EasyJet claims it has a miraculous new volcanic ash detector

Old June 4th 10, 04:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air
Mxsmanic

Default EasyJet claims it has a miraculous new volcanic ash detector

http://us.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/06/04/...tor/index.html
Old June 4th 10, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air
a[_3_]

On Jun 4, 11:38*am, Mxsmanic wrote:
http://us.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/06/04/...t.detector/ind...

Can we make it a crime to twist words so as to create a clever
acronym?

The new system -- dubbed the Airborne Volcanic Object Identifier and
Detector (AVOID) - was developed by Dr Fred Prata of the Norwegian
Institute for Air Research and has the backing of the British Civil
Aviation Authority (CAA).

People get paid money to come up with Characters Rearranged Avoiding
Pertinence like that.
Old June 4th 10, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air

In rec.aviation.piloting a wrote:
On Jun 4, 11:38Â*am, Mxsmanic wrote:
http://us.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/06/04/...t.detector/ind...

Can we make it a crime to twist words so as to create a clever
acronym?

The new system -- dubbed the Airborne Volcanic Object Identifier and
Detector (AVOID) - was developed by Dr Fred Prata of the Norwegian
Institute for Air Research and has the backing of the British Civil
Aviation Authority (CAA).

People get paid money to come up with Characters Rearranged Avoiding
Pertinence like that.

There's that and that the technology is about 40 years old at least.

Back in the early 70's I was paying my tutition by (among other things)
bolting sensors on airplanes to measure tiny particulates at altitude.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old June 4th 10, 10:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
William Black[_1_]

On 04/06/10 20:03, wrote:
In rec.aviation.piloting wrote:
On Jun 4, 11:38 am, wrote:
http://us.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/06/04/...t.detector/ind...

Can we make it a crime to twist words so as to create a clever
acronym?

The new system -- dubbed the Airborne Volcanic Object Identifier and
Detector (AVOID) - was developed by Dr Fred Prata of the Norwegian
Institute for Air Research and has the backing of the British Civil
Aviation Authority (CAA).

People get paid money to come up with Characters Rearranged Avoiding
Pertinence like that.

There's that and that the technology is about 40 years old at least.

Back in the early 70's I was paying my tutition by (among other things)
bolting sensors on airplanes to measure tiny particulates at altitude.

There was an interview with one of the scientists on TV in the UK today.

It seems the technology has existed for years, it just wasn't cost
effective to fit before this year.

--
William Black

These are the gilded popinjays and murderous assassins of Perfidious
Albion and they are about their Queen's business. Any man who impedes
their passage does so at his own peril.

Old June 4th 10, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Jun 4, 11:38 am, wrote:
[...]

Or more to the point, there was no incentive to have such a system before
this year as a volcano disrupting air traffic is historically a rare event.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old June 8th 10, 06:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
VOR-DME[_3_]

In article
,
says...

Can we make it a crime to twist words so as to create a clever
acronym?

People get paid money to come up with Characters Rearranged Avoiding
Pertinence like that.

How about PIF trauma?
Western governments are now completely regimented by Pie In the Face stress
disorder.
While a small majority of people still recognize they cannot blame their
governments for natural disasters (notwithstanding attempts at same by
inventing global warming), it has become routine and automatic to blame
them for not reacting adequately and not practicing enough prevention.

In the hundred something years that airplanes have been flying, not a year
has gone by without volcanoes erupting somewhere on the planet. There have
been a couple of anecdotal run-ins at very high altitude - certainly worth
practicing some avoidance, but the death toll still remains at zero. The
European governments must feel a great sense of injustice at being
criticized for pulling the main circuit breaker on the entire society in
their latest _prevention_ efforts, causing untold damage and hardship for
millions for no justifiable cause. Geez - What’s a government to do?

Old June 8th 10, 06:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave Doe

In article ,
says...

In article
,
says...

[...]

Short memory? - check this incident out (I think it's one of the major
incidents that's led to the closure of airways - they don't want a
repeat!) ...

A 747, all four engines stopped, for about 12 minutes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_9

--
Duncan.
Old June 8th 10, 01:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mark

On Jun 8, 5:45*am, Mxsmanic wrote:

Nobody dies from accidents until the
accidents occur.

Old June 8th 10, 01:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave Doe

In article b726c02b-536d-42b8-acc7-eabb63fed678
@g19g2000yqc.googlegroups.com, says...

On Jun 8, 5:45*am, Mxsmanic wrote:

Nobody dies from accidents until the
accidents occur.

Please don't point out the troll.

--
Duncan.

Volcanic Ash Prog sid Piloting 3 May 11th 10 09:30 AM
EGCC 11-11-09 G-EZTM Airbus A.320-214 Easyjet Andrew B Aviation Photos 0 November 17th 09 04:44 PM
EasyJet Airbus A319-111 @ Edinburgh Drew Malcolm Aviation Photos 0 August 18th 09 11:15 AM
Easyjet Fabio Aviation Photos 2 April 14th 07 06:54 AM
How find out one's aviation insurance claims history? Aviation Claims Information Bureau? cloudclimbr Owning 1 February 15th 04 11:16 PM