Paint

Old January 5th 06, 03:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Paint

I have a couple sections on my Cessna that I would like to repaint. Could
anyone recommend a book or guide for doing this? Specifically I'm looking
for what help on whay type of stripper and paint to use, primer
requirements, ...

Thanks,
Steve

Old January 5th 06, 04:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Steve wrote:
I have a couple sections on my Cessna that I would like to repaint. Could
anyone recommend a book or guide for doing this? Specifically I'm looking
for what help on whay type of stripper and paint to use, primer
requirements, ...

Thanks,
Steve

have you looked at the Cessna Manual? This is the final authority.

MEK takes the paint off nicely and you will have to use primer. I
typically use the Zinc Chormate on the metal.

Respirator is a must.

Michelle
Old January 5th 06, 05:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I have repainted my PA28-140 twice in the last twenty years. The only
paint I would recommend is Dupont Imron. I have tried other paints on
the trim areas but they did not last. Imron is very toxic and must be
used outside or with a respirator if in hanger. Zinc chromate is bad
for your health also, so be careful.

If you use Imron just use a splash of accelerator otherwise it will not
gloss well.

Old January 5th 06, 06:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

MEK takes the paint off nicely and you will have to use primer.

MEK takes paint off?

Maybe eventually, but I've not noticed that it had much effect on Imron.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 5th 06, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

In article ,
"Steve" wrote:

I have a couple sections on my Cessna that I would like to repaint. Could
anyone recommend a book or guide for doing this? Specifically I'm looking
for what help on whay type of stripper and paint to use, primer
requirements, ...

Go to www.redam.com
Click on the products link
Click on the STAZZ WET link

No MEK, no respirator, deactivates with water.
Use the gelled version, scrape it off, filter out the removed paint, use
it again.
Using the gelled version, you can also remove vinyl letters and decals
without harming the paint.
Old January 5th 06, 08:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Steve" wrote:

I have a couple sections on my Cessna that I would like to repaint. Could
anyone recommend a book or guide for doing this? Specifically I'm looking
for what help on whay type of stripper and paint to use, primer
requirements, ...

Are you touching up in small spots or painting whole panels? I've been
looking into touching up spots around windows. Imron is a spectacularly
expensive touchup paint! I painted a spinner a couple of years ago with
an automotive two-stage paint and it's holding up great although I
decided to polish my planes spinner because it "seemed" (another story)
like it would be easier. Any paint system is expensive since you need
to buy the catalyst, the appropriate thinner and other extras like a
dewaxer solvent
Owner painting is okay if it's not a control surface. I've been
planning on touching up with a gravity feed touchup gun because it
needs the least amount of paint in the cup, how were you going to apply
the paint?
Michael

Old January 6th 06, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Thanks for the help everyone!
I need to redo my entire cowl where it's scratched up from years of taking
it on and off. Plus the empennage is looking pretty rough from the bad
things that birds do to airplanes sitting under an open style T-Hangar. I
don't mind spending the money on quality paint and tools, and I'd much
rather do it myself than take it to a paint shop. (Buy the tool once and use
it many times is almost always better for me than paying someone to do the
job that already has the tool...)
I don't currently have a paint gun of any type, so unless someone has a
specific recommendation on the sprayer I was just going to start googling
and see what I can find. I have access to an area that I can paint in that
has electriciy and an air-compressor.
Steve

"Michael" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old January 6th 06, 03:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Painting a control surface is not a big deal. Just have it balanced
and signed off.
You can get good painting information from the EAA. Also, you may want
to check out some of these discussion forums on the net.
http://autobodystore.com/forum/index.php
http://www.sharpe1.com/cgi-bin/ubb/U...i?action=intro
http://www.autorestorer.com/
Ron Alexander wrote an excellent article several years ago.
http://exp-aircraft.com/library/alexande/painting.html

Old January 6th 06, 03:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I second the recommendation for Staz-Wet. I stripped my whole plane
with it - and would say that it works as advertised. You can also get
the liquid version - but be forewarned that it evaporates quickly. The
gel dries out before too long as well - but you can reactivate it with
the liquid.

David Johnson

Old January 6th 06, 04:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Be warned that spray painting is more than just a skill, it is an art.
You will need to practice before you attempt to paint that cowl. There
are numerous paint guns available. Try Northern Tool. They have
numerous outlets and a web site. You will need a device to separate
atmospheric water from the compressed air, also.
Also, the regs require weighing and rebalancing control surfaces.
( a bunch of )
So be cautious what you tell your mechanic at the next annual..
Again, Imron is dangerous stuff. Had a pilot at the field sent to
the hospital for two weeks for not using an aspirator while spraying in
a hanger. It can be absorbed through the skin and disrupt the nervous
system. Almost as bad a nerve gas.
Dupont has a second tier product paint, Chromacolor, a binary paint
which is typically used on autos. I do not have any experience with
this product.

Update on new paint job and leather seats - Trip back home Longworth Piloting 6 November 21st 05 07:52 PM
Thinning paint Michelle P Owning 12 June 4th 05 12:37 PM
Instrument Panel Paint [email protected] Owning 0 May 1st 05 02:54 PM
Trailer paint removal Chris Davison Soaring 13 September 3rd 04 10:42 PM
Choice of Paint for use over Copper foil Antennas Charlie Precourt Home Built 1 December 2nd 03 03:51 AM