Mil-Spec and Mil-Spec kit?

Old October 9th 06, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Michael Horowitz

Default Mil-Spec and Mil-Spec kit?

I'd like to read MIL-SPEC TT-P-1757, which talks about zinc chromate.
GOOGLING for it, I see offers to /sell/ the document.

Shouldn't that spec be available on-line somewhere?

Second, I see offers for "Mil-Spec TT-P-1757 kit". What would the
'kit' consist of? - Mike

Old October 10th 06, 01:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Skrud

Sure, it's he

http://assist.daps.dla.mil/quicksearch/

Under "Document ID" type: TT-P
Under "Document Number" type 1757

Leave the "Title" Field blank.

When the page comes up, click on TT-P-1757B

Old October 10th 06, 01:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Skrud

Default Mil-Spec and Mil-Spec kit?, cont'd

Oops.

Then scroll down, select either Revision A or B in the little .pdf file
icons.

I use this all the time foe AN, MS and NAS specs. Not everything's there,
but a lot of it is.

Scott

Old October 10th 06, 04:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Juan Jimenez[_1_]

If it hasn't happened already, all MIL SPECS have been transitioned to SAE
specs. At least that's what I was told was happening.

Old October 10th 06, 04:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
flybynightkarmarepair

Juan Jimenez wrote:
If it hasn't happened already, all MIL SPECS have been transitioned to SAE
specs. At least that's what I was told was happening.

There is definitely a trend towards "Consensus Standards", but it's far
from ALL. The DoD has found out it's not nesessarily any cheaper,
since he standards setting bodies don't generally take up a standards
unless someone is willing to fund it.

If you have to have a research, development, and engineering
establishment anyway to find good ways of doing things, you may as well
have them write up the results of their research into a spec.

Ryan "Been There, Done That - Both Ways" Young

Old October 11th 06, 06:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
flybynightkarmarepair

Michael Horowitz wrote:
Second, I see offers for "Mil-Spec TT-P-1757 kit". What would the
'kit' consist of? - Mike

Some of those primers are two-packs - the Wash Primers have an acid
component that gets mixed with the resin and pigment; others are epoxy
or urethane based. A "kit" is all the components needed for a
particular type of primer.

As for me, I use a self-etching primer from NAPA that comes in a rattle
can unless I'm feeling obsessive. Then I've got some Stits Epoxy
Primer I bought years ago to mix and shoot. The pros who I thought
were going to shoot the Stits hated the stuff; they liked the Sterling
two-pack primers better, and so I bought what they were willing to
shoot.

Don't obsess about this stuff. You're probably not building an Navy
fighter that's going to spend a lot of it's life soaked in salt spray.