Paint for trailer

Old June 30th 16, 07:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Colin Roney

Default Paint for trailer

GRP trailer (Lak12) needs repainting.
Just completed the rubbing down and general preparation and now in need of
advice as to the best stuff to paint it with. Nothing flashy but just good
quality paint.

Old June 30th 16, 08:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I'd use PU, just not the good stuff we use on sailplanes, PPG has a PU made for commercial vehicles that's half the price of Concept. I'd also add some flatter (10%) ........ A real shiny surface shows all the little imprafections. A gallon of mixed product should be more than enough.
JJ
Old June 30th 16, 11:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

On Thursday, June 30, 2016 at 1:00:05 PM UTC-6, Colin Roney wrote:
GRP trailer (Lak12) needs repainting.
Just completed the rubbing down and general preparation and now in need of
advice as to the best stuff to paint it with. Nothing flashy but just good
quality paint.

I used this on my fiberglass topped trailer. Goes on easily with a roller, flows well with a nice finish.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...e+Polyurethane

Mike
Old July 1st 16, 12:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

"If it looks decent in fluorescent light, it will look good in daylight.......".

You want to sell, you want to protect, you want perfect. You answer.
Old July 1st 16, 11:25 AM
Skypilot Skypilot is offline
Member

I used a high quality marine paint called shipshape from Norglass

http://www.norglass.com.au/products/...imer-undercoat

I was recommended by a professional ship farer, I am not sure if it's available in the USA.

I rolled it on and came out really well, there are photos here

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~jjsinclair/gallery.html

Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Roney View Post
Old July 2nd 16, 04:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
K m

On Thursday, June 30, 2016 at 1:00:05 PM UTC-6, Colin Roney wrote:
GRP trailer (Lak12) needs repainting.
Just completed the rubbing down and general preparation and now in need of
advice as to the best stuff to paint it with. Nothing flashy but just good
quality paint.

Just did my 1999 Cobra with PPG PU and Clear. The problem with much of the Hardware Store grade stuff is longevity. I get compliments and ten years from now it will still look good. Another problem with the cheap stuff is compatibility. It sucks to do all the prep and watch your base coat blow up because someone decided to use cheap paint (Ask how I know this). Stay away from anything made by Rustolium (They market under several other brands like Duplicolor).
Old July 4th 16, 11:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Colin Roney

Many thanks to those of you who contributed. Much appreciated.
Colin

=
Hardware Store grade stuff is longevity. I get compliments and ten years
fr=
om now it will still look good. Another problem with the cheap stuff is
com=
patibility. It sucks to do all the prep and watch your base coat blow up
be=
cause someone decided to use cheap paint (Ask how I know this). Stay away
f=
rom anything made by Rustolium (They market under several other brands
like=
Duplicolor).

2013 Cobra trailer price list needed for TA trailer sale [email protected] Soaring 0 June 22nd 13 02:42 PM
Cheap Cobra Trailer Lights 1998 Trailer on E-bay USA ONLY! flyingmr2 Soaring 4 November 16th 10 03:11 AM
Trailer Paint Scheme Tony Condon[_2_] Soaring 21 July 16th 09 07:27 PM
Paint on trailer tops Ed Gaddy Soaring 4 July 20th 06 06:01 AM
Trailer paint removal Chris Davison Soaring 13 September 3rd 04 10:42 PM