Newbie questions Rail / Ejector launchers

Old November 12th 03, 04:00 AM
Pete

"Pete" wrote

A general rule for missiles might be:
Ejector racks next/on the fuselage
Rails away from the fuselage. underwing and wingtip.

And of course, to any "general rule", there is an exception.

A-7
Little pylons w/ rails, mounted to the fuselage.
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/a-7-dvic154.jpg

Pete

Old November 12th 03, 04:01 AM
Pete

"Bob Martin" wrote in message
So a AIM-9 when mounted on the fuselage willl be ejector launched or are
they limited by design?

All AIM-9's are rail launched. Fuselage mounting of one would require a
short pylon and a rail attached to it.

A-7

Old November 12th 03, 07:40 AM
John Keeney

"Pete" wrote in message

"Bob Martin" wrote in message
So a AIM-9 when mounted on the fuselage willl be ejector launched or

are
they limited by design?

All AIM-9's are rail launched. Fuselage mounting of one would require a
short pylon and a rail attached to it.

A-7
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/a-7-dvic154.jpg

Looks like it fits the discription well, doesn't it.

Old November 12th 03, 05:11 PM
Alan Minyard

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 04:00:33 GMT, "Pete" wrote:

"Pete" wrote

A general rule for missiles might be:
Ejector racks next/on the fuselage
Rails away from the fuselage. underwing and wingtip.

And of course, to any "general rule", there is an exception.

A-7
Little pylons w/ rails, mounted to the fuselage.
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/a-7-dvic154.jpg

Pete

As with the F-8 and F-104

Al Minyard
Old November 12th 03, 05:47 PM
Ed Rasimus

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 11:11:56 -0600, Alan Minyard
wrote:

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 04:00:33 GMT, "Pete" wrote:

"Pete" wrote

A general rule for missiles might be:
Ejector racks next/on the fuselage
Rails away from the fuselage. underwing and wingtip.

And of course, to any "general rule", there is an exception.

A-7
Little pylons w/ rails, mounted to the fuselage.
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/a-7-dvic154.jpg

Pete

As with the F-8 and F-104

Al Minyard

Certainly the F-8 mounted AIM-9s on fuselage pylons, but don't think
you'll find any Zippers with such. Strictly wing-tip mounts as I
recall.

I don't think there's a "general rule" for rail vs ejector. Certainly
free-fall weapons are ejector released, predominantly to insure clear
and immediate separation from the airframe.

Missiles, it seems, depend upon the size. Smaller missiles tend toward
rail mount since they obtain an initial stabilized vector from their
launch run. Larger missiles, with a larger impulse motor, seem to lean
toward ejector release with an umbilical that allows for motor fire
once clear of the airframe. Examples would be the large AGM-12C
Bullpup (ejector) compared to the AGM-12B (rail). Or, the AGM-45
Shrike (rail) compared to the AGM-78 Standard (ejector).

Old November 12th 03, 08:13 PM
peter wezeman

Vygg wrote in message ...
peter wezeman wrote:

AL wrote in message ...

Hi,

Here is a newbie question.

What are the merits and the pitfalls of rail vs ejector launchers
for guided missiles? I suppose bombs have to be ejector launched and
rockets rail.

Whenever I visit an airshow, I ended up scratching my head.

Ejectors are used to place a missile or bomb far enough away from the
aircraft so that they are in relatively undisturbed airflow. This has been
required on every fighter that carries missiles in an internal weapons
bay, such as the F-102, F-106, YF-12, and the new FA-22. Ejectors are
also often useful for external stores to get the weapon clear of the
complex flow field near the aircraft. Extensive tests are carried out
for any new aircraft or new store to determine the separation behavior
and what type of ejector is required for it. I have a vague memory that
the F-14 required especially powerful ejectors to ensure clean separation
of bombs carried under the fuselage, as the fuselage of that aircraft is
a lifting body and stores are subjected to aerodynamic forces that tend
to push them up against the aircraft. I think it was also an F-14 that
shot itself down when the ejector for a Sparrow missile failed and the
missile lit off while still held in its recess.

Hope this helps,
Peter Wezeman
anti-social Darwinist

The F-106 and F-102 used rails, not ejectors for the AIM-4. Only the AIR-2A was "ejected" from the bay.

Vygg

In the pictures I have seen, the Falcon missiles on the F-102 and F-106
were held on parallelogram linkage devices that swung them down out of
the weapons bay. I had thought that this was a type of ejector, but is
it actually considered to be a retractable rail mount? Did it release
the missile with a downward component of velocity, or did the missile
fly itself forward off the rail? Did the missile guidance system have
to establish lock on the target before it was launched?

thank you
Peter Wezeman
anti-social Darwinist
Old November 12th 03, 09:13 PM
Vygg

peter wezeman wrote:

Vygg wrote in message

peter wezeman wrote:

AL wrote in message

[...]

On the F-106, rails 1 & 2 (forward) were connected by a web (actually a
large metal plate rather than a spiderweb contraption), and rails 3 & 4
(aft) separately bracketed the ejector rack for the AIR-2A. The forward
rails came down together (obviously, since they were connected) and the
aft rails lowered simultaneously after 1 & 2 were retracted and clear.
The Falcons were fired in pairs after the aircraft locked onto the
target (MA-1A Radar for the AIM-4F, IR sensor on the upper part of the
nose forward of the windscreen for the AIM-4G). The missiles came
forward off of the rails. No ejector cartridges were loaded (or
necessary) for the Falcons.

The AIR-2A was kicked down out of the bay by a pair of ejectors and a
lanyard pulled a pin in the rocket motor to fire it once the weapon
cleared the aircraft. No actual "lock-on" was necessary for the Genie as
it was ballistic. The AWCIS did, however, compute a flight path and
time-to-go for detonation, as well as an egress sequence for the
aircraft to escape the blast. That path was flown automatically if the
pilot was in Auto AFCS and had SAGE Datalink in control.

Can't speak for the Dagger as the only ones that I ever were around were
all QFs. The drones didn't use the weapons bay, AFAIK.

Vygg

Old November 12th 03, 09:40 PM
José Herculano

Certainly the F-8 mounted AIM-9s on fuselage pylons, but don't think
you'll find any Zippers with such. Strictly wing-tip mounts as I
recall.

The Zipper can carry them on the wing-tips, as you stated, but also on a
double belly pylon, just in front of the main gear doors.

_____________
José Herculano

Old November 13th 03, 01:25 AM
WaltBJ

The F104G had a double rail pylon (2xAIM9s) that could be mounted on
the center fuselage station. I don't know if the C had the same
capability. FWIW USAF experimented with a 104A carrying a Genie (MB1)
nuke rocket on an extendable rail hung on a center fuselage station. I
think the problem was lack of precise ranging information for an
accurate launch. (Glad they didn't do it - nukes were always a PITA.)
Walt BJ
Old November 14th 03, 07:47 PM
Alan Minyard

wrote:

[...]

There was a seldom used set of rails that mounted on the C/L just aft
or the front gear door. I don't think they were used operationally, but
they did exist.

Al Minyard