Public Aerobatics - a Disaster waiting to happen...

Old July 11th 05, 07:51 PM
Neil Gould

Recently, Denny posted:

I have long expressed my opinion that public displays of low level
aerobatics entails risk vastly out of proportion to any benefits,
perceived or real...

What activity that displays unusual proficiency and skill *does* have
benefits beyond the entertainment of the viewer? Why not go troll some
NASCAR group about the lack of benefit of that activity to General
Automobile drivers? Why not harrass those watchng the Tour de France about
the lack of benefit to General Bicyclists?

Somehow, I think you just "don't get it". But, apparently tens of
thousands of others *do* get it, so not to worry.

Neil

Old July 11th 05, 11:38 PM
Kyle Boatright

"pittss1c" wrote in message
On subject: mose general public airshows come to see the Jet powered cars.

Low level acro acts are risky no doubt, but boy the Masters of Disaster
were cool.
The sad thing is that, how many people thought to themselves.... "that is
an accident waiting to happen"?
I had been thinking that about Franklin's acts for years (along with MANY
others)
A show of hands: how many higher altitude, loose formation non-violent
acts do people here like to watch?
I like flying farmer cub acts (though also dangerous) Manfred Radius (he
does low level ribbon cuts too) John Mohr (non-violent, but dangerous none
the less).

Now I think of it, all the acts I like are dangerous.

Sorry
Mike

Believe it or not, I'm very tired of the loud/low/smoky/blaring
music/babbling announcer set of airshow performances. Spare me the
Shockwave or any other flame farting truck. Also, please spare me the pyro
show when the warbirds perform. I've seen all of this stuff a hundred
times. That said, I understand that Joe 6 pack, who's not a pilot and is
only bringing his kids for an afternoon's entertainment IS looking for loud
airplanes, violent acro, and flame farting trucks. I also understand that
all of these acts are very entertaining the first several times you see 'em.
I just happen to be privledged enough to go to SnF and Oshkosh almost every
year, where I see these shows several days in a row and get burned out on
these kinds of performances.

I truly enjoy Manfred Radius and other performers who fly less violent and
more aesthetic (?) routines. I remember a Kitfox routine at Oshkosh 10 or
so years ago that was very nice. Muffled engine, smooth routine, no loud
announcer. Also, at the Tico show a bunch of years ago the weather had kept
most of the show planes from making it on Friday, but someone went up in a
Hawker Fury and did a very long, smooth routine with smoke trails from both
wingtips. With the sleeve valve engine, the performance was relatively
quiet, and the smoke trails formed these beautiful and long lasting vortexes
because the air was very still...

My $0.02 worth (which I really need to be saving for avgas these days...)

KB

Old July 12th 05, 12:37 AM
Brian

It was Jimmy Franklin that did the Kitfox routine at OSH.
I watched him practice it at the kitfox factory and I thought it was
one of the best airshows I had ever seen. Mostly because in a Kitfox he
was never more than a 1/4 mile away from me as opposed the just going
by.

Brian C.

Old July 12th 05, 06:27 AM
malabo

As my friend Pete Anderson put it "everyone wants to see the two-headed
fat lady". Polished, skilled aerobatic routines are dull, safe and
boring - bring on the farting jet truck. I guess the few of us that
post of this NG appreciate a smoothly flown, original engine Chipmunk
without a smoke system doing a full routine low-level without a break
for altitude, or the Granley's glueing two mismatched airplanes like a
Yak--55 and a Yak-18 together. For the rest of the crowd it is World
Wide Wrestling, smoke and flames, make mine double bizarre.

Offhand I can't remember a formation aerobatic team that hasn't had a
fatality, Blue Angels, Frecce Tricolore, French Connection,
Snowbirds... etc. so I'm saddened but not surprised.

I had a look at a couple of home videos from the Canada Post
(newspaper) web site. Looked like Franklin was at the top of a steep
climb wing-over to the left when Younkin pulled up and into him from
his rear blind side. There was lots of smoke around so that may have
been a factor.

My condolences to all....

Old July 12th 05, 04:37 PM
Denny

Interesting bunch of responses, but nothing I have read so far induces
me to change my statement... Reread the first sentence of my original
post...
For those who suggest I am operating from lack of information, I have
been ground crew at internationally sanctioned aerobatic
competitions...

cheers ... denny

Old July 12th 05, 05:29 PM
pittss1c

Brian wrote:
It was Jimmy Franklin that did the Kitfox routine at OSH.
I watched him practice it at the kitfox factory and I thought it was
one of the best airshows I had ever seen. Mostly because in a Kitfox he
was never more than a 1/4 mile away from me as opposed the just going
by.

Brian C.

I was at the performer party immediately afterwards.
Jimmy cracked the windshield durring that performance.
I bet he sold a lot of airplanes that day.

Old July 12th 05, 05:36 PM
Happy Dog

"Denny" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have long expressed my opinion that public displays of low level
aerobatics entails risk vastly out of proportion to any benefits,
perceived or real...

Your opinions are of little interest to the informed world.

Aerobatic displays do not improve public support
for general aviation nor for the preservation of local airports...

Evidence?

Aerobatic displays do not foster a favorable opinion of general
aviation among the lawmakers of this country - who are exquisitely
sensitive to the mood of the public...

Evidence?

And the carnage albeit
infrequent, only reinforces the perception among the insurance
companies that any form of aviation is an underwriting loss just
looking for a place to happen...

Evidence?

moo

Old July 12th 05, 05:48 PM
Newps

Dudley Henriques wrote:

"Denny" wrote in message
oups.com...

Interesting bunch of responses, but nothing I have read so far induces
me to change my statement... Reread the first sentence of my original
post...
For those who suggest I am operating from lack of information, I have
been ground crew at internationally sanctioned aerobatic
competitions...

cheers ... denny

WOW!!!

Aerobatics performers are like bull riders. A goddamned stupid thing to
do, serves no useful purpose and you deserve what you get.
Old July 12th 05, 06:17 PM
Dudley Henriques

"Newps" wrote in message

Dudley Henriques wrote: