IGCDroid

Old May 2nd 18, 05:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default IGCDroid

Trying to figure it out without much success.

Had it turned on and tracking yesterday as I ran errands in my car.
Found several .igc files on my phone but couldn't get anything to
display on the website.ツ* Does the cell phone have to be moving to see
anything on the website?ツ* Can previously recorded igc files be displayed
after the fact?

Oh, and it depleted my phone battery.

I'll turn it on again in a few minutes as I run some more errands,
driving into Albuquerque and then out east to Moriarty.ツ* Maybe someone
will see my car's track.ツ* Look for 5J - Stemme.
--
Dan, 5J
Old May 2nd 18, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

That's pretty low down for a Stemme...

(Alas test logs end up on the web site, visible to the world, and you can't delete them.)

To get the data sent to the web site, meaning Glideport.aero, you need to
* register for an account there
* point the IGCdroid app to your Glideport account
* turn on the app's option (glider icon) to send data to Glideport
* have cellular data signal, at least occasionally
* have the phone's cellular data service turned on
Old May 2nd 18, 10:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

On 05/02/2018 10:11 AM, Dan Marotta wrote:
Trying to figure it out without much success.

Had it turned on and tracking yesterday as I ran errands in my car.
Found several .igc files on my phone but couldn't get anything to
display on the website.ツ* Does the cell phone have to be moving to see
anything on the website?ツ* Can previously recorded igc files be displayed
after the fact?

Oh, and it depleted my phone battery.

I'll turn it on again in a few minutes as I run some more errands,
driving into Albuquerque and then out east to Moriarty.ツ* Maybe someone
will see my car's track.ツ* Look for 5J - Stemme.

Did you have the display turned on while you ran the errands? No need
to, that would deplete your battery.

It's worked great for me, turn it on in the morning, give some rides in
a club ship, and it gives you separate igc files. I email those to
myself and submit to OLC if desired or look at them with a viewer.
Old May 2nd 18, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Actually that was my car. :-[

I had already done all of the things mentioned below, but maybe after
driving around yesterday with my cell phone squawking.ツ* I just looked on
glideport.aero and found my traces and a local friend told me that the
tracks showed up on the SSA Tracker as well.ツ* Ten dollars well spent.

Old May 2nd 18, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Yes I had the display turned on yesterday.ツ* No, I did not have it turned
on today.ツ* Current battery state:ツ* 62%.ツ* That's a little bit lower than
had I not been running IGCDroid, but not much.ツ* I'm happy.

On 5/2/2018 3:36 PM, kinsell wrote:
On 05/02/2018 10:11 AM, Dan Marotta wrote:
Trying to figure it out without much success.

Had it turned on and tracking yesterday as I ran errands in my car.
Found several .igc files on my phone but couldn't get anything to
display on the website.ツ* Does the cell phone have to be moving to see
anything on the website?ツ* Can previously recorded igc files be
displayed after the fact?

Oh, and it depleted my phone battery.

I'll turn it on again in a few minutes as I run some more errands,
driving into Albuquerque and then out east to Moriarty.ツ* Maybe
someone will see my car's track.ツ* Look for 5J - Stemme.

Did you have the display turned on while you ran the errands?ツ* No need
to, that would deplete your battery.

It's worked great for me, turn it on in the morning, give some rides
in a club ship, and it gives you separate igc files.ツ* I email those to

Old May 3rd 18, 03:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

SSA tracker is just a friendly front end for glideport.aero, I generally
prefer using glideport.aero directly.

Old May 3rd 18, 02:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

At 21:57 02 May 2018, Dan Marotta wrote:
Yes I had the display turned on yesterday.ツ* No, I did not have it

turned
on today.ツ* Current battery state:ツ* 62%.ツ* That's a little bit lower than

had I not been running IGCDroid, but not much.ツ* I'm happy.

I use a charger battery on the phone during flight so that the phone
always stays near 100% charged. In the event of an out-landing (or
other emergency), I want a phone that is at 100%. I also carry an
extra charger battery with me in the glider. They are small and
cheap insurance....

RO

Old May 3rd 18, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I have two charger batteries - one in the glider and one in the
airplane.ツ* You never know...

On 5/3/2018 7:25 AM, Michael Opitz wrote:
At 21:57 02 May 2018, Dan Marotta wrote:
Yes I had the display turned on yesterday.テつ* No, I did not have it

turned
on today.テつ* Current battery state:テつ* 62%.テつ* That's a little bit lower than
had I not been running IGCDroid, but not much.テつ* I'm happy.

Old May 3rd 18, 04:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rudolph stutzmann

On Wednesday, May 2, 2018 at 12:11:07 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
Trying to figure it out without much success.

Had it turned on and tracking yesterday as I ran errands in my car.
Found several .igc files on my phone but couldn't get anything to
display on the website.ツ* Does the cell phone have to be moving to see
anything on the website?ツ* Can previously recorded igc files be displayed
after the fact?

Oh, and it depleted my phone battery.

I'll turn it on again in a few minutes as I run some more errands,
driving into Albuquerque and then out east to Moriarty.ツ* Maybe someone
will see my car's track.ツ* Look for 5J - Stemme.
--
Dan, 5J

I've used IGC Droid on my smartphone for the last year or so, like it and it's pretty easy to use. For $20-30, you can find battery charger packs that are usually smaller than the phone itself and store enough power to recharge the phone twice. I also had one that had a solar panel to trickle charge the power pack itself. While running IGC Droid and XCsoar at the same time, I'd still have a fully charged battery on the cell after 5 hours.

Old May 7th 18, 04:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi, Alan here, the author of IGCDroid.

Using IGCDroid in a car can produce odd results because your car doesn't move like a glider. Typically gliders don't stop at traffic lights. Using the "Manual" setting for "Recording start/stop mode" should work better.

Glideport.aero also has its own rules about what is required for a flight. It often rejects the very short flights seen when driving.