"Volunteer contest write-ups", we (the home bodies) appreciate it!!!

Old July 15th 15, 10:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Default "Volunteer contest write-ups", we (the home bodies) appreciate it!!!

As the thread title states, for those of us NOT at a contest, we (mostly racing pilots & crew) really appreciate the time/effort "volunteers" put in to report on what is happening.

I will say I have my favorite reporters (Janine.... sorry....), but any info is better than nothing.
I will NOT slam some, I will applaud others (with a hug if need be, expecting a "slap on the face".... if need be) but a "thanks to everyone else" that provides some of the "day to day" info.

The contest site should understand that us "home bodies" want a better view of what is going on beyond what SSA.org provides.

I, and likely others, like the other info provided, but understand that this is someone spending their time to satisfy those of us not at the site.

If any reporters want some "beer/wine money to continue", let me know, I'll start a contest fund.

Have a great contest season, wish I could be there as well......
Old July 16th 15, 12:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Wednesday, July 15, 2015 at 3:32:18 PM UTC-6, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
[...]

Did you, and others, watch any of the many videos from the Sports Class Nationals on the SSA Facebook page?

Frank Whiteley
Old July 16th 15, 03:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

On Wednesday, July 15, 2015 at 7:31:14 PM UTC-4, Frank Whiteley wrote:
[...]

Yes, I did. Partly since I had family flying in the contest.
Otherwise, "I don't do Facebook"......
Old July 16th 15, 01:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

I want glider contest reporting to be more social but "I don't do facebook."

I want to be a cyclist but I don't want to buy a bike...

Good luck! ;-)
Old July 16th 15, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
gkemp

On Wednesday, July 15, 2015 at 2:32:18 PM UTC-7, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
[...]

I agree, great job to those who provide, enjoyed the videos too. I still follow most of the contests but am seeing fewer and fewer of my old friends in them.

gkemp
Old July 16th 15, 06:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

On Thursday, July 16, 2015 at 8:27:48 AM UTC-4, Sean Fidler wrote:
I want glider contest reporting to be more social but "I don't do facebook."

I want to be a cyclist but I don't want to buy a bike...

Good luck! ;-)

I don't believe I asked for the reports to be "more social", I wanted to point out that "well done reports" are a great way to know about things happening beyond the scoresheet.
I also wanted to give "props" to the volunteers that take their time to provide those reports.

Simple text online contest reports have been done for years, if others also like the videos or Facebook media, then fine.
Charlie Spratt's newsletter did a fine job, but after the fact.

Some contests can't find a volunteer to do reports, so you miss a lot of other things going on at the contest based on only seeing race results.

Again, to those that do the reports, I thank you.

PS, I miss Charlie S. "Good finish Charlie Sierra!".
Old July 16th 15, 08:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

On Thursday, 16 July 2015 11:54:40 UTC-6, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
[...]

I will start by thanking the volunteers that host and make contests happen. As stated above if there is enough time, energy or resource(s) available at the end of the day to write a report for the SSA site then icing on the cake.

I understand that not all folks use or prefer FB but it is a medium that is easy to setup and allows ANYONE participating in the contest to post pictures, stories etc etc.

I personally ask and encourage all folks that participate in contests to provide their perspective(s) and stories on a contest provided medium or ANY location of their own.

Ron Gleason
Old July 17th 15, 03:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks for the feedback. Eric, the new SOARING editor wanted me to include some comments on all the Facebook videos I posted for the Sports Class Nationals. We didn't have much else to do thanks to the jet stream. The thing I liked about using the Facebook "embed post" code I was able to post Facebook videos in the SSA report field for the official report. Please let me know that in fact, those that don't have a Facebook page could see the posts and videos. It would help me confirm that it's a good way to include videos.. The contest director for the Fall event in Elmira contacted me and wanted to do the same for that event. I've be trying to post videos with my iPhone since they came out ten years ago. Only this year with my new iPhone 6s, have I accomplished the task. It's amazing how Facebook compresses the video and uploads it quickly. Even with marginal cell phone coverage. It made it a lot more fun than wearing my fingers to the bone taking notes and then staying up until the wee hours transcribing the notes for the official report. Thanks for any feedback. , 513-260-9025.
Old July 17th 15, 01:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

On Thursday, July 16, 2015 at 10:38:42 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

No I don't have a Facebook account.
Yes, I could view the videos that were embedded in the reports.
Old July 17th 15, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I heard that Facebook is run by the NSA... ;-)
(It's cloudy here today)

--
Dan Marotta