HURRICANE PROOF BUILDINGS

Old August 28th 04, 06:32 PM
geo

"Juan Jimenez" wrote in message

Geo, ever heard the story of what happens when you try to teach a pig to
sing?

Speaking of pigs I'm beginning to understand the biblical quote: "cast not
your pearls before swine". Progress is ever thus: ridiculed, decried,
grudgingly accepted, mainstream. What a drag on civilization a closed mind
is.

Old August 28th 04, 08:12 PM
Matt Whiting

geo wrote:
"Matt Whiting" wrote in message

Blueskies wrote:

The concrete homes are cooler also...

Until they get warmed up and then they stay hotter.

Who in their right mind would build an uninsulated concrete home in a
tropical (or freezing) environment? The Monolithic Dome technology utilizes
polyurethane insulation (the most efficient insulation generally available).
Then they're 50% - 70% more energy efficient.
http://www.monolithic.com/plan_design/rfairy/
http://www.monolithic.com/plan_design/polyurethane/

Then they aren't cooler becaues they are concrete, they are cooler
because of the insulation. You can insulate any form of construction,
not just concrete.

Matt

Old August 28th 04, 08:45 PM
Morgans

"B2431" wrote

You keep posting the company brochures. If you are going to continue to

push
their products how about coming up with an independent citation from a
verifiable source.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

What gets me, is the idea that they would make a great shelter for
aircraft. Some of the pictures I saw, showed the building in one piece,
with the doors blown off. How would you put big doors in one of the domes,
anyway? Seems like all the strength would be gone, then you still have to
worry about the strength of the doors.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 28th 04, 11:47 PM
geo

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message

Who in their right mind would build an uninsulated concrete home in a
tropical (or freezing) environment? The Monolithic Dome technology

utilizes
polyurethane insulation (the most efficient insulation generally

available).
Then they're 50% - 70% more energy efficient.
http://www.monolithic.com/plan_design/rfairy/
http://www.monolithic.com/plan_design/polyurethane/

Then they aren't cooler becaues they are concrete, they are cooler
because of the insulation. You can insulate any form of construction,
not just concrete.

And the Monolithic Dome would be 50-70% more efficient.

Old August 28th 04, 11:52 PM
geo

"B2431" wrote in message

Another concern would be the wasted space and difficulty in cleaning the

floor
near the edges of the floor. I'm 6' 2" and don't relish the idea of not

being
able to stand up straight in most of it. Just doing rough math in my head

I'd
say that if the dome was 10 feet high on the inside I'd be unable to stand

up
straight in 2/3 of the place.

Depends on the angle of curvature Dan. Don't you know that?

Old August 29th 04, 01:07 AM
Matt Whiting

geo wrote:

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message

Who in their right mind would build an uninsulated concrete home in a
tropical (or freezing) environment? The Monolithic Dome technology

utilizes

polyurethane insulation (the most efficient insulation generally

available).

Then they're 50% - 70% more energy efficient.
http://www.monolithic.com/plan_design/rfairy/
http://www.monolithic.com/plan_design/polyurethane/

Then they aren't cooler becaues they are concrete, they are cooler
because of the insulation. You can insulate any form of construction,
not just concrete.

And the Monolithic Dome would be 50-70% more efficient.

More efficient that what? Certainly not very space efficient. When did
you get your dome distributorship?

Matt