IFR along Chicago lakefront

Old June 8th 05, 06:57 PM
paul kgyy

Default IFR along Chicago lakefront

I raised a question about this a while back. V7 runs a little farther
offshore than I'm comfortable with in my single. I recently filed V7
from northern WI south to Gary, IN. When I got to Milwaukee, ATC
started to vector me, steering me much closer to land than the filed
route. I hadn't asked for this either as flight plan remarks or
verbally, but it was appreciated.

Old June 9th 05, 01:01 PM
Brien K. Meehan

The past few times I went that way, Chicago kept me reasonably close to
the shore too. Cool.

Old June 9th 05, 03:05 PM

Brien K. Meehan wrote:
: The past few times I went that way, Chicago kept me reasonably close to
: the shore too. Cool.

I've flown past Chicago a number of times, and the few times I went IFR they
vectored my all the way to Rockford. It was my understanding that it was the way it
was almost always handled for small GA traffic. Did you specifically file the airway
over the lake?

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old June 9th 05, 03:36 PM
paul kgyy

Yes, I did file V7 over the lake.

It might depend on destination. Since Gary is close, they can get me
out of the system quickest by keeping me on the east side. If you were
headed for, say, Cincinnati, it wouldn't surprise me that they sent you
via Rockford. In fact, on a recent flight from Gary to Des Moines,
which is basically straight west, they sent me nearly to Rockford,
which is about 50 miles off course.

Old June 9th 05, 07:14 PM

paul kgyy wrote:
: Yes, I did file V7 over the lake.

: It might depend on destination. Since Gary is close, they can get me
: out of the system quickest by keeping me on the east side. If you were
: headed for, say, Cincinnati, it wouldn't surprise me that they sent you
: via Rockford. In fact, on a recent flight from Gary to Des Moines,
: which is basically straight west, they sent me nearly to Rockford,
: which is about 50 miles off course.

I was headed from Milwaukee to Knox, IN (30 nm S-SE of GYY)... pretty much
direct line lakeshore to Gary. I ended up going via Rockford. Maybe it was because I
couldn't go much higher than 5000' due to icing. What altitude were you flying at?
Up-n-over?

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old June 9th 05, 08:05 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"paul kgyy" wrote in message
oups.com...

I raised a question about this a while back. V7 runs a little farther
offshore than I'm comfortable with in my single. I recently filed V7
from northern WI south to Gary, IN.

Why file a route you're not comfortable with?

When I got to Milwaukee, ATC
started to vector me, steering me much closer to land than the filed
route. I hadn't asked for this either as flight plan remarks or
verbally, but it was appreciated.

The preferential route into Chicago approach airspace from the north is
direct BJB direct OBK direct destination.

Old June 9th 05, 08:07 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

wrote in message

I've flown past Chicago a number of times, and the few times I went IFR
they vectored my all the way to Rockford. It was my understanding that it
was
the way it was almost always handled for small GA traffic. Did you
specifically file
the airway over the lake?

The difference is his destination was within Chicago approach and yours was
not.

Old June 9th 05, 08:10 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"paul kgyy" wrote in message
oups.com...

Yes, I did file V7 over the lake.

It might depend on destination. Since Gary is close, they can get me
out of the system quickest by keeping me on the east side. If you were
headed for, say, Cincinnati, it wouldn't surprise me that they sent you
via Rockford. In fact, on a recent flight from Gary to Des Moines,
which is basically straight west, they sent me nearly to Rockford,
which is about 50 miles off course.

GYY is within Chicago approach airspace, they have to provide service to
you. Chicago approach does not work flights through it's airspace, they are
routed around it.

Old June 9th 05, 08:11 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

wrote in message

I was headed from Milwaukee to Knox, IN (30 nm S-SE of GYY)... pretty
much direct line lakeshore to Gary. I ended up going via Rockford. Maybe
it
was because I couldn't go much higher than 5000' due to icing.

No, it was because you weren't landing in Chicago approach airspace.

Old June 10th 05, 02:33 PM
paul kgyy

Thanks, Steven, I didn't know about the preferred route. I filed V7
"hoping" that I would be able to talk Chicago Approach into vectors
closer inshore. I had flown the airplane almost continually for a week
and felt comfortable with its condition as well.