Need Help with Northstar M1 Loran

Old December 7th 03, 08:43 PM
Jerald Malin

Default Need Help with Northstar M1 Loran

Gang:

The Northstar M1 Loran in our Warrior has suddenly gone weird on us.

It was working great when wifey and I flew up to visit the kids, but the
very next day, my plane partner went to use the plane and the Loran kept
asking us to input "our code".

We have attempted all sorts of numbers to no avail. We have powered it on
and off. We have twisted every knob. Nothing seems to work.

The M1 has worked great for the last 4 years that we have owned the plane,
and was in there when we bought it. We have never needed a "code" to this
point.

E-mail to Northstar has gone unanswered.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jerry Malin
Warrior N82045

Old December 7th 03, 09:22 PM
Paul Mennen

Northstar has contracted out repair of the M1/M2 to:

CMC Electronics
600 Dr. Frederik Philips Blvd.
Ville St. Laurent, Quebec H4M 2S9
Tel: 514-748-3012
Fax: 514-748-3024

Some names I have there are (the 1st one is the actual repair technician):

Ormee M. Chamberlain:
Samantha Morin (ext 4902):

Johanne Millette (ext 4275):

My M2 has a battery which only lasts 5-10 years. If the M1 has
a similar battery that could be your problem. I replaced the
battery myself, but it was difficult. (Soldered into a board
that was hard too remove). I wouldn't recommend it unless you
have a fair amount of electronics experience. Cheaper than
repairing your unit, might be to buy a used one. Many people
are getting rid of their old Loran units as they upgrade to GPS,
so they usually sell for next to nothing.

~Paul Mennen

Old December 7th 03, 09:36 PM
paul k. sanchez

Gang:

The Northstar M1 Loran in our Warrior has suddenly gone weird on us.

It was working great when wifey and I flew up to visit the kids, but the very

next day, my plane partner went to use the plane and the Loran kept asking us
to input "our code".

We have attempted all sorts of numbers to no avail. We have powered it on and

off. We have twisted every knob. Nothing seems to work.

The M1 has worked great for the last 4 years that we have owned the plane, and

was in there when we bought it. We have never needed a "code" to this point.

E-mail to Northstar has gone unanswered.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jerry Malin
Warrior N82045

Jerry:

Did you read the manual? Please keep in mind that CMC Electronics now handles
support for the Northstar avionics. Who ever used the Northstar M1A loran last
actived the "Starguard" feature. An access code is required to enter before the
unit can be used. After you enter the access code the "Starguard" feature can
be deactivated.

If you cannot get the access code assigned to your unit serial number, you'll
have to buy another unit or the M60/M2 on ebay. I think there are many features
about the unit you and your partner do not know, and unfortunately you may have
an unusable unit because of this feature you accidently activated.

Did you go thru a training course on the Northstar M1A before using it on your
own? If so this caveat should have been covered. Perhaps you could call the
instructor who gave you the Northstar M1A training course and ask him for a
solution.

Page 111 of the Northstar M60, M2 pilot guide:

7.2 STARGUARDâ„¢ THEFT-PROTECTION SYSTEM
Northstar navigators are well-known for being the navigation aid for large
numbers of pilots. Unfortunately, there have been a few reported cases in which
certain people apparently didn't want to buy their own Northstar navigator;
instead, they just removed one from an aircraft parked on the ramp. To help
alleviate this problem, Northstar Avionics offers Starguard as a standard
feature on its avionics navigators. Starguard gives you the option of using two
levels of security protection, if you want to. (You may leave Starguard
inactive if you don’t want to use it. It won’t impede your operation of the
unit whatsoever.)

• To activate the first level of protection, your personal access code is
used once to enter a personal greeting that’s subsequently displayed every
time the unit is turned on, identifying you as the owner.

• Activating the Starguard full protection prohibits the unit from
functioning at all until your access code has been entered.

A window decal is provided reminding any potential thief that the unit won’t
function if it’s removed from the aircraft.

7.2.1 Your personal access code
A plastic card printed with your access code will be mailed directly to the
address shown on your owner's registration card.

Under no circumstances will this code be given out over the telephone. Be sure
you fill out and mail with a complete address your registration card, so that
we may send you this access card and any other update information!

You can always use this code to access Starguard. If you want to add an
alternate, or second, access code, you may do so as described below. Either
code may then be used.

To add a second access code that’s easier to remember (you may choose a new
access code up to six characters long, containing the characters A-Z, 0-9, and
blank):

1. Turn the large secondary knob to SETUP. Turn the small secondary knob to
display the following, and press ACK.

2. The unit will first ask you to enter your existing code. Use the small and
large secondary knobs to carefully enter those characters, then press ACK. If
you fail to enter a correct code three consecutive times, the unit won’t let
you try again for five minutes.

3. The unit will ask you to enter your new code. Use the small and large
secondary knobs to enter the new characters, then press ACK.

4. The unit will ask you to enter your new code a second time to verify it. Use
the secondary knobs, then press ACK.

Subsequently, this readout in SETUP displays:
$’’ý$/7ï&2’("ýýýýýýýýýýýýýý$&."ýýý
&+$1*(ý$/7ï&2’("ýýýýýýýýýýý$&."ýýý

7.2.2 Starguard level 1
Entering your own personal greeting to be displayed when the unit is turned on.
Letters, numbers, and several punctuation characters are available for your
greeting. Plan your greeting to accommodate a visible space between the primary
and secondary readout.

1. Turn the large secondary knob to SETUP. Turn the small secondary knob to
display the following, and press ACK.

2. The unit will ask for your access code:

3. Use the small and large secondary knobs to enter the characters of your
access code, then press ACK.

4. The unit will ask you to enter the left-most 16 characters of your greeting:
$&."ý/()7ý06*ãý Use the small and large secondary knobs to enter the
characters. When finished, press ACK.

5. The unit will ask you to enter the right-most 16 characters of your
greeting: $&."ý5,*+7ý06*: Use the small and large secondary knobs to enter
the characters. When finished, press ACK.

7.2.3 Starguard level 2
Activating Starguard full protection

Since the fully-activated Starguard requires that you enter your access code
every time you turn the unit on, you may want to activate this feature only
when the aircraft will be left unattended for a long period of time. You may
activate or deactivate it at any time.

1. Turn the large secondary knob to SETUP. Turn the small secondary knob to
display:
&+$1*(ý285ý06*ýýýýýýýýýýýýý$&."
285ý&2’(ñý3/($6(ýýýýýýýýýýý$&."ý
67$5*8$5’ãýýýýýýýý2))

2. Turn the small primary knob to change the word 2)) to 21, and press ACK.

3. The unit will ask you to enter your access code as described above.

4. After you’ve entered the access code correctly, the unit will display
2.ñý7+$1.ý28ýand activate Starguard.

The unit will now require entry of the correct code every time it’s turned
on, until you decide to deactivate Starguard.

To deactivate, display the 67$5*8$5’ message as described above and turn the
small primary knob to 2)). Then press ACK.
paul k. sanchez, cfii-mei
on eagles’ wings
2011 south perimeter road, suite g
fort lauderdale, florida 33309-7135
305-389-1742 wireless
954-776-0527 fax
954-345-4276 home/fax

Old December 8th 03, 12:29 AM
CriticalMass

"Jerald Malin" wrote in message
ink.net...
The Northstar M1 Loran in our Warrior has suddenly gone weird on us.
E-mail to Northstar has gone unanswered.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

I won't quote anything from the owner's manual, but I still have the one I
removed when I went to GPS. Mint condition, and I'd sell it for $100 +
shipping.

If you don't get yours resolved and you want to talk, email me at
. I'm in TX.

Dave

Old December 8th 03, 05:38 PM
G.R. Patterson III

"paul k. sanchez" wrote:

Who ever used the Northstar M1A loran last actived the "Starguard" feature.

Or possibly someone replaced yours with a stolen unit that has this feature
activated.

George Patterson
Some people think they hear a call to the priesthood when what they really
hear is a tiny voice whispering "It's indoor work with no heavy lifting".

LORAN antenna difference? JFLEISC Home Built 6 December 24th 04 10:10 PM
Northstar Datacard Needed Bill Zaleski Aviation Marketplace 0 October 29th 03 11:12 AM
Flybuddy Loran Henry Kisor Owning 5 September 18th 03 10:47 PM
WTB: Northstar database Bill Zaleski Aviation Marketplace 0 September 8th 03 02:53 PM
Database update for Foster LRN-500 loran? Ray Andraka Owning 4 September 3rd 03 06:08 PM