BAF LOC 23

Old October 12th 04, 04:17 PM
G Farris

In article ,
says...

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 16:27:23 +0000 (UTC),
(G
Farris) wrote:

It may not be a charting error, but a discrepancy, duly noted by the mention

:

"VGSI and descent gradient not coincident".

See the TERPS manual :

http://av-info.faa.gov/terps/Policies1/TIL99014att.PDF

In reviewing the ILS-23 approach plate, I did not see the above
phrase. Where is it located?

You are correct - That condition only applies to the non-precision approach,
and as such does not answer the basic question.

As the step-down fix would appear to be based on the controlling obstacle of
923', within the primary protected area, (corresponds pretty much to ROC
rounded up to nearest 20') one would expect to see the non DME MDA published
as 1160 as well.

Could it be because the military guys used TACAN approaches? This could
explain why the DME fixes are referenced to the vortac, as pointed out
earlier. Just a guess.

G Faris

Thanks.

Old October 12th 04, 05:03 PM
zatatime

Thanks.

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 06:06:25 -0700, wrote:

Visual Glide Slope Indicator; generic term for PAPIs and VASIs. It's in
the AIM.

Old October 12th 04, 05:05 PM
zatatime

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 15:35:03 GMT, (Paul
Tomblin) wrote:

So hopefully either
John will post the answer here, or I'll get CC'ed on the response so that
I can post it here.

That'd be great! I've spent a couple hours trying to figure this one
out, and still don't know how to gt down to 900 feet.

Thanks John, and everyone else who's answered my questions.

Old October 12th 04, 09:55 PM

Tomblin) wrote:

So hopefully either
John will post the answer here, or I'll get CC'ed on the response so that
I can post it here.

That'd be great! I've spent a couple hours trying to figure this one
out, and still don't know how to gt down to 900 feet.

You can spend a year trying to figure it out, and will still not have an
answer. ;-)