Why No N-Number in FAA Database?

Old December 16th 03, 12:48 PM
Carl Orton

Default Why No N-Number in FAA Database?

Hi all;

Checking into my first plane purchase, and have a question for you that I'm
not sure of.

I found a plane. I have not seen the registration cert (haven't looked for
it).

The N-number is *not* in the FAA aircraft registry database.

Why? I thought that registrations were good until changed - as in,
transferred to another owner, or if the a/c were totalled.

Thanks for any insight;
Carl

Old December 16th 03, 12:55 PM
Dave S

Even if totalled... it may still exist..

My father ditched a Beech 18 off of Honolulu in the late 70's (totalling
the airframe).. A few years ago I found his old log books and the N
number is still registered to his name and that now totalled aircraft.

I dont know how to explain your lack of finding info, except to say
maybe 1) you made an error or 2) someone is not providing good info 3)
the government is being its usual self.

Dave

Old December 16th 03, 04:35 PM
Blanche

Gene Kearns wrote:
Another scenario is that the triennial registration was not returned
for a number of cycles, the aircraft was considered lost, and the
N-number returned to the pool of available numbers.

Hm....I got my notice this summer and it stated to return only if something
changed (name, address, ownership, etc).

Old December 16th 03, 05:01 PM

On 16-Dec-2003, "Carl Orton" wrote:

I found a plane. I have not seen the registration cert (haven't looked for
it).

The N-number is *not* in the FAA aircraft registry database.

Why?

One possible reason is that the N-number was recently changed, which often
is done (at the request of the owner) when a plane is repainted. It takes
some time, as in months, for the FA data base to reflect such changes.

You may be able to search the data base by manufacturer's serial number,
which will NEVER change. Or ask the owner to explain the situation.

--
-Elliott Drucker
Old December 16th 03, 08:34 PM
Dennis O'Connor

I reported an aircraft sale... Two years later the new owner still had not
registered it in his name and it still showed on the database as registered
to me, which leaves me at risk of an expensive legal battle if there is a
crash..... The owner refused to answer my phone calls or letters...
Fortuitously, at that time the FAA sent me the usual postcard where you can
change the airplanes status.. I 'checked' the back side of the form where
the check box is for 'destroyed' and sent it back... About six weeks later
the airplane disappeared from the database...
Denny

"Dave S" wrote in message
nk.net...
Even if totalled... it may still exist..

Old December 16th 03, 09:16 PM
Jim Fisher

"Dennis O'Connor" wrote in message
I 'checked' the back side of the form where
the check box is for 'destroyed' and sent it back... About six weeks later
the airplane disappeared from the database...

I love it!

Did the new owner ever recover the aircraft?

--
Jim Fisher

Old December 17th 03, 12:50 AM
Carl Orton

Update:

The a/c was (still is) repossessed.

Allegedly (use this word strongly) someone sent in a de-register request due
with "a/c destroyed" as the reason.

Then, someone else (unsure here) allegedly requested the same number as a
custom request.

So, even if the plane gets re-registered, the old number cannot be used (or
at least, until the year is up if they never actually use the number).

Interesting way to protest a reposession?

Found out most of this via AOPA. I have a copy of the FAA registry on my
computer, but as noted, found nothing. AOPA was able to immediately go
directly to FAA while I was on the phone to tell me about the
de-registration and number reservation.

When I called the bank to tell them this news, they were a bit surprised!!!
They're supposedly working it with one of their title services in OKC.

Should be interesting....

Old December 17th 03, 02:02 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Dennis O'Connor wrote:

I 'checked' the back side of the form where
the check box is for 'destroyed' and sent it back... About six weeks later
the airplane disappeared from the database...

I wonder if this is the same plane Carl's checking out?

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually
said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."
Old December 17th 03, 02:04 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Gene Kearns wrote:

Another scenario is that the triennial registration was not returned
for a number of cycles, the aircraft was considered lost, and the
N-number returned to the pool of available numbers.

Tri-ennial registration?

Old December 17th 03, 07:28 AM
Roger Halstead

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 21:29:21 -0500, Gene Kearns
wrote:

On 16 Dec 2003 09:35:15 -0700, Blanche
wrote:

Gene Kearns wrote:
Another scenario is that the triennial registration was not returned
for a number of cycles, the aircraft was considered lost, and the
N-number returned to the pool of available numbers.

Hm....I got my notice this summer and it stated to return only if something
changed (name, address, ownership, etc).

Not sure of your particular situation (you may qualify under paragraph
(a), but this is the law as written:

http://www.risingup.com/fars/info/part47-51-FAR.shtml

Nope, that's not on the form.
I've only sent one in and that was when we changed the registration.
All others have stated, you do not need to return this form if no
changes have been made. So, over the last 13 or 14 years I've only
sent one in. Aparently the FAA doesn't read their own FARs, or figure
it's an Opt-in. IE, if it ain't changed we'll enter it that way.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair?)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Return address modified due to dumb virus checkers