Flight Level and a half

Old September 24th 05, 09:13 PM
Matt Barrow

"Newps" wrote in message

Matt Barrow wrote:

Well knock me over with a feather!!

Above 18,000 feet, where the separation is 1000 feet

The separation is a minimum of 1000 feet, no reason I can't just give you
more airspace.

So where in the FAR' is there authorization for VFR ops above FL180?

and AFAIK, VFR
operations are definitely NOT allowed? The example given was 33,500
feet...RVSM air space.

You won't be given an OTP clearance but then at 330 you wouldn't need that
since you're hard pressed to find many clouds up there that aren't already
thunderstorms.

So you're saying one could operate VFR at FL330?

--
Matt

---------------------
Matthew W. Barrow
Site-Fill Homes, LLC.
Montrose, CO

Old September 25th 05, 01:25 AM
Mike Rapoport

The US mountains where 1500AGL is over 18K' are all in AK. There is also no
class A over the Aleution Islands.

Mike
MU-2

"Blanche" wrote in message
Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"Blanche" wrote in message

Uh....if you're between 18K and 60K in the US, then you are required
to be on an IFR flight plan, hence only at even number altitudes.
33,500 is inappropriate.

That's not correct. You're required to be on an IFR flight plan in Class
airspace, but not all airspace between 18K and 60K in the US is Class A.

By the way, 33,500 IS an even number.

My bad. I meant all thousands, not the half thousands that we're
used to in VFR.

Second my bad...what airspace in the US 18K and 60K is not
Class A? Not counting the big mountain in Washington state. (sorry,
can't remember the name)

Old September 25th 05, 03:14 AM
Matt Barrow

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
ink.net...
It isn't a VFR op.

VFR on top is not a VFR op?

Old September 25th 05, 03:42 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

So where in the FAR' is there authorization for VFR ops above FL180?

There isn't any. The FARs tend to prohibit things, not authorize them. So
where in the FARs is there prohibition of VFR ops above FL180?

So you're saying one could operate VFR at FL330?

Sure, as long as you're not in Class A airspace.

Old September 25th 05, 03:43 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

VFR on top is not a VFR op?

No, it isn't. VFR-on-top is an IFR operation.

Old September 26th 05, 04:19 AM
Mike Rapoport

Actually VFR glider operations are frequently authorized above 18K' (in
class A). Near Minden, NV, ATC simply opens up blocks of airspace allowing
gliders to soar in mountain waves.

Mike
MU-2

nk.net...

Old September 26th 05, 04:24 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
ink.net...

Actually VFR glider operations are frequently authorized above 18K' (in
class A).

Sure, in accordance with FAR 91.135(d).

"An operator may deviate from any provision of this section under the
provisions of an ATC authorization issued by the ATC facility having
jurisdiction of the airspace concerned."

Old September 26th 05, 06:28 AM
Matt Barrow

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
nk.net...
No, like Steven said, it is an IFR operation.

Well, Newps and a couple others have been saying that VFR on top at 33,500
feet was legit. (or at least they snipped the original statement).

I agree with you that and hold that anything over 18,000 feet is strictly a
IFR operation and conducted in 1000 foot increments (also that if someone is
at a 500 foot intermediate level they are only passing through that
altitude, not cruising.