

I take your point. As a matter of curiousity, would you prefer that to hearing
"Never heard of that problem before." That's what I get out of Maule Air. I
would never accuse them of lying, but I can think it.

George Patterson
The optimist feels that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The
pessimist is afraid that he's correct.
James Branch Cavel
Old July 8th 03, 03:48 AM
EDR

Just got back from our annual jaunt to NW MA. Might write more
later (have I mentioned recently how much I abhore flying or
driving through the state of Ohio, no offense intended to anyone
living there)

Driving I can understand, but flying through and around Ohio is a
wonderful. With the exception of the southeast corner of the state, you
are almost always withing gliding distance of a landing field.
Where's your beef? (Pun intended, Wendy's is based in Columbus OH).
Old July 8th 03, 01:27 PM
Dennis O'Connor

LS owners seem to fall into two groups... Those who have never had any
problem over a number of years of continuous use, and those who seem to
lurch from crises to crises... Strange...

Denny

Old July 8th 03, 02:40 PM
Sydney Hoeltzli

Dennis O'Connor wrote:
LS owners seem to fall into two groups... Those who have never had any
problem over a number of years of continuous use, and those who seem to
lurch from crises to crises... Strange...

Well, I guess I must be the exception which "proves" your rule, since
in general we have been very pleased with our Lightspeeds and while
we have had a previous problem with my 20Ks, I certainly wouldn't
describe it as a 'crisis'. Nor would I personally describe 2 problems
in 5 yrs ownership of 3 different headsets as "lurching from crisis
to crisis".

What seems strange to me is your perception, actually, but that
wouldn't be the first time.

Cheers,
Sydney

Old July 8th 03, 02:51 PM
Sydney Hoeltzli

EDR wrote:
Just got back from our annual jaunt to NW MA. Might write more
later (have I mentioned recently how much I abhore flying or
driving through the state of Ohio, no offense intended to anyone
living there)

Driving I can understand, but flying through and around Ohio is a
wonderful. With the exception of the southeast corner of the state, you
are almost always withing gliding distance of a landing field.
Where's your beef? (Pun intended, Wendy's is based in Columbus OH).

Our beef is that flying through OH in summer no matter what the
forecast is when we take off from MA or NY, we always seem to
wind up with the worst kind of convective activity to dodge
(convective activity with clouds in multiple layers). Ohio
seems to be like a cork in a bottle with Lake Erie to the N
holding the wx in place and the gulf to the s. pumping in
moisture whenever there's a high in the right place (often).
The forecast may be for benign IMC (no tstorms, no ice), one
gets into the clouds and .... uh-oh. Or, the forecast is for
reasonable VFR 2 hrs later .... uh-oh.

Or, as the FSS briefer said to me when I responded to his forecast
with "well, I'm concerned if we do *that* we'll run into *this*,
even though it's not forecast": "you've done this before, haven't
you?" He was also somewhat amused that I responded to his canned
"VFR not recommended" with "well, this isn't good IFR weather"

Ohio is one of the main reasons a stormscope is tops on our want
list.

Florida is the other.

Anyway, as far's I'm concerned Ohio is a giant flight-block lying
between the NE and the midwest. When we visited IAG several times
a year we flew home N of the lake half the time just to stay away.
Yesterday we flew from Ohio to St. Louis via Lexington KY. Gack.

Coshocton, OH is a really nice place, though.

Cheers,
Sydney

Old July 8th 03, 04:04 PM
Jay Honeck

What seems strange to me is your perception, actually, but that
wouldn't be the first time.

I believe Denny is perceiving this:

The only reason many Lightspeed owners have NOT had repeated problems with
broken wires at the plug is because they specifically lay the battery box on
the floor, or tuck it in a side pocket. This removes the weight of the
battery box from the inadequately designed wire and plug assembly, and keeps
the wires from breaking.

NOW it has come to light that laying the battery box on the floor (or
tucking it in a pocket) can result in a conflagration of your aircraft.

This is, indeed, a "crisis" of quality control, in my opinion. And, as I
have repeatedly stated in the past, is truly a shame, as we absolutely,
positively LOVE our Lightspeed headsets.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 8th 03, 04:13 PM
James M. Knox

Sydney Hoeltzli wrote in news:3F0AC7D5.9020908
@swbell.net:

Nor would I personally describe 2 problems
in 5 yrs ownership of 3 different headsets as "lurching from crisis
to crisis".

Sydney,

First off, thanks for the post. I would be interested in knowing what
actually shorted out (sounds like a spring contact or some such, most
likely, in the battery box).

You are right that, compared to having, oh say, a wing spar break, it's
hardly a "crisis." OTOH, I've got two Peltor's and a Dave Clark ANR -
average life 10 years - and never had a problem (other that physically
wearing out the earpads) with any of them. So you can see that, relative
to the "crowd," you are well to one side of the curve.

[Not that we wouldn't expect you to stand out in a crowd regardless. G]

James M. Knox
TriSoft ph 512-385-0316
1109-A Shady Lane fax 512-366-4331
Austin, Tx 78721
Old July 8th 03, 04:33 PM
Sydney Hoeltzli

Jay Honeck wrote:

Actually, Jay, if you reread Denny's post carefully, I don't think
this is what he's seeing or refering to as "some owners lurch from
crisis to crisis" but it's not worth addressing further.

The only reason many Lightspeed owners have NOT had repeated problems with
broken wires at the plug is because they specifically lay the battery box on
the floor, or tuck it in a side pocket. This removes the weight of the
battery box from the inadequately designed wire and plug assembly, and keeps
the wires from breaking.

NOW it has come to light that laying the battery box on the floor (or
tucking it in a pocket) can result in a conflagration of your aircraft.

Actually I think that's overstating the possible outcomes considerably.

What happens is this. The battery box shorts. The batteries get hot.
The battery box gets hot. The battery box begins to melt. The
batteries lose contact w/ the deformed battery box, the short circuit
is broken, and the heating stops.

The worst case is if the battery box happens to get hot enough to
melt low-temperature plastic trim, which can be expensive and costly
to replace.

The fabrics used in the interior of the aircraft had durned well better
withstand a much higher temperature without igniting, or someone
installed the wrong stuff. Likewise, it should not get hot enough to
ignite paper.

I discussed this in detail with the Lightspeed engineer. DH, who has
extensive training in fire hazard prevention, concurs. Of course, there
can always be some combination of factors which lead to a different
result.

So I wouldn't worry that your Lightspeed battery box is likely to
cause conflagration of your aircraft.

However, I would make sure you don't place it somewhere which might
melt and cost you time and $$. For example, we've been securing our
20K and 25XL battery boxes with velcro (sewn to the plane interior,
glued to the battery box). This is gonna stop, because velcro melts
at rather low temperature and melted velcro would trash my interior
panels.

A fabric pocket should actually be a good place, provided the fabric
meets standard aircraft flammability tests.

Cheers,
Sydney

Old July 8th 03, 04:39 PM
Sydney Hoeltzli

James M. Knox wrote:

First off, thanks for the post. I would be interested in knowing what
actually shorted out (sounds like a spring contact or some such, most
likely, in the battery box).

I think that's an excellent educated guess. The point of maximum
deformation was just to the side of a spring contact. There appeared
to be some material covering the bottom of the box which might have
been installed off-center, leaving an area where a short could occur,
but I'm not sure about this.

You are right that, compared to having, oh say, a wing spar break, it's
hardly a "crisis." OTOH, I've got two Peltor's and a Dave Clark ANR -
average life 10 years - and never had a problem (other that physically
wearing out the earpads) with any of them. So you can see that, relative
to the "crowd," you are well to one side of the curve.

Well, Denny was specifically referring to different groups of
*Lightspeed* owners, so I don't think your perception applies to
his post. He posits two different populations of *Lightspeed*
owners, those whose headsets are trouble free and those who "lurch
from crisis to crisis".

However, you get no argument from me: I love my Lightspeeds because they
are comfortable comfortable comfortable whereas after about an hour
I want to throw DC's out the window. But on the "longevity" and
"durability" front, I must admit they do not measure up. Their customer
service and support is *excellent* -- but it has to be. I would much
prefer far less need for said good support.

By the way, after calling Lightspeed Customer service yesterday about
4:30 central time, I had a new headset in hand (!!!!) by 9:30 central
time.

[Not that we wouldn't expect you to stand out in a crowd regardless. G]

Why thank you!

Cheers,
Sydney