IVAN--Pensacola NMNA survived (unconfirmed report)

Old September 19th 04, 09:41 PM
Andrew C. Toppan

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 11:47:01 -0500, BuZzY
wrote:

I imagine the airstrip there, and indeed in any Navy base, is built to
some incredibly strong specifications--maybe deeper substrate, etc.--the
geology of Pensacola may be a little challenging when planning such a

I wouldn't expect the airstrip itself to be damaged at all, but I
would not be at all surprised if it was completely obstructed by
debris. And all the other things you need to make a working airfield
- radar, lights, communications, crash trucks, service vehicles,
electric power, running water....are quite subject to damage by such a
hurricane.

--
Andrew Toppan --- --- "I speak only for myself"
"Haze Gray & Underway" - Naval History, DANFS, World Navies Today,

Old September 19th 04, 10:12 PM
old hoodoo

Some bad news. I looked at pics of the outside display aircraft and
they appear to most probably were just have been tied down. There was an
old hurricane trick that used to be used for smaller operational
aircraft to be tied down by putting the aircraft on its belly with gear
up and then tying it down. However, with these artifacts, it would not
have been possible. Tying down aircraft for a hurricane is not
recommended but it is all they could have done, although if the aircraft
had been mounted on concrete pads and then the wheels raised off the
ground on metal supports they would have been much better protected.
Although the musuem was first class inside it left something to be
desired outside apparently...and considering this is a hurricane prone
area, perhaps it should have been considered.
Here in Victoria we had an F-101 that when we got it, we prepared pads
and metal supports to secure it and get the tires off the ground. Not a
particularly difficult or expensive task.

Al

Thomas A. Hoffer wrote:
I copied this article segment from a local Pensacola newspaper. Looks the
exhibits suffered no damage with minor damage to the building itself. While
it mentions some damage to static aircraft displays outside, it sounds like
nothing was totally destroyed. I'm curious if the "significant" damage to
some planes is fixable.

" The National Museum of Naval Aviation was almost unscathed by the storm.
Nichols said there were a few leaks in the roof, but the exhibits inside
were unharmed.

Some of the historic aircraft parked on the tarmac behind the museum were
damaged, however. The canopy of an A-6 was sheared off. A couple of wings
lay on the pavement and some planes, evidently blown off their moorings, had
collided with other aircraft, causing significant damage."

Old September 19th 04, 11:19 PM
Andrew C. Toppan

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 16:12:17 -0500, old hoodoo
wrote:

Some bad news. I looked at pics of the outside display aircraft and
they appear to most probably were just have been tied down.

They appear to were just have been tied down?

Huh?

Random verbs?

Old September 19th 04, 11:23 PM
John A. Weeks III

In article , old hoodoo
wrote:

Here in Victoria we had an F-101 that when we got it, we prepared pads
and metal supports to secure it and get the tires off the ground. Not a
particularly difficult or expensive task.

Victoria where? And where in that Victoria is it located?

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com
Old September 20th 04, 02:36 AM
lat7575

old hoodoo wrote:

Being a relatively new building, and I think built with private funds
to the newer building codes, the National Museum of Naval Aviation has
initially been reported to have weathered the storm intact which is what
was expected (with crossed fingers I presume) from such a structure.

Only a one liner, included in an article re the blue angels.

"Storm damage forces Navy’s Blue Angels to skip Oceana show

By JACK DORSEY, The Virginian-Pilot
© September 18, 2004

.....The Naval Aviation Museum, where the Navy houses its most valuable
aviation artifacts, held up, officials said...."

So, apparently that magnificent collection was spared, and the decision
to build a museum there was not an "historical disaster" as they may
have built it right. Its my understanding that the museum itself is
privately owned and funded, although it works in close association with
the Navy.

Still would like some confirmation though.

AL

Check out alt.binaries.pictures.aviation for some
"official" USN photos of NAS Pensacola damage. No
pics or info on the museum, which posters there
are also quite concerned about.

--
Lynn in StLou
REMOVETHIS anti-spam measure to reply
Old September 20th 04, 03:19 AM
Andrew C. Toppan

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 01:36:39 GMT, lat7575
wrote:

Check out alt.binaries.pictures.aviation for some
"official" USN photos of NAS Pensacola damage. No

It's even easier to get them on the web:
http://www.news.navy.mil/view_galler...category_id=39

Old September 20th 04, 10:34 AM
Cub Driver

so would I, was planning on stopping there in bout a 10 days or so on the way
home with a DC-3.

If you are able to make the visit, a pirep would be great appreciated!

Later: I see by the Aero-News Propwash that a C-47 at the museum lost
a wing in the blow (or possibly to a falling tree). So perhaps you
ought to keep that DC-3 safe from temptation on the part of the
curators!

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
Expedition sailboat charters www.expeditionsail.com
Old September 20th 04, 10:38 AM
Cub Driver

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 12:25:42 -0400, Andrew C. Toppan
wrote:

On the other hand, CNN today showed video of the President leaving an
aircraft (apparently a VC-20) and said he had landed at NAS Pensacola.

The field is open for emergencies. A visit from the president would
certainly qualify.

I was capering about on Saturday: I had reserved the Cub for Sunday
afternoon, then came the TFRs on the president's visit to ME and NH,
then came the hurricane damage and an urgent need for the president to
inspect the damage (it's an ill wind that blows nobody good) and the
Cub could fly again! But on Sunday afternoon the wind here was gusting
25 knots, so I didn't get to fly after all. (Now Bush is back in NH
today! Ah well. There is no rest for the wear in the swing states.)

Old September 20th 04, 10:44 AM
Cub Driver

Some bad news. I looked at pics of the outside display aircraft and
they appear to most probably were just have been tied down.

They appear to were just have been tied down?

Try "They appear to have merely been tied down"--that is, no heroic
measures such as being mounted on plyons. The poster could have been
tired, or he could have been educated in an American public school in
the past thirty years.

(Actually, I seem to recall a Hornet? or two being pylon-mounted in a
near-vertical climb at the museum.)

As it does for Al (Old Hoodoo), this news breaks my heart, because
after six years the Finnish Brewster Buffalo safely arrived at
Pensacola barely four weeks ago. I hope it survived the blow and the
rain all right, and I hope that the damage to the museum won't delay
my chances of viewing the airplane into a seventh year!

Old September 20th 04, 01:59 PM
nafod40

old hoodoo wrote:
Some bad news. I looked at pics of the outside display aircraft and
they appear to most probably were just have been tied down. There was an
old hurricane trick that used to be used for smaller operational
aircraft to be tied down by putting the aircraft on its belly with gear
up and then tying it down.

Hindsight is 20-20, but I wonder it it wouldn't help to attach stuff to
the wings to make them non-aerodynamic for a strong storm? A series of
strips that would cause them to stall.