IMC and Cloud encounters - Videos

Old January 3rd 11, 02:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default IMC and Cloud encounters - Videos

I have uploaded a series of videos that some may be interested in
viewing of my cloud and IMC encounters

Cloud and IMC encounters - 2005 - Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29Ok0126pfw

My encounters with clouds in 2005 Eight minute video includes a VOR
approach down to minimums, ILS approach with ceilings down to 700 and
various en route views on the second half of the video. Text overlays
for time in year..

Note, some segments have been seen in my other videos, but these are
the raw unedited videos.

Cloud and IMC encounters 2006 - Video

2006 was a busy year flying IFR but not many videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfFToFnLI_c

Due to the lengths of the trips (MD, OH, SC KY) I took mostly
pictures. This 2 3/4 minute video includes enroute shots of a short XC
trip to Cleveland MS and segment to the NE practice area of KMBO

Ok, this is actually a touch harder then I expected, not for the
technical part, but figuring out what makes the cut!

My segments are longer, including the time it takes to dip into the
cloud to breaking out below. So that no one video is ridiculously
long, I broke this out into four parts.

I want the emphasis on the beauty of being on top level and below
clouds as well as the patience it takes to work in IMC. Hopefully what
I am doing thus far conveys this especially with the magic of breaking
out on top bottom or even out of a cloud..

Part one 5 3/4 minute encompasses January through July.

Cloud and IMC encounters 2007 Part 1 of 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTKs7gYn-_M

Practice area work, initial approaches, local IFR departure and
enroute videos.

Part two 8 minute video encompasses July through September 2007

Cloud and IMC encounters 2007 Part 2 of 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmPSBMb6xNM

Video includes practice area work, IFR trip to Baltimore and Ohio

Part three encompassing September and October.

Cloud and IMC encounters 2007 Part 3 of 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnzquQfD75s

Six minute video includes practice area work, IFR approaches and
enroute view on an angel flight.

Part four encompasses October through December.

Cloud and IMC encounters 2007 Part 4 of 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqQ57tK2nWA

Five minute video includes practice area work, enroute view from Baton
Rogue, departure from KMBO into IMC and two approaches.

Seems that 2008 was a turning point where I lowered my minimums big
time and had my head in a cloud for a lot of hours. Had lots of videos
where I went down to 400 AGL at both KJAN and KHKS but once you seen
one video inside a cloud, they all look the same! I made 23 different
flights throughout the year of which 6 of them, it was raining inside
the clouds, water climbing up the windscreen. And 15 of those videos,
I never topped out. Soooo, the below are the highlights of 2008.

Cloud and IMC encounters 2008 Part 1 of 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrRIKg7mW18

7 1/2 minute video encompassing May only. Video includes ILS into
KHKS, ILS into KJAN 600 foot ceilings (25 seconds edited from breaking
out to middle marker) and ILS into HKS 700 foot ceilings of which 40
seconds edited from breaking out to middle marker

Cloud and IMC encounters 2008 Part 2 of 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86zQGtvZCu8

6 3/4 minute video encompassing June through August Video includes ILS
into Greenville MS, GPS approach into Oxford MS, departing Oxford and
exiting Tropical Storm Faye's outer rainband. http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N194
.... /KUOX/KMBO

Cloud and IMC encounters 2008 Part 3 of 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev3c33_JmBI

7 3/4 minute video encompassing September through November 2008 Video
includes enroute portion from Bessemer AL to Madison MS through
cumulus clouds and the canyons of the cumulus field, Departure from
KMBO into IMC and ILS into KHKS with 400 foot ceilings

Cloud and IMC encounters 2008 Part 4 of 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMBWGh7nn2s

9 1/2 minute video encompassing November only. IFR flight at sunrise
above a cloud deck and the return IFR flight into a sunset. Not sure
what was up with the stall horn during this video. My usual climb-out
is 90 knots.

Cloud and IMC encounters 2009 Part 1 of 6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDY-DTwp_Vc

8 1/2 minute video encompassing January 2009 through March 2009 Video
includes KMBO NE practice area work (displays benefits of block
altitude), IFR trip to Tupelo MS ending in a GPS approach

Cloud and IMC encounters 2009 Part 2 of 6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksBFz85XQ_A

9 minute video encompassing March through April 2009. Video includes
ILS into HKS, KMBO practice area work, IFR trip to McComb MS ending in
an ILS approach and return back to KMBO

Cloud and IMC encounters 2009 Part 3 of 6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH39qOc7AMc

9 minute video encompassing April through May 2009 Video includes IFR
trip from MS to OH ending with a visual approach, KMBO NE practice
area on different days, ILS into HKS,

Cloud and IMC encounters 2009 Part 4 of 6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6t4uR6W544

9 minute video encompassing June through September 2009 Video includes
KMBO NE practice area, IFR trip from KBTR to KMBO, ILS into KHKS,
Departure into 200 foot ceilings out of KMBO and ILS into KJAN with
300 foot ceilings,

Cloud and IMC encounters 2009 Part 5 of 6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RftWSKhmd-0

9 3/4 minute video encompassing September through December 2009 Video
includes VOR Alpha approach at minimum into KMBO, ILS into KJAN,

Cloud and IMC encounters 2009 Part 6 of 6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTw777LE3_Q

6 1/2 minute video ecompassing December 2009. Video includes IFR trip
from KMBO to KEKY Bessemer AL ending in an ILS approach into KEKY.

Cloud and IMC encounters 2010 Part 1 of 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCtDEnB8Swk

7 minute video encompassing January Every instrument pilot should try
to get the opportunity to experience what's in this video as I think
the video really convey the fun I had in the KMBO NE practice area. I
chased my glory, flew slalom courses and grazed the tops of the broken
cloud deck.

Cloud and IMC encounters 2010 Part 2 of 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpB7MwTu_vQ

IFR trip to Bessemer AL and return. 12 minute video encompassing
March. Yet another video every instrument pilot should experience as
this was a flight through both stratiform and cumulus clouds. Just
because you see it on You Tube doesn't make it safe! Please note
flying is front and center and the camera is always (and has been)
secondary in my flying. IMC is not forgiving for any lapse of
attention so PLEASE keep this in mind if you try in flight videoing
yourself (better to leave it to the passenger if there is any doubt of
safety).

Cloud and IMC encounters 2010 Part 3 of 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz_QEplSsbs

3 minute video of random holds in the KMBO NE practice area during the
month of March. Probably the easiest video I have compiled to date.
The entire 1 1/2 flight was IMC expect for a few minutes where I
briefly topped out (in this video). Video includes take off and
landing at KMBO in VMC conditions.

Cloud and IMC encounters 2010 Part 4 of 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecbaILFEyCk

7 minute video encompassing April. Video includes multiple ILS
approaches into KJAN.

CLoud and IMC encounters 2010 Part 5 of 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7oH9p_V8_s

4 1/2 minute video encompassing April. Final flight with N1943. ILS
approach into KHKS, Nice way to end an era of airplane ownership.