Mounting "portable" avionics

Old July 31st 06, 12:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.products
Andrew Gideon

Default Mounting "portable" avionics

Our club aircraft have GNS-430s and Strikefinders, but I'm looking at
adding some additional capacity. Long term, I suspect that ADS-B plus an
MFD is going to be the way to go. But ADS-B coverage is a little light
right now, so I'm reluctant to have members spending money today for such
limited capability. Yet I'm also reluctant to spend lots of money on
something to be replaced in the not too distant future.

One solution is to go with some portable device for WX etc. This has
additional advantages, like backup power and the like. And even though
we've standby vacuums, I'm also attracted to portables with some sort of
solid state AI backup.

The VistaNav and Cheetah 190 are high on my list.

But I'd like to have some type of "semi-permanent" mounting solution. It
should make the device tough to remove (although not impossible) and
should not be too annoying to the pilot not using the gear. I'm
especially interested in this to simplify the usual "wiring mess" which
portables with multiple add-ons impose.

What's possible?

Obviously, cost is a factor. So something that doesn't require a 337,
multiple inspections, a five-foot stack of paperwork, etc. would be
preferable.

Suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks...

Andrew
http://flyingclub.org/

Old July 31st 06, 02:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.products
Bob Noel

In article ,
Andrew Gideon wrote:

But I'd like to have some type of "semi-permanent" mounting solution. It
should make the device tough to remove (although not impossible) and
should not be too annoying to the pilot not using the gear. I'm
especially interested in this to simplify the usual "wiring mess" which
portables with multiple add-ons impose.

What's possible?

would ram-mounts be useful for you?

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old July 31st 06, 06:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.products
J. Severyn[_1_]

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message
news

[...]

Panel Dock for several portable GPS/WX devices might work. I've seen these
mounted in homebuilts and they help reduce the "wire tangle", but your "high
on my list" avionics are not on the airgizmo list.

http://www.airgizmos.com/index.asp

John Severyn
@KLVK

Old August 1st 06, 08:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.products
Andrew Gideon

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 21:45:27 -0400, Bob Noel wrote:

would ram-mounts be useful for you?

I don't know; I'm not familiar with this. But it lead me to:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/av/mounts.html

which looks like it has some promise.

This, for example:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...ssnarailmt.php

looks "attractive". I've long wanted a cup holder, for example laugh!

It doesn't seem like it solves any wiring problems, though. Am I missing
something?

And can these be installed by anyone? Is it a 337 sort of thing (I'm
thinking of problems with Cessna seat rails in the past)?

Thanks...

Andrew

Old August 2nd 06, 03:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.products
Newps

Andrew Gideon wrote:
On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 21:45:27 -0400, Bob Noel wrote:

would ram-mounts be useful for you?

I don't know; I'm not familiar with this. But it lead me to:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/av/mounts.html

which looks like it has some promise.

This, for example:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...ssnarailmt.php

looks "attractive". I've long wanted a cup holder, for example laugh!

It doesn't seem like it solves any wiring problems, though. Am I missing
something?

And can these be installed by anyone? Is it a 337 sort of thing (I'm
thinking of problems with Cessna seat rails in the past)?

They are not installed. They are portable.
Old August 3rd 06, 05:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.products
Mike Noel

I don't think this discussion was about panel mounting portable avionics,
but I thought I would share what 'Dave' the avionics guy at our airport told
me. I want to remove my old clunker ADF from the copilot side and install
an airgizmo mount with the 15 degree angle adapter. He thinks since the
hole will already be there from removing the ADF, the only paperwork
necessary is updating the maintenance logs and the weight-and-balance
information.

Hope he's right.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

http://photoshow.comcast.net/mikenoel

Old August 3rd 06, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.products
Newps

There are several articles lately about installing the Air Gizmos mount.
Mike Busch has been one of the most vocal. According to him and
others this mount is the very definition of a minor alteration.

Old August 7th 06, 09:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.products
Andrew Gideon

On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 08:56:12 -0600, Newps wrote:

There are several articles lately about installing the Air Gizmos mount.
Mike Busch has been one of the most vocal. According to him and
others this mount is the very definition of a minor alteration.

Yet:

http://www.airgizmos.com/faq.asp

includes:

Q: Can the Panel Dock be installed in a certified aircraft?
A: The Panel Dock can be installed in a certified aircraft, but you will
need an FAA field approval.

Why would the manufacturer provide misinformation that raises the cost of
its product?

Where have these articles appeared? I'd like very much to read them.

Thanks...

Andrew

Old August 7th 06, 10:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.products
darthpup

Semi permanent may violate the FAR's. If you change the weight and
balance and have an accident with a "semi permanent" piece of equipment
you could have a legal problem.
Be careful what you attach to the aircraft. This is a good question
actually.

Old August 8th 06, 12:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.products
Ron Natalie

darthpup wrote:
Semi permanent may violate the FAR's. If you change the weight and
balance and have an accident with a "semi permanent" piece of equipment
you could have a legal problem.
Be careful what you attach to the aircraft. This is a good question
actually.

Changing the weight and balance is NOT a major modification UNLESS you
increase the gross weight or envelope. Increasing the empty weight
doesn't count.