So do Boeing 787's need wing sand, wax, buff, reprofile, refinish?

Old July 11th 07, 08:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stewart Kissel

Default So do Boeing 787's need wing sand, wax, buff, reprofile, refinish?

I am intrigued by the construction of the Dreamliner...carbon
fiber makes it's way to commercial aircraft. This
got me wondering about the construction techniques
of glider wings vs how Boeing does it. Will the 787
have spar bumps after a few years? Are the wings pulled
out of molds? Do they buy gelcoat from the same German
manufacturer as SH or Schleicher? Or are they painted
in poly? Any Boeing types out there with some insights?

Old July 11th 07, 09:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jul 11, 2:55 pm, Stewart Kissel
wrote:
I am intrigued by the construction of the Dreamliner...carbon
fiber makes it's way to commercial aircraft. This
got me wondering about the construction techniques
of glider wings vs how Boeing does it. Will the 787
have spar bumps after a few years? Are the wings pulled
out of molds? Do they buy gelcoat from the same German
manufacturer as SH or Schleicher? Or are they painted
in poly? Any Boeing types out there with some insights?

most importantly, do they tape the wing roots? and if so do they use
the expensive 3M stuff or just electrical tape?

Old July 11th 07, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
nimbusgb

Wander down the airport terminal and mumble 'I'm looking for crew'.
Watch crowds scatter

Old July 11th 07, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kloudy via AviationKB.com

Dang..and imagine alla them Hotelier fittings ya gotta pin.

Old July 12th 07, 07:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

On Jul 11, 3:53 pm, "Kloudy via AviationKB.com" u33403@uwe wrote:
Dang..and imagine alla them Hotelier fittings ya gotta pin.

Trailering is difficult.

Old July 12th 07, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rustynuts

Kloudy via AviationKB.com wrote:
Dang..and imagine alla them Hotelier fittings ya gotta pin.

I'll bet ya there all automatic hook ups.

Old July 12th 07, 06:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
nimbusgb

On 12 Jul, 15:31, rustynuts wrote:
Kloudy via AviationKB.com wrote:
Dang..and imagine alla them Hotelier fittings ya gotta pin.

I'll bet ya there all automatic hook ups.

I've heard that polishing the bugs of the leading edge after they've
been blasted on at 200 kts is a real pain

Old July 13th 07, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I wonder if 747 pilots mumble about "glassholes" when the 787 pilots
walk by.

Old July 13th 07, 02:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jack[_1_]

wrote:

I wonder if 747 pilots mumble about "glassholes" when the 787 pilots
walk by.

Depends on how the last merger skewed the seniority list, again.

Jack