XCSoar or LK8000?

Old December 28th 11, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default XCSoar or LK8000?

I've had a couple of flights using XCSoar on a Mio but the season
essentially over and I don't have much of an opinion yet. I've since
upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy Player running Android and connected via
Bluetooth to the CAI-302 and have spent quite a few hours playing with the
SIM mode and planning for my first 1,000K attempt next summer. I'm quite
impressed with how XCSoar works!

Now I'm looking at LK8000 and like the look of the displays so I think I'll
download, install, and play with it just to see how it works.

Has anyone here used both? What are your opinions? Who knows - I may try
running both simultaneously and comparing the results.

The runway at Moriarty, NM has been plowed but the taxiways are still choked
with snow and ice... Three more months...

Old December 28th 11, 05:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Hmmmmmmmmm... Further research indicates there's currently no Android
version of LK8000...

I guess I'll have a look on the laptop and see if I think it's worth
downloading if it's ever ready for Android.

Old December 28th 11, 08:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian[_2_]

On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 10:44:09 -0700, "Dan Marotta"
wrote:
Has anyone here used both? What are your opinions? Who knows - I

may try

The most significant difference between these two is not their
interfaces or feature list. It is the philosophy of their respective
developers. XCsoar developers encourage teamwork and input from all
interested parties. LK8000 is developed mainly by one individual who
does not encourage cooperative development to the extent that the
rights of the (XCsoar) developers who's code was used in the original
version of LK8000 were infringed for a period.

In the long run, with cooperative development XCsoar will achieve
more than LK8000 and many equivalent commercial products.

Perhaps that is why Xcsoar already runs on Android devices like this
Dell Streak which has the best sunlight readable screen on any
consumer grade PDA and supports ioio hardware which allows Androids
to interface with serial ports on gliding loggers etc and can
simultaneously read NMEA data from Flarm and a gliding computer.

Ie Flarm radar and real time wind data on a screen you can read with
your sunglasses on - available right now!

Ian
Old December 29th 11, 01:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

Ian,

Currently I'm running LK8000 on a iPAQ hx 4700. I have it configured to
bring the NMEA data from my GPS on device 1 using the iPAQ's serial port.
Device 2 is configured for the iPAQ's Bluetooth port. I have connected a
K-6 BT Bluetooth interface to my Borgelt B-50. This configuration works
great. When I finally receive my PowerFLARM it will replace the GPS as
Device 1. I have no reason to believe that this will not work.

For those who fly contests, the tasking section of XCSoar is definitely
superior to the current version of LK8000. However, for guys like me who
primarily fly cross country, the touch interface and the expanded ability to
customize LK8000 to meet personal need places it in first place. I
especially like screens 2.1 thru 2.4 which provide data relating to all
alternates, not just the ones visible on the screen.

I find the maps on both XCSoar and LK8000 adequate. For me, the difference
in the quality of a map isn't a deal breaker.

The fact that both programs are free allows me to monitor the progress of
LK8000 on my PDA and XCSoar on my Android based phone. If I find new
versions of XCSoar a better fit, I'll switch back to it.

Thank you for tolerating my rambling.

Wayne
http://www.soaridaho.com/

Old December 29th 11, 02:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike[_37_]

On Dec 28, 10:44*am, "Dan Marotta" wrote:
I've had a couple of flights using XCSoar on a Mio but the season
essentially over and I don't have much of an opinion yet. *I've since
upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy Player running Android and connected via
Bluetooth to the CAI-302 and have spent quite a few hours playing with the
SIM mode and planning for my first 1,000K attempt next summer. *I'm quite
impressed with how XCSoar works!

Now I'm looking at LK8000 and like the look of the displays so I think I'll
download, install, and play with it just to see how it works.

Has anyone here used both? *What are your opinions? *Who knows - I may try
running both simultaneously and comparing the results.

The runway at Moriarty, NM has been plowed but the taxiways are still choked
with snow and ice... *Three more months...

Not sure one is better than the other, but...

I have used both for cross country soaring and currently use XCSoar.
The main reason at this point is "Android".
The modern Android devices are very stable, have faster processors
and the screens are better in direct sunlight.

I have used LK8000 with both the MIO stand alone and a 4700 series
IPAQ via blue tooth to a Nano, and it works well on both, but I think
XCSoar used with a Streak 5 or 7 is superior.

Both programs are as good or better than anything you can buy.

Mike

Old December 29th 11, 10:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Salmon[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

Just like the previous thread, this is very much a matter of personal
taste. I go back with XCSoar to when it was first brought out by a group
in the UK, then a bit later by the Australian headed group. I changed to
LK8000 when it came out, because it was designed for the better visible car
navigators.
I keep up with XCSoar developments, but so far have seen nothing to make me
consider changing back, I much prefer the interface, and range of features
in LK8000.
Whilst it is fair to say that LK8000 was initially developed by one man,
who had been a developer with XCSoar, this did result in very rapid
development, the best committee being that consisting of one member. Paolo
has though, gathered an international group of other developers and
testers. He also was, and still is, very quick to react to suggestions and
problems, sometimes in hours, I don't know when he sleeps!
The gliding community owes a big debt of gratitude to both these groups,
who have provided us with two fantastic navigation programs, and both are
free.
Dave

Old December 29th 11, 04:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara

I have several either factory refurbished or very good used HP 310's
starting at $150.00 complete that appear to be perfectly suited for LK8000.
The HP310 has built in GPS and internal battery and also comes with a
suitable modifiable mount, 12VDC Cables and PC Cables. With LK8000 as a free
software for soaring pilots the HP 310 makes just about the lowest cost
flight navigation and flight computer available.
Anyone interested in these HP310's can contact me from here or my website
regards
Tim Mara
Please visit the Wings & Wheels website at www.wingsandwheels.com

signature database 6752 (20111229) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 6752 (20111229) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old December 29th 11, 07:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PCool

Do you really believe so, Ian?
Have you read our web site credits, and the list of people working on?
I dont think so.
I'd like to thank all developers helping me with LK.
Their full names are on the Credits in the software, and on the web site.
Mateusz, Richard, Ulli, Bruno, Kalman, and I am omitting someone.
The next 3.0 is almost ready, after 16 beta releases and 10 months of hard
work.
We believe we did a good job also this time.
Apparently other people think so, and also commercial companies do (see LX
minimap for example, but I have nothing to do with it).

paolo

Old December 29th 11, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
lanebush

"Ian" ha scritto nel ternal-september.org...
[...]

Paolo,

I am a new convert you LK8000. My impression from the forum was that
it is a collaborative effort. Keep up the good work and duck when the
stones are thrown.

Lane
XF
Old December 29th 11, 07:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Dec 29, 11:03*am, "PCool" wrote:
[...]

Several customers of the Craggy Aero Ultimate Le are also running the
LK8000 software.

I looks extremly nice on a true sunlight readable display,

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

C302 with LK8000 Brad[_2_] Soaring 5 July 4th 11 02:52 AM
Brief review of Android XCSoar on the Streak 5 and LK8000 on the MIO 400 Mike[_8_] Soaring 7 April 1st 11 10:22 PM
LK8000 v2.0 released today PCool Soaring 17 January 18th 11 07:21 PM
iPAQ-310-LK8000-wind calculation Brad[_2_] Soaring 6 September 7th 10 11:05 PM
LK8000 questions Andy[_1_] Soaring 9 March 15th 10 11:10 AM