Smoke, mirrors and the GBU - 12

Old August 31st 03, 07:19 PM
Xenia Dragon

Default Smoke, mirrors and the GBU - 12

Yesterday I read two articles on laser assisted
bombing which were quite satisfying but still
managed to leave me wondering about the technology
and the possibility of employing countermeasures
during weapon delivery.
Without giving away any "state secrets" perhaps
someone on rec.aviation,military could dispell
my idle thoughts on future possibilities?

In description of F15 strikes in Afghanistan
one author described instances where cloud cover
prevented the AC from lasing ground targets.
Numerical recognition codes required by the
F15 mounted laser and its bomb were relayed
by pilot voice (encrypted?) to well trained
FACs on the ground who punched the codes into their
man portable units. The GBU-12s were dropped
and completed flight under control of the FACs
using battery powered lasers aimed at their
targets, usually armour.

Question - how many times per second is the
recognition code transmitted on the beam or
is it continuous? When the laser is reflected
off of the target how widely dispersed does
the beam become and what happens to information
encoded in the laser beam? (If I am not
understanding the process, please explain.)
Assuming that countermeasures
are designed for a particularly costly and
sensitive military asset, what would be the
approximate configuration of kit designed to
acquire the beam, decode the signal, and turn
on countermeasures to make the bomb miss?
....because of course you cannot stop F15s from
flying or their bombs from being dropped.

Thankyou.
Old August 31st 03, 08:18 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Xenia Dragon" wrote in message
om...

snip
Question - how many times per second is the
recognition code transmitted on the beam or
is it continuous? When the laser is reflected
off of the target how widely dispersed does
the beam become and what happens to information
encoded in the laser beam? (If I am not
understanding the process, please explain.)

The laser light is a carrier, just like a radio signal. The easiest way to
modulate information onto a laser is acoustically.

Assuming that countermeasures
are designed for a particularly costly and
sensitive military asset, what would be the
approximate configuration of kit designed to
acquire the beam, decode the signal, and turn
on countermeasures to make the bomb miss?

A laser is very directional and intercepting the signal would require you to
be in line of sight between the laser and the designated target. This may
not be a survivable place to be, as you are now lased.

...because of course you cannot stop F15s from
flying or their bombs from being dropped.

Some have tried.

Old August 31st 03, 10:59 PM
Simon Robbins

"Tarver Engineering" wrote in message

The laser light is a carrier, just like a radio signal. The easiest way

modulate information onto a laser is acoustically.

Please explain what you mean, surely acoustics constitutes information and
not a modulation method? I'd have thought the easiest way to encode
information onto a laser carrier would be pulse-code modulation.

Si

Old September 1st 03, 10:11 AM
Simon Robbins

"Tarver Engineering" wrote in message
Acoustic coupling is a way information is amplitude modulated onto a laser
carrier.

I can see how that would work, but it would be very susceptible to
atmospheric pollution and signal degradation. Anything that would weaken the
strength of your laser light at the destination would play havoc with
amplitude modulation.

Morris code?

Not familiar with that.

Si

Old September 1st 03, 01:29 PM
Andrew Chaplin

Tarver Engineering wrote:

Morris code?

Morse code.

Morris code:

Meow = feed me
Meow, meow = feed me
Brrrup = get that plate of food down here, pronto!
Meow, meow, meow = get over here and open the door
Mrauw, mrauw = I'm going to puke on the Persian rug.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old September 1st 03, 05:27 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Simon Robbins" wrote in message

"Tarver Engineering" wrote in message
Acoustic coupling is a way information is amplitude modulated onto a

laser
carrier.

I can see how that would work, but it would be very susceptible to
atmospheric pollution and signal degradation.

How? What you wrote is non-sensical.

Anything that would weaken the
strength of your laser light at the destination would play havoc with
amplitude modulation.

No, but pcm is going to blink the laser.

Morris code?

Not familiar with that.

Think about it. blink blink blink ...

Old September 2nd 03, 03:13 AM
Tarver Engineering

"Simon Robbins" wrote in message

"Tarver Engineering" wrote in message
I can see how that would work, but it would be very susceptible to
atmospheric pollution and signal degradation.

How? What you wrote is non-sensical.

I don't think so. Amplitude modulating information onto a light carrier
would mean that any atmospheric interference, such as haze, smoke, etc.
would have the effect of corrupting the modulation levels compared to the
signal carrier mean signal to noise, much like ambient RF interference has

huge effect on amplitude modulated radio.

The smoke and atmospheric interference you describe make the laser deginator
non-operable.

Blinking the laser, as with PCM wouldn't interfere as much since it's an

all
or nothing signal. So, providing the laser source wasn't completely
obscurred, the information would still be recoverable. The bit-rate would
presumably be fast enough that a seeker wouldn't loose lock during the

zero
states.

You miss the reason for the laser being there in the first place.

Old September 2nd 03, 01:49 PM
Simon Robbins

"Tarver Engineering" wrote in message

The smoke and atmospheric interference you describe make the laser

deginator
non-operable.

Only in extreme cases. Humidity, mild dust and other airborne particulates
will degrade the laser's performance but not necessarily block it
completely.

You miss the reason for the laser being there in the first place.

No, a high bit rate of modulated binary data is not going to force the
seeker to loose lock if the seeker algorithm is written to handle it. Or
perhaps the technology is a lot less mature than I imagined it to be.

Si