Thermal right, land left

Old March 15th 04, 02:55 PM
Uri Saovray

Sure, but that doesn't take care of INADVERTENT opening of the
spoilers. Examples: weak geometric lock + some turbulence;
Dual-command + some confusion in the other seat; You can probably
think of more examples...
Uri

Pete Zeugma wrote in message ...
At 22:18 14 March 2004, Uri Saovray wrote:
Speaking of simple warning devices:
How about a simple hookup to a horn which is activated
when the
airbrakes are opened while the towhook is engaged (i.e.
open spoilers
during tow)?
A microswitch on the airbrake levers would be the no-brainer
part.
What about the towhook? Magnetic sensor? where? How?

Other ideas?

how about the last 'B' in CB-SIFT-CB i've always found
it to be a no-brainer personally, and its completely
free! Usually accompanied by the guy who attaches the
towrope/cable saying that phrase 'brakes closed and
locked?'

Old March 15th 04, 03:46 PM
Dick Johnson

I forgot to mention that the stall warning unit, set normally to about
10% stall margin. appears to be of help while thermalling also. Going
too slow and/or pulling too many "G" will increase drag, besides being
dangerous. A prompt easing of the stick back-pressure quickly silences
the small piezo horn's warning signal.
Dick Johnson
Old March 15th 04, 04:01 PM
Ian Johnston

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 13:46:48 UTC, cernauta
wrote:

: We must think
: world-wise if we want to create an opportunity for development of the
: sport.

Why?

Ian

Old March 15th 04, 04:12 PM
Tony Verhulst

Soaring ought to be about flying the aircraft, not just monitoring the
government-mandated distractions. The thing would either be activated during
most thermaling,

If the problem you're solving is landing accidents, simply disable the
device while the gear is up. If you have fixed gear.....

or have such a close tolerance as to give no useful warning
to those who would most need it

This is a good point. The Skylane that I own a small piece of has a horn
that sounds about 10 kts before the actual stall - and as such, is
pretty useless, IMHO. This is pretty typical for most power planes and
during a normal landing you expect it to go off. The problem with a
close tolerance is false alarms. If the alarm goes off too often due to
gusts, or what ever, a pilot will tend to ignore it when it's really
trying to tell you something.

Dick Johnson feels that a properly designed stall warning works in
gliders. He knows more than I. Still, I can't help but think of all the
power pilots that have landed gear up while the gear warning was
blaring. They were (typically) totally distracted during a high pressure
situation and either did not hear it or failed to grasp its significance.

Tony V.

Old March 15th 04, 04:16 PM
Andreas Maurer

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 07:12:18 GMT, Jack wrote:

Right on! And exactly why we get so many arrogant and ultimately ignorant
remarks concerning the so-called inadequacies of the PW-5. Clearly, too many
people don't understand the concept of competition.

Gliding is not about competition.
Gliding is about having fun.

As others have pointed out before, I don't have fun to spent my
hard-earned money on a Ka-6 performing glider instead of a beautiful
ASW-20.

Not to mention that I don't have fun to fly such a thing after I'm
used to the performance of a 40+ L/D.

Bye
Andreas
Old March 15th 04, 04:48 PM
Stewart Kissel

Well not so sure Jack does not have a point, Ben.
In your post dated 10 March at 10:12-

In 5 sentences you managed to,
1.) Use 'I' six times
2.) Mention your latest ship twice
3.) Mention your first ship once
4.) Use 'overprice rubbish' to describe other's aircraft

So maybe that stereotype of the 'gl***hole' has some
validity.

At 12:24 15 March 2004, Ben Flewett wrote:
Jack,

You are right. I take back everything I have said
about the PW5.
SNIP
Are you honestly suggesting that people should WANT
to sell their beautiful German sailplanes and buy PW5s?

Have you ever flown a glider?

Ben.

Old March 15th 04, 05:26 PM
Ben Flewett

Stewart,

You must be more bored than me.

1) So what?
2) So what?
3) So what?
4) Someone made a similarly derogatory remark about
my sailplane type a few postings ago - I was not offended
as they are entitled to their opinion.

The fact remains - you can't dictate to people what
they _should_ want. Otherwise, the World Class would
be a roaring success and I would be wrong. But (sadly)
it's not and I'm not.

Regards,

Ben.

Old March 15th 04, 06:50 PM
Liam Finley

If PW-5 owners are really as content as they claim to be, why are they
so touchy and defensive?

I think it's pretty obvious that they are in denial. They invested in
these machines thinking that the world class would take off, and
instead it flopped, and they are stuck with these expensive fiberglass
lawn ornanments, and that reality is just too disturbing for them to
come to terms with. So they attack the messengers instead.

If PW-5'ers did more flying and less whining perhaps they could
convince us otherwise.

Jon Meyer wrote in message ...
I think you are missing the point that most people
have made about the PW5, those that aren't ignorant
anyway. The point is that it does not perform well
enough to justify the price tag. I cannot understand
the mentality of people who would rather fork out £20k+
for a sailplane with the performance only slightly
better than a K6e when they could get a second hand
LS4 or ASW20 for the same or less money! I would have
thought that a one-type class based on an existing
design (which could be very cheaply put back into production)
would make far more sense. After all, some of us can't
even afford a brand new PW5, but can afford an old
ratty ASW20 or LS4.
This is not about elitism in terms of money, its about
common sense and value for money. The PW5 has an abundance
of neither.
LS4 for the world class!

Old March 15th 04, 06:55 PM
Bruce Greeff

I'm so tight in my Cirrus I can inadvertently open the airbrakes by moving my
left arm back.

There is enough friction between my arm and the actuator to overcome the
geometric lock.

Quite exciting when you do that on your first single seater launch in a Cirrus
on a winch...

Old March 15th 04, 07:15 PM
G.Kurek

And you think that you can find a legitimate company that will make
LS-4 in the same price range? Where/how do I put down payment?!!