KX-170B + KI-214 Will a MX170B operate the G/S

Old September 12th 04, 02:16 PM
Roy Page

Default KX-170B + KI-214 Will a MX170B operate the G/S

I have a 1977 Piper Archer II with a KX-170B. and KI-214 indicator.
I understand that the G/S receiver is built into the KI-214.
If I replace the KX-170B with a Michel MX-170B will the G/S and Localizer
work OK with it ?
As an aside I am a Radio Amateur who has built and operated radio equipment.
However, I am not familiar with the words "Slip Code" & "Channeling Outputs"
I hope someone can give me the understanding of these terms in normal radio
terminology.
I will appreciate all the help I can get on this one.
Thanks
Roy Page
Beloit, OH 44609

Old September 12th 04, 03:49 PM
Al Marzo

The 214 works well with the Michel, it's the setup I'm using. Plug
and play! I too am a ham but don't know of those terms. Maybe the
biggest ham on the group will chime in and give us both an education.

Old September 12th 04, 09:40 PM

On 12-Sep-2004, "Roy Page" wrote:

However, I am not familiar with the words "Slip Code" & "Channeling
Outputs" I hope someone can give me the understanding of these terms in
normal
radio terminology.

In the context of connection between a Nav radio and a GS receiver, these
relate to connections that provide indication of the localizer frequency to
which the Nav radio is tuned, so as to tune the GS receiver to the
corresponding GS frequency.
--
-Elliott Drucker
Old September 12th 04, 09:41 PM
nobody

The KX-170 series of radio has two "channeling" outputs; one for
the external glide slope receiver and the other for an external DME
receiver. Thes are signals that are either grounded, open, or tied
to A+ (supply voltage) via 1K resistor, and are used to indicate the
LOC or VOR frequency the KX-170 nav receiver is tuned to.

DME Channeling outputs are composed of 4 "MHz" signals (M0 - M4),
4 "KHz" signals (K0 - K4), and a 50KHz signal. In the following table,
the - indicated the signal is open, 0 indicates it is connected to the DME
common signal (grounded), and 1 indicates is is driven to +12V via a 1K
resistor:

M0 M1 M2 M3 K0 K1 K2 K3
50KHz
108 - - 0 - .0x 0
0 - - .x0 -
109 - - - 0 .1x 0 0
0 - .x5 0
110 0 - - - .2x 0 0 0
0
111 0 0 - - .3x - 0 0
0
112 0 0 0 - .4x - - 0
0
113 - 0 0 0 .5x 0 - -
0
114 0 - 0 0 .6x -
0 - -
115 - 0 - 0 .7x - -
0 -
116 0 - 0 - .8x - - -
0
117 0 0 - 0 .9x
- - -

GS channeling output are composed of 4 "MHz" signals (GS108 - GS111),
5 "KHz" signals, and a 50KHz signal. In the following table,
the - indicated the signal is open, 0 indicates it is connected to the GS
common signal (grounded), and 1 indicates is is driven to +12V via a 1K
resistor:

GS GS GS GS GS GS GS GS GS
108 109 110 111 0.1 0.3 0.5 0.7 0.9
50KHz
108 0 - - -
..0x - - - - - .x0 -
109 - 0 - - .1x
- - - - .x5 0
110 - - 0 -
..2x - - - - -
111 - - - 0 .3x -
1 - - -
112 - - - -
.4x - - - - -
113 - - - - .5x - -
1 - -
114 - - - -
.6x - - - - -
115 - - - - .7x - - -
1 -
116 - - - -
117 - - - -
.9x - - - - 1

Hope the formatting holds up well enough for you to see the table.

Ronnie Hughes
Austin, TX

ink.net...