British License in Italy ?

Old September 4th 05, 11:49 PM
BergfalkeIV

Default British License in Italy ?

Hello !

I wonder if there are any peculiarities about flying with a BGA License
in Italy. Have any British pilots got in any difficulty ?
I also have a JAR class 2 medical available.

Any recommendations about soaring in the greater area around Napoli ?
I will be based at Pomigliano d' Arco for 7-8 months.

Regards

Vassilios

Old September 5th 05, 09:25 PM
Mike Lindsay

In article .com,
BergfalkeIV writes
Hello !

I wonder if there are any peculiarities about flying with a BGA License
in Italy. Have any British pilots got in any difficulty ?
I also have a JAR class 2 medical available.

Any recommendations about soaring in the greater area around Napoli ?
I will be based at Pomigliano d' Arco for 7-8 months.

Regards

Vassilios

I don't think there's any problem. I flew at Aosta with some members of
our club in the early 90s. And the year before, with a group from
Oelinghausen.
--
Mike Lindsay
Old September 6th 05, 01:05 AM
2cernauta2

"BergfalkeIV" wrote:

Hello !

I wonder if there are any peculiarities about flying with a BGA License
in Italy. Have any British pilots got in any difficulty ?
I also have a JAR class 2 medical available.

Your medical might be useful, but probably no problems

Any recommendations about soaring in the greater area around Napoli ?
I will be based at Pomigliano d' Arco for 7-8 months.

There's no gliding activity south of Rieti. That's a pity, 'cause
soaring conditions are quite good.
There might be some towplanes very close to Napoli, in Salerno -
Pontecagnano.
There's sporadic glider activity in Puglia (Lavello) and Basilicata
(Grumento). With a little work I might be able to search through my
friends for contacts

ciao

Aldo Cernezzi

Old September 6th 05, 09:01 AM
Paul Machacek

I was in Rieti a couple of months ago. They required
for me to get a Jar2 medical, and i had to apply for
the international glider pilots licence from the BGA
as the little green cardboard thing you get for soloing
is no good. But apart from that there was not much
else i had to do.

It's a shame there isn't more gliding activity in Italy
as their weather is a d4mn site better than the rubbish
we have to endure.

Oh well!

Paul

?

Old September 6th 05, 09:05 PM
Flavio Formosa

At 08:06 06 September 2005, Paul Machacek wrote:
I was in Rieti a couple of months ago. They required
for me to get a Jar2 medical, and i had to apply for
the international glider pilots licence from the BGA
as the little green cardboard thing you get for soloing
is no good. But apart from that there was not much
else i had to do.

It's a shame there isn't more gliding activity in Italy
as their weather is a d4mn site better than the rubbish
we have to endure.

Oh well!

Paul

There is quite some gliding activity in Italy, the
shame is all the clubs are based north of Rieti, while
some of the best soaring conditions are probably in
the south. Oh, and we have plenty of your rubbish as
well, in many flatland sites!
Since the inception of EASA, you have to have an EASA
valid license (which entails at least a JAR-FCL3 class
2 medical) to fly anywhere in EASA countries, Italy
included. Alas, I can't tell you how to convert your
BGA license into an EASA one....
Try Rieti if you can, you won't be disappointed. The
National Soaring Centre's website is www.aeccvv.it

Cheers,
Flavio