starting out with BLIPmaps and soaring predictions

Old October 24th 09, 12:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
brianDG303[_2_]

Default starting out with BLIPmaps and soaring predictions

I have a few hours into studying the subject and there is an awful lot
of information, much of it in contradiction. I'm currently reading
through all the articles linked to Dr. Jack and spent some time on
Skew T although I have a hard time putting a lot of value on skew T as
it's based on soundings at least one mountain range away from where I
fly. I'm trying to narrow it all down to one or two sources I can
start with and then add more as I get some understanding of the
concepts and I would like any feedback I can get as to which one or
two and any information that might help. I have and am reading
'Understanding The Sky'. This is for flying in the Cascade mountain
range North of Seattle, mostly.

Thanks all,

Brian
Old October 24th 09, 05:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

On Oct 23, 4:28*pm, brianDG303 wrote:
I have a few hours into studying the subject and there is an awful lot
of information, much of it in contradiction. I'm currently reading
through all the articles linked to Dr. Jack and spent some time on
Skew T although I have a hard time putting a lot of value on skew T as
it's based on soundings at least one mountain range away from where I
fly. I'm trying to narrow it all down to one or two sources I can
start with and then add more as I get some understanding of the
concepts and I would like any feedback I can get as to which one or
two and any information that might help. I have and am reading
'Understanding The Sky'. This is for flying in the Cascade mountain
range North of Seattle, mostly.

Thanks all,

Brian

You can get forecast skew-t soundings from all the forecast models for
any location and in my experience these are usually better than actual
soundings. I fly near Tucson where we have daily soundings (one of
the radiosondes landed on our gliderport last year) but find they are
often hopelessly optimistic. Looking at the relatively rapid-cycle
models (RUC and NAM) will generally give you a better idea, especially
when they are in genral agreement. The models incorporate data from
actual soundings. I have links on my soaring website to skew-t useful
locations around our state, but these days often just use the skew-T
function from XCSKies.

Mike

BLIPMAPS and GPS_LOG Henryk Birecki Soaring 0 June 7th 07 10:19 PM
2004 Election predictions N9NWO Naval Aviation 4 November 1st 04 12:35 PM
Blipmaps Tom Ruble Soaring 4 May 27th 04 02:48 AM
ETA BLIPMAPs DrJack Soaring 0 March 1st 04 03:18 AM
Dr Jack's BLIPMAPS Jim Soaring 7 December 2nd 03 08:44 PM